Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I've been asked to prepare a budget of sorts, and since I'm completely clueless, any help or information is appreciated. If someone were traveling around North America (say New York City), Europe (say Rome) and Asia (say China), I'm interested in knowing how much it would cost (per day) in terms of the following:

1. Hotels (nothing too fancy)
2. Food
3. Renting an apartment
4. Transportation within the city (cabs, buses, etc)

I know I could Google this stuff (and I have), but I'm really looking for people who're actually living in these cities/countries or have been there, because I keep getting information based on "tourist budgets" and I'm trying to find actual costs for a tiny budget.

Thanks!

loquax

I verb nouns adverbly
Registered
Reaction score
If it's a tiny budget, then you wont be staying in hotels - it's hostels or the streets. I've hosteled europe, and they go down to about 10, and up to about 30 euros a night. Food costs all over europe will be around 10 euros a day unless you go to restaurants, then you're looking about 15 a day including an evening meal. Transport depends on how far you're going, but generally travelling within a city is pennies - cross country train and buses will cost about 30 euros for a whole day of travelling.

But this is all really budget stuff.

Simran

I'll try and get you the info for NY Mridu and Boston if you want it. :)

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
NYC I can help with; I'm living here on a tight budget. I've also traveled through much of the rest of the country, and it's a fair bit different.

Housing is the big one in NYC -- it's really tough to get affordable housing, and "affordable" housing here is affordable only by comparision to what most people pay in this city. If you get out of the city, housing goes down a lot. A traditional solution if you're only there briefly is to stay with someone you know -- it'll save you hundreds, maybe thousands. If you're there more long term, you probably want to go in with some other people for rent. If you don't know anybody, aren't staying long enough to rent, and can't stay outside of town and commute in, you're looking for a rescue mission, or you'd better be well off.

Transportation isn't bad; you can get just about anything you need on foot, and if you're staying for any length of time, the buses and subways aren't bad at all; you can probably get anywhere you need to for less than $4-8/day. Cabs are expensive.

Food costs however much you let it; you can live on Ramen and water for $3-4/day, probably less, but I wouldn't recommend it for long. You can get a decent breakfast (if you're into bagels, or eggs on a roll, or some such) for just $2-4 here; a terrific, unbelievably good lunch sandwich will only run you $5 (with the soda). A slice or two of pizza does a great job for dinner and only costs $5-6 tops. Or you can cook for yourself cheaply for somewhere in between the two.

If you want more info, feel free to let me know; I've never had much money, but I've lived here for 3+ years now. There's other corners you can cut, and ways to get around things, depending on how long you're staying and what you're doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.