PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about slang term

Dennis E. Taylor
07-13-2014, 09:10 PM
University has agronomy and animal husbandry for students studying farming and animal care respectively. A good (and probably common) slang term for the first group would be agro. But I'm coming up blank for a quick slang term for animal husbandry students. Any ideas?

ScarletWhisper
07-13-2014, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't use "agro," personally. It's a gamer term for attracting the attentions of a hostile character. If I were reading it, even if I knew what the book's alternate definition was, I would get hung up on it every time I saw it. I'd be thinking about the definition that I already know.

Animal husbandry students... Maybe fauna?

Lil
07-13-2014, 09:57 PM
Animal husbandry students... Maybe fauna?

LOL. And then the farming students could be called flora?

But seriously, why do you need a slang term for them at all? If there were nicknames commonly used, you (and your readers) would know them.

BDSEmpire
07-13-2014, 10:22 PM
I live next door to a university offering both of those degrees. They're all generically AgSci majors.

I can't imagine anyone who isn't part of the program will know or care about the fine distinctions between the majors.

saizine
07-14-2014, 06:31 AM
I've always found "agro" (or, probably more commonly, "aggro") to just be slang for or short for "aggravation." If I read it I'd be much more likely to assume that meaning (i.e. "so-and-so's causing aggro again!") rather than anything to do with Agronomy or Agricultural Sciences.

AgSci sounds like a much more natural nickname for the courses. Though I have to admit that "flora"/"fauna" sound like good tongue-in-cheek nicknames, perhaps only between the students themselves?

Helix
07-14-2014, 06:53 AM
Aggies would be yer standard nickname for the ag students. I can't recall a nickname for animal husbandry students. Not a repeatable one, anyway.

frimble3
07-14-2014, 07:30 AM
At the University I went to, both groups were known as 'Aggies', for 'Agricultural Sciences Students'. They might have separate terms for each other, among themselves, but for the rest of the students, 'Aggies' was sufficient.
If you want terms for 'among themselves', what sort of animal is the animal husbandry department best known for? UBC has a sheep farm.
'Shep' vs. 'Scarecrow'?
Echoing Helix: " I can't recall a nickname for animal husbandry students. Not a repeatable one, anyway. " Animal + Husbandry, the jokes just write themselves.

Dennis E. Taylor
07-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys. Aggies for now, then. If I end up with some conflict between them, I'll write some of those jokes...

Jerboa
07-14-2014, 01:54 PM
I did animal care at college (this is in the UK so we probably don't use the same terms anyway!) On the same site there was us, the horticultral (horti's) and agricultural (agri's). We just referred to ourselves as the animal care students. If the horti's or agri's had a nickname for us, I don't know it.

shaldna
07-14-2014, 04:10 PM
University has agronomy and animal husbandry for students studying farming and animal care respectively. A good (and probably common) slang term for the first group would be agro. But I'm coming up blank for a quick slang term for animal husbandry students. Any ideas?

I was an agricultural student and we would have just used the names, although we called the farming students / course, just 'farming' and 'the farmers.' Husbandry was always just husbandry to us, but we were usually referred to as 'the horsey girls' or 'equine' as that was the primary focus of our particular course.