PDA

View Full Version : George R. R. Martin Is Mad

Taylor Harbin
07-15-2014, 06:14 AM
Actually, he's only a tad bit upset.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/stargazing/article704622.html

Synonym
07-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Why am I not surprised? :)

Although the fans would love for him to churn out books like a like a plow horse goes through hay...we know it's not that simple.

jjdebenedictis
07-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Good for him.

It takes a special kind of egomaniacal entitlement to moan over the possibility that some fellow human being might get sick or die, for fuck's sake, without you getting a book you want to read. Fellow human being's health >>>>>> Entertainment.

Albedo
07-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Fans are the worst.

benbradley
07-15-2014, 07:45 AM
I saw another pic where he's holding up the finger in question and looking into the camera. I suppose it's not every author who can do that at fans and still have then waiting for his next book.

ETA: (and scroll down for the dramatic animated gif):
http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/07/09/george-rr-martin-f-you/

I'm wondering about Donald Knuth. He's been writing "The Art of Computer Programming" for I-forget-how-long, but I first read volumes 1 an 2 in the late 70s.

At least Douglas Adams got through with his trilogy, and even expanded on it, before he died at a rather young age.

J.S.F.
07-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Can't say I blame the guy for getting pissed, but at the same time, he is not young, and he looks to be very overweight. So it stands to reason someone might wonder if he's gonna drop dead before he manages to get another book out.

While that sounds rather cold, let me qualify that statement. I have never read anything he's written so I can't say if he's a good writer or not. It's obvious, though, he's popular and has a lot of fans and that's fine as far as it goes.

However, when I see someone who's in the rather to grossly overweight category at a relatively advanced age of sixty or more, I'm also going to wonder if they're in decent enough health. If I were a fan, I wouldn't ask him to complete the book before he dropped dead, but I would privately wonder if he was sick or not. I think that's only natural.

This is coming from a person who used to weigh around three hundred pounds in his late twenties and knows damn well what it's like to be obese.

Helix
07-15-2014, 08:14 AM
This is not a new thing, though. Martin has been putting up with it for years.

Here's Neil Gaiman in 2009 commenting on the issue of fans getting pissed off at Martin (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html) for doing things other than writing the next novel to their preferred schedule.

scifi_boy2002
07-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Even if it was insensitive for fans to worry more about him finishing his book, than his health, I think he was a jerk for how he replied. I don't think every person that wonders about him finishing the book is a horrible person. It would be natural for any of his fans to wonder that. It doesn't mean they all give more importance for the book than him. At least not all of them. I guess because he has made it he feels he can say or do whatever he wants. He knows at this point it won't hurt his sales. I know, some of you will say that he is a human being too and that he has the right to say screw you to his fans. He does. But who was it that got him there? You can be the best writer in the world, but it still takes fans to make you popular. I would give anything just to have a fraction of his fame as a writer.

BenPanced
07-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Even if it was insensitive for fans to worry more about him finishing his book, than his health, I think he was a jerk for how he replied. I don't think every person that wonders about him finishing the book is a horrible person. It would be natural for any of his fans to wonder that. It doesn't mean they all give more importance for the book than him. At least not all of them. I guess because he has made it he feels he can say or do whatever he wants. He knows at this point it won't hurt his sales. I know, some of you will say that he is a human being too and that he has the right to say screw you to his fans. He does. But who was it that got him there? You can be the best writer in the world, but it still takes fans to make you popular. I would give anything just to have a fraction of his fame as a writer.
See this:

This is not a new thing, though. Martin has been putting up with it for years.

Here's Neil Gaiman in 2009 commenting on the issue of fans getting pissed off at Martin (http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html) for doing things other than writing the next novel to their preferred schedule.
He's been putting up with it long enough, so I'd say he's perfectly justified in his reaction. Bitching and moaning to him about it isn't going to make him write any faster, especially when he's addressed this sort of thing already. If he's writing at a pace that's comfortable for him and is in tune with when the next book(s) is/are to be delivered according to his contract, that's up to him.

Pikko
07-15-2014, 10:04 AM
While I'm one of those people pissed at how long he takes to put out books, for me it's not about putting my reading pleasure before his possible death, it's that the books have slowly but surely declined in quality.

