Little Cabin in the Woods for Writers - What Would You Want in it?

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're buying a little cabin in the woods in August (yey!), and we've been thinking of maybe renting it out for a week or two at a time until we're ready to move in a few years. If you've ever thought of escaping to a cabin for a week to write, what would you look for in that cabin?

It's near a delightful tourist town on a lake where folks come to sailboat in the summer, go hunting in the winter, go berry picking in the fall and play with newborn animals in the spring. A classic tourist town, kayak rentals, enticing islands, local ice cream shop and all.

In other words, a great place to vacation, and a great place to get away and write.

If you were to rent such a place, would you want Internet, or no Internet? Television?

Lots of books to read?

Indoor and outdoor writing spaces is a given...

Would you bring your family and send them off to do touristy things while you write, or would you go solo?

What kinds of things would you want at a cabin to make it better for you as a writer?

If we do this, we'd have all the usual things you'd expect, like linens, dishes (yes, the place has running water, including toilets and showers, heat, AC, a fridge and stove), beds, couches, soft lighting... you know, the usual.

But what makes it special for writers?

This particular property has ten lovely acres of woods, including a year-round creek in the back. It's quite magical, which is one of the reasons we're buying it now, vs a few years down the road when we're ready to move in full time ourselves.

I'm just a planner at heart, and I'm already getting it prepared for a Fall rental in my head. I'm a writer, I love writers, and I love helping writers... so tell me, what would you want in a cabin getaway?

I would also love to know what you think a reasonable rate for a week or weekend getaway is. I know that my budget, like those of many writers, is fairly trim. If I could get the time off work to go off into the woods for a week, I sure wouldn't have a lot of spare funds to spend. What would you do? What feels awesome, what feels reasonable, and what feels like making you laugh when you see that price tag?

The area this cabin is in is famous for outrageous seasonal rentals. They get the executives from big cities like Minneapolis, Chicago and Detroit coming in for a week or weekend with their kids, and fleece them accordingly. Of course, I'm quasi local, so I consider $900-$1,200 a week to be fleecing. If you're from New York, say, you might think that's a steal.

I think $300 is a steal, $450 is reasonable, and I'd only scrummage up $650 or higher if I was bringing my family with me and the cabin was big enough for them and had appropriate bedding, and maybe came with a kayak or two and life jackets.

But I'm frugal by nature, and I'm here to see what you think. :)

And if it matters, this particular cabin is over 1,000 square feet, and can comfortably sleep 4-6 adults, plus kids, if they share space. And it's got the cutest wood stove, apple trees, irregularly fenced backyard for puppies (or toddlers), and a deer stand on the roof (it's cool like that.)

Grin.

Thanks for your thoughts -- just trying to plan ahead to see what I can do/bring/buy to set the place up in a way that appeals to other writers.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I've never stayed in a cabin, so maybe anything I say here would be useless, but I'll put in my 2 cents. :D

As long as it's got modern amenities (running water and a fridge), I'm good.

And I think with that sq. footage you can easily get at least $100 a night, maybe even to $150 a night, and that's just being on the conservative side. It also depends on how convenient everything is (amenities, location, etc.) and the condition, but it sounds like it's a pretty sweet place. This is a short-term rental, people know they'll likely be shelling out more on a nightly rate vs. like if they were renting it on a year-long lease. Hotels rooms run about $75-$100 a night for the average rooms, and the square footage is just a few hundred. Of course, it's got room service, and probably free continental breakfast, but still there seems to be a lot of stuff to boast about the cabin too.

Btw, I'm frugal too, and I would still think that's a reasonable price (if it's as convenient as it sounds)

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No advice re what writers would want, but some general advice.

Utilize the services of a rental agency. If you are more than one hour away, the typical emergencies will get to be a real nuisance. We have a smallish house I inherited that is 6 hours away. We don't rent it out, but this last trip (with 5 extra family members) there was a plumbing problem. Our usual plumber is on vacation, so the problem will wait till he gets back. Your rental agency can take care of things like that much more quickly.

Don't have anything in a rental of sentimental or significant monetary value. Expect things to get broken or grow legs.

That said, it sounds delightful and I hope you really enjoy it.

MM

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful!

Internet: Yes. Some will need to be in contact with professional contacts, crit partners, or--oh, yeah--family. You could offer to turn it off (or just not give the password) to people who don't want the distraction. And if it's not already a given these days, make it wi fi so people can take their laptops out to the porch if there is one, or to a chair outside the door if there isn't.

