Places to be published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmrock

Registered
Reaction score
Where can a first time, young, author get a short horor piece published?

I have been looking at small circulation mags. as well as online zines, but ti is really starting to confuse me.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to climb the ladder here, start with some little magazines and work up to finding an agent and getting some novels published, i could really use some guidence. - thanks

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Being first time or young really doesn't matter--but if you want to start with zines I have always thought Dark Animus had some good stories. You might want to ask over in the horror forum.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't think of any horror magazine that would refuse a submission from a yet-to-be-published author. On the other hand, I can't think of even a tiny e-zine that will =guarantee= acceptance of a story.

So, basically, a first time author can get published in =any= magazine -- if his story is both good enough and fits the magazine's needs.

Read horror magazines. Read their guidelines. Submit your stories to magazines that publish stories like yours and for which your stories fit the guidelines in terms of length, style, whatever. Try www.ralan.com for a comprehensive list of markets. Many authors find it helpful to compile a list of ten or twenty markets suitable for any given story, and then to start submitting at the top (in terms of prestige, pay, circulation) and work their way down. If all the markets send rejections, then you can decide to either make a new list, or trunk the story and try again with a different story.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
jjmrock said:
Where can a first time, young, author get a short horor piece published?

I have been looking at small circulation mags. as well as online zines, but ti is really starting to confuse me.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to climb the ladder here, start with some little magazines and work up to finding an agent and getting some novels published, i could really use some guidence. - thanks

Have you tried these:

http://horror.fictionfactor.com/fiction.html

More listings here: http://darkmarkets.com/index.php?showcat=Magazines

This site can be very useful: http://bloodletters.com/goblin/

There are also magazines listed at teh bottom of this page: http://www.redinkworks.com/horror_resources.htm

Really, editors are concerned with how new you are, but with how well you write, so don't be afraid to try the top magazines. The worst that can happen is a rejection, and you may even receive some helpful comments from the editor.

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Hey JJmrock! Welcome to the AW Cooler. :welcome:

Submitting and sifting through the various magazines isn't easy. A lot of times it's necessary to do this to figure out where's the best place to submit your work. But there are tools out there that can help you narrow down your search. My favourite is Story Pilot. It's a search engine for most magazines out there. You can search by genre, word count, or pretty much anything.

The size of the magazine and it's circulation doesn't matter as much as if your story will fit into the image that magazine is trying to portray. That's why no matter what Story Pilot brings up it's still good to research it a bit.

Hope that helps! :)

jjmrock

Registered
Reaction score
thanks guys

wow, that's a lot of help, those websites are great. thanks guys!

jjmrock

Registered
Reaction score
cool

Spicy green Iguana is totally cool, the name alone is reason enough for me, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.