"Weird" Al honors good writing on new album

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The song is [FONT=&quot]Word Crimes, which is riffed off of Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines".

This song alone has sold me on the album--like I needed a hard sell. ;)

[/FONT]

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Lord, I'm wiping away tears of laughter. I just wish he had fit in a "him and I" reference.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I love Weird Al. That was awesome!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I strongly considered posting this in Grammar and Syntax (and it's been so long I forget the fancier name that forum used to have).

It was all great, except the P**** C*** scene with its two eyes sent me into a horrible flashback. #msoffice

Anyway, that song is so Last Year.

It's only the second video from the album - yesterday was the first of eight videos, to be released daily of songs from his new album, as documented on his website:
http://www.weirdal.com

The site isn't quite working for me, but yesterday's video is called "Tacky," a take-off of some I'm-sure-its-obscure song called "Happy," and it stars several people I'm supposed to know:
http://www.nerdist.com/vepisode/weird-al-yankovic-gets-tacky-with-pharrells-happy/

I knew about today's song because I heard him being interviewed yesterday on NPR:
http://www.salon.com/2014/07/14/wei...videos_tacky_a_parody_of_pharrells_hit_happy/

...Are you a wholesome person by nature?

Well, I guess I kind of am. It's sort of the way I was raised, and my art and my comedy and my music is sort of an extension of my personality. I didn't set out to be a family-friendly recording artist but that's sort of the way it happened, and it's a wonderful thing.
But I could swear that song Word Crimes has a smutty, dirty double entendre or two.

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to work the song into a grammar lesson for my high school students!

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Bah-hahahahaha! That was awesome. :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy obscure? I honestly thought everyone had heard that one by now. It's everywhere.

Honestly, I heard "Happy" for the first time (and recognized it) only today. I may've heard it before, but I only recognized it because of Al's video.

Yeah, I do live under a rock. ;)

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Weird Al apologizes for offending with 'spastic' lyric in Word Crimes parody
After several bloggers pointed out that the term has been used as a derogatory reference to those with cerebral palsy, Yankovic took to Twitter to apologize for the gaffe, claiming he was unaware of the connotations. “If you thought I didn’t know that ‘spastic’ is considered a highly offensive slur by some people … you’re right, I didn’t,” he wrote. “Deeply sorry.”
A good move, IMO. It's disappointing that words like 'spastic' and 'retard' still get used as insults in popular culture in 2014. I'm kind of astonished that you could be ignorant of where the word comes from, though.