Medieval Physic & Cirurgian Needed STAT!

Creative Cowboy

A Reader Is A Writer's Best Friend.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This looks like the place....

[I tried a search but, as I am a writer, I really need to further encouragement to procrastinate. You know what i mean. I did read some really interesting things some marketer decided was close to medieval medicine. .... I will try not to go back to it I said this at least once before.]:TheWave:

Can anyone here point me to where I can find information about The Humours? How about the four elements in medical diagnosis?

For example, should I only apply dung to an open wound and is there another application for this remedy? Is there a book that allows me to physic like a boss (circa 1199)? :hat:

Yes, European medieval medicine research time. I am a layman, Jim, not a doctor. (Please be gentle.) I am also in a foreign language country so a reference library is no good to me unless they deliver, or it's a safe Google site (I am stuck surfing with XP). I need a non-fiction place to start finding a variety of medieval medical diagnoses and I don't mind spending my time leisurely reading so long as it's not about someone's Google marketing. :flag:

I also need to create my own home library so if you have an Amazon affiliate link, hit me with it. I'll be happy to oblige if the book is what I am seeking. ;)

:thankyou:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
books.google.com

Do a simple search.

A variety of books, from a variety of definitions of the word, including:

The Letting of Humours: Blood in the Head-Vaine by Rowlands.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
In addition to Google books, also try archive.org (ULTRAGOTHA is reciting the mantra again....)

Archive.org has most of Google books documents plus many many more they scanned themselves. Their scanning technology is far beter than Google books was and is much easier to read.

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Internet Intelligence - The Oxymoron

A quick Google yeilded this site. I'm not sure about his writing, but there are five interesting books in the bibliography.

This is a fine summary! Thank you for this. It gives me a grip on the basics. Hard to know what questions to ask when the form of the answer is given in the structure of a foreign (medieval) language.

This thing: http://greenmedicine.ie/school/images/Library/Old-Time%20Makers%20of%20Medicine.pdf

goes on; crosses my eyes; cure insomnia without modern pharmacology. On the positive, it goes into pedantic depth offering on a few nuggets of charcoal in a blinding array of diamonds. I am looking for the coal to burn my imagination not the hardest substance to bang my head. See I can find frustration on my own.

Apart from the problem that no one reads it, the great problem seeking a recommendation from The Internet IMHO is that, ultimately, appealing to The Internet for an answer is by no way making a recommendation. It is worse than (using a WC Fields voice) saying "get to the local library kid..." where one would reasonably expect a librarian to be somewhat familiar with what they're recommending. Google is not a guide or a substitute for opinion/recommendation.

Sorry for the rant. Actually, I am more sorry for a lack of recommendations. Has anyone else besides Duncan and King actually read something they would be so kind to share, please? I am seeking a recommendation that would cut my time down from months to weeks. [I know about the Intertubes. It is through one of those tubes I am contacting you now.]

Has anyone read any of these books, who can give an opinion?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1442601035/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1442601035&linkCode=as2&tag=crowcommun-20&linkId=WYRPJ35LGIR3ZSRQ

What do you think of this one, have you read it?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0275984850/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0275984850&linkCode=as2&tag=crowcommun-20&linkId=HM4LHY4B2EWXY64L

When you read this one, did you get what I am seeking from my search?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNDX69U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00GNDX69U&linkCode=as2&tag=crowcommun-20&linkId=4OR6QVS7325XX7MC

and I do not recommend this one for a guy like me for what I want – but take it from me not a Google-God:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K1ZV544/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00K1ZV544&linkCode=as2&tag=crowcommun-20&linkId=IAB633BU2HM2JHCM

Last edited:

Creative Cowboy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Low Sodium Humble Pie

Apart from the problem that no one reads it, the great problem seeking a recommendation from The Internet IMHO is that, ultimately, appealing to The Internet for an answer is by no way making a recommendation. It is worse than (using a WC Fields voice) saying "get to the local library kid..." where one would reasonably expect a librarian to be somewhat familiar with what they're recommending. Google is not a guide or a substitute for opinion/recommendation.

Sorry for the rant. Actually, I am more sorry for a lack of recommendations.

Well, after a night's sleep and an intelligent perspective on the helpful Google comments here, I want to apologize to both Williebee and ULTRAGOTHA. I may not appreciate the Googles distraction but I do appreciate willingness to get involved and help. The fact is, this specific question does not seem to have been asked before.

I will share what resources for the layman I can find so others may benefit from a leg up. It might make months of research seem more heroic if not less tedious and tiresome.

I would appreciate any help to cut down my time away from writing while I research this.