Aftermath of a Big Storm

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
We're in our rainy season here in Southern AZ and yesterday evening we had a big storm. Wind driving the rain loudly against the windows and everything. Every few minutes, someone looked out the dining room window to make sure the chickens were OK. Turns out we didn't need to worry about the chickens.

A few hours later, the rain started to subside. Suddenly the power went out. :Wha: Fortunately it wasn't sunset just yet and the curtains were open. There was barely enough light to read a non-large type book, but at least we could get around without tripping. Of course, we looked the window at the chickens, who were walking around the run like they didn't give a cluck about the rain. Dad went out to say hello to them and see how they were doing.

I can't remember what he said when he looked out the backdoor and saw what happened to our palo verde tree; it probably involved cuss words.

FallenPV.png

(Picture I took the next morning.)

:Jaw:
Yep, the wind had uprooted the palo verde tree (the roots are behind the recycle bin). If we had looked to the left instead of focusing on the coop, we might've see it before the power outage. No major damage, but we will need a new clothesline.

The chickens, who were nowhere near the tree, were just fine. The coop merely needed a few more bricks to weigh the shade screens down.

The power came back a couple hours later.

The weather says we could have another big storm like that tonight. Here's hoping and praying that this time there won't be power outages, falling trees, or chicken problems.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you lost a tree, but glad the chickens are okay.

:D

Stay safe out there!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hope that is the last of your excitement this monsoon season.

I do have to say that your palo verde is a twig compared to the cottonwood we lost some years back. There were two good things, it fell into the yard instead of on top of the block fence, and we have a really big yard so it wasn't near the house. My BIL took a picture of hubby standing next to the root ball area, and it was taller than hubby. Tree was probably 40-50 feet tall.

MM