Books: Yes! A good selection of fiction, non-fiction, a shelf of writing books, a huge dictionary for those who don't want internet.

Television: I don't need it myself, but people probably won't be writing all the time. If they don't bring their families, some might want it for company at times.

Other: Maybe a few games, for those who do bring their families. Cards. A good, well-lit table (or fold-up card table).

I don't know about pricing. Your suggested rates sound very reasonable, but if you do price cheap make sure you have some sort of damage deposit. I can imagine a bunch of kids taking advantage of low rates and partying it up... Or, hey--claim that it's a subsidized rate for writers only, and give those prices for people who submit a writing sample. Then double the rates for non-writers!

Best of luck with it!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When I look at cabins, I look for lots of natural light. Maybe it's just the photographs (it is hard to take pictures with windows), but I can't tell you how often I look at cabin pictures and think how little window area there is, and how dark and yellow most cabins look without it. I'd like one comfortably furnished room that has a lot of window space, whether it's a sunroom or the main living space of the cabin (I've stayed in cabins with either).

I've done internet and no internet. The first time with internet I was very creative, but it was mostly on a shared storyline my friend and I were doing, and we knew that would never get published. It was a worthwhile experience, but not helpful towards publishing. The second time with internet, I did reasonably well with writing, but that was actually where I learned how to query and was a lot more productive with querying than writing. The third time was without internet, and I wrote an entire novel in 3 days. If writing is the main goal, it's clear where the productivity lies. If authors need internet for other things (research, querying, etc.), it's useful to have the option.

When I get a cabin for writing, having the ability to stay in it the whole time (fridge, cooking appliances, dishes, utensils, etc) is a plus, and I really don't care what else there is to do in the area. It is nice if it's not a huge hassle to hit a grocery store if needed, though.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
don't neglect the accoutrements

Several paintings or reproductions. Maybe woodsy scenes. Also a small bookshelf stocked with some classics along with some modern-day titles that are popular. Etc, etc.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
We're buying a little cabin in the woods in August (yey!), and we've been thinking of maybe renting it out for a week or two at a time until we're ready to move in a few years. If you've ever thought of escaping to a cabin for a week to write, what would you look for in that cabin?

It's different.

If I was looking for an escape just to write...
then no internet or TV - but cell service.

I would NOT 'plan' my escape any time near a large game hunting season. (Deer/bear) For some strange reason I don't sleep well knowing there's x-number of semi-drunk armed men wandering about outside trying to prove their machismo by stalking and killing Bambi...

So there's a difference in my head between going there to write and actually living there. =)

If you plan on living there... you need to talk to the locals. How hard is it to get in and out during the winter? Do you need a four wheel drive? Does the power sometimes go out for days on end because the snow and ice have dropped trees on the lines? Then you will need a NEW generator and an electrical person to wire it in for you.

Do you have alternative sources to cook and heat? Like a fireplace? Or a wood stove? A dry place to store said wood? A safe place for emergency water? Was the cabin roofed with those super cute cedar shingles - that catch fire so easily? (bad idea) How long is the driveway? Do you really want to shovel all that by hand?

Are you buying the topsoil only? Who owns the mineral rights? Have the mineral rights been leased to some Not So Safe Fracking Company that's going to show up one day with bulldozers and trucks and 47 men that don't speak English to rearrange everything on your property - and then leave behind a sludge pond of poison, tap water that catches fire, and a very loud pumping station in your front yard?

How close is it to the lake?
Will flood insurance be mandatory?
What's the utility bill averages for the last few years,
and was anyone actually using those utilities?
Can you get one of those thermal energy evaluations from the local power company to see where you might need more insulation? Lots o questions!

If you were to rent such a place, would you want Internet, or no Internet? Television?

If renting it... then sure, TV and interwebz, and nothing in the place that might walk.

Would you bring your family and send them off to do touristy things while you write, or would you go solo?

Yes.

What kinds of things would you want at a cabin to make it better for you as a writer?

Bookshelves - because I'll will fill them with all my reference books. A laptop so I'm not trapped inside at a desk.

...toilets and showers, heat, AC, a fridge and stove), beds, couches, soft lighting... you know, the usual.

Well stocked pantry and a chest freezer. You might not want -or be able to- hop in the car to dash off to the store come winter.