Nearly 15 years after I first read his books, I'm now a fan completely hooked onto his compelling and amazing characters and he takes 6 years to put out the "second half" of what was once one long book and fills it with characters you really don't care about. A Dance with Dragons was such a meandering bore and extremely anti-climactic, so now I feel like I'm just waiting for the TV show to tell me how it ends in a more fantastic fashion fitting the novels he started off writing.

That said, I'm sure he's put up with mountains of crap from fans over the years, including hundreds of people who rated/reviewed his pending book titles based purely on his slow writing. I can't say I wouldn't flip the bird to those masses in his shoes.

WriteMinded
07-15-2014, 06:01 PM
I love the guy's books, but I did not buy his last one. I had hoped and expected that it would be the final of the series. When I found out that it was not, I decided I didn't want to read about the deaths of more beloved characters, only to be left in limbo - again.

Shadow_Ferret
07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Who?

StarWombat
07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
On the one hand, I agree with him completely (even though I'm not a fan of his work) On the other hand, I remember Robert Jordan passing away and leaving his work for other writers to finish. Now, I am a fan of Brandon Sanderson, but his posthumous collaboration with Jordan wasn't the best of either author's work.

And there's something distinctly reminiscent of Melanie Rawn in how long it takes Martin to get through books -- and she takes so long between them that she often forgets basic plotpoints from the preceding novel.

gcommon
07-15-2014, 09:44 PM
What a bunch of A-Holes!

scifi_boy2002
07-17-2014, 10:51 PM
See this:

He's been putting up with it long enough, so I'd say he's perfectly justified in his reaction. Bitching and moaning to him about it isn't going to make him write any faster, especially when he's addressed this sort of thing already. If he's writing at a pace that's comfortable for him and is in tune with when the next book(s) is/are to be delivered according to his contract, that's up to him.

I understand that, but for me it's not that he is complaining about it, it's the way he did it. There are many other writers, performers, singers, and so on, that keep getting asked questions over and over. Look at the Beatles, after they broke up nearly every interview was "when are the Beatles getting back together?" I'm sure they were sick of it, but I don't recall them ever telling the fans "screw you" for asking it. Maybe they did and I missed it. Maybe John Lennon did. I'm not saying it is wrong for him to be mad because of it. But I think is rude to have replied like that. I don't care if the fans have done it for 50 years. Hey, there is a price for fame. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Helix
07-18-2014, 04:33 AM
I understand that, but for me it's not that he is complaining about it, it's the way he did it. There are many other writers, performers, singers, and so on, that keep getting asked questions over and over. Look at the Beatles, after they broke up nearly every interview was "when are the Beatles getting back together?" I'm sure they were sick of it, but I don't recall them ever telling the fans "screw you" for asking it. Maybe they did and I missed it. Maybe John Lennon did. I'm not saying it is wrong for him to be mad because of it. But I think is rude to have replied like that. I don't care if the fans have done it for 50 years. Hey, there is a price for fame. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

They don't want him to get out of the kitchen. They want him to get into the kitchen and make them a literary sandwich. Since they don't own him, the kitchen or the ingredients and utensils, he's telling them they can wait. But after years of their rude and offensive demands, he's telling them they can wait in a language they understand.

Entitlement is not a virtue.

scifi_boy2002
07-18-2014, 07:03 AM
They don't want him to get out of the kitchen. They want him to get into the kitchen and make them a literary sandwich. Since they don't own him, the kitchen or the ingredients and utensils, he's telling them they can wait. But after years of their rude and offensive demands, he's telling them they can wait in a language they understand.

Entitlement is not a virtue.

Well, that won't stop them. If anything, it will make it worse. I can understand him getting to the point where he's so frustrated that he blows his top which is apparently what he did. But rude behavior does not help. Has anyone here ever had someone tell you to screw off and that alone made you change your mind or your actions? Yes people can be rude to authors and actors and that is not right. But, again, doesn't that come with the territory? It might not be fair to the author, but I would trade my humble writing career for his success--rude fans and all.

WriteMinded
07-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Ahh well. I just love him like he is, finger and all.

regdog
07-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Who?

The author of the book series HBO's Game of Thrones is based on. Game of Thrones thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241514)