When your professional email idea is taken

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
So everybody comes to the point where they need to develope a professional email to be sending out all those queries. I had just planned on using my pen name maybe with a period or two but then all variations thereof were taken.

I guess the simple question from there is, is it still professional if you include a number or two? I'm a perfectionist in a "all or nothing" sort of way. It's either the name as is (with or without periods) or try a new route. No inclusion of finicking numbers. Seems flippant.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I do not like numbers.

Have you tried flipping first and last? My current email is last.first.mi to make it work. (Also I know with gmail that the periods don't make a difference—if someone has firstlast, you can't get first.last and vice versa.)

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of the author thing, tbh. Or maybe even name.writes

Yeah I tried reversing the names and that didn't work either. It's made a bit worse with my name is just my first/middle initials and then the last name which is somewhat short. Le sigh.

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried buying a domain name and getting your email @ that address? My pen name is the full name, at a domain name suitable for the long-term web presence for my series.

Happiness.

Cost - $9.95 a year.

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
That's probably not a half bad idea. Especially if you get a blog in a package deal, eh?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Some hosts out there, if you're not yet ready for a blog, offer an email-only service as well. You get a domain name, and you get some number of email addresses under that domain name.

You can always upgrade it when you're ready.