A really good feel for where the emergency services, Doctors, and hospitals are located and how long it takes to get there.
(ie: bit by rattle snake - can you yell and get quick help or do you need airlifted by chopper for an hour long ride?)

But what makes it special for writers?
The quiet. No distractions. Nothing but the voices in your head... heh... scary huh?

I would also love to know what you think a reasonable rate for a week or weekend getaway is.

No idea on cost of local rentals. Ask the local relator, travel agents, and property caretaker services. Check local ads well!

maybe came with a kayak or two and life jackets.

Kayaks are cheep.
Brain surgery - not so much.
Save money.
Buy a helmet.

ScarletWhisper

Registered
Reaction score
Internet required. Research and online dictionary/thesaurus is necessary.

TV and DVD player. I like background noise sometimes, or to give my brain a rest with someone else's fiction.

$450/week is the most I'd consider for a solo stay. More, it would have to be a family vacation and I wouldn't get any writing done.

Minimal, organic decor in natural colors--oatmeal, light yellows and greens, browns, etc. Very comfy couch, great recliner. Lots of natural light. Plenty of pillows and cozy blankets/throws.

List of local grocery stores and phone numbers/addresses for takeout restaurants and anyplace that delivers food.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Be sure to bring along a copy of "Little House in the Big Woods."

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
A cute little teapot, and a couple different varieties of both bagged and loose leaf.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A special thank you to everyone for your replies! I've made quite the list on my notepad here, and I keep staring at the phone, willing it to ring with the acceptance offer call (they'll let us know today or tomorrow).

If it's a go, I'm going to have a delightful time shopping (I'm an auction/estate sale/cute hole in the wall shop no one has ever heard of type gal).

To answer some general questions that came up: The cabin has lots of light downstairs, and that's actually one of the things that most attracted us to the place. It's sunny, and naturally cheerful, though in sore need of a better coat of paint (it's stark white inside just now).

We also have relatives nearby who would be the emergency point-of-contact folks, and who would do the between-visitors housekeeping and pantry restocking. I was thinking of offering a stocked pantry/kitchen or not, and let the guest decide. There's various potential legal implications to the provisioning of food, and I need to do more research on whether that's an option with traditional rental marketing (vs house swap unofficial-types).

Plus side - there are two local grocery stores, each within 5 miles. And it's not quite so backwoods that the street wouldn't be cleared in winter (though no one said they'd clear it in a timely fashion...).

Thanks to Hanson and other replies, we're thinking of carving out a proper walking path through the 10 acres (also to make sure folks don't wander off and get lost). Maybe some benches along the way.. comfy little nooks where you can find a happy spot and write for awhile. If the mosquitoes don't tear you apart first that is...

And Kelly... what, you don't want to go for a nice stroll in the woods during hunting season? Grin. Blaze orange outer gear is on the list for visitors, as another safety measure. Actual HUNTING visitors would bring their own gear, but it's safer to provide a few vests and hats and such for anyone visiting the area during bow/musket season.

If you plan on living there... you need to talk to the locals. How hard is it to get in and out during the winter? Do you need a four wheel drive? Does the power sometimes go out for days on end because the snow and ice have dropped trees on the lines? Then you will need a NEW generator and an electrical person to wire it in for you.

Do you have alternative sources to cook and heat? Like a fireplace? Or a wood stove? A dry place to store said wood? A safe place for emergency water? Was the cabin roofed with those super cute cedar shingles - that catch fire so easily? (bad idea) How long is the driveway? Do you really want to shovel all that by hand?

The good side is we are kinda locals. My spouse grew up in the area, and we know the nitty gritty details about year-round living in a heavy winter area that's also a primary tourist destination during summer.

This cabin has three heat sources, one of which is a wood stove (which also serves as a small cookstove). Which isn't to say that the prepper in me isn't also planning to bring up three other ways to heat the place, cook, and bathe. And alternative water supplies and storage. I love how you think, because these are the same questions I ask myself with every property we look at.

Metal roof, by the way.. which was another random perk for this particular cabin. A little too close to the surrounding trees, so we're going to knock the woods back in all directions by 25-50 yards. Must make friends with guys with tree-clearing equipment.....

Bookshelves - because I'll will fill them with all my reference books. A laptop so I'm not trapped inside at a desk.

Just a clarification question but a few folks have suggested laptops. Do you guys mean a laptop coming with the cabin rental, provided by us, or a setup (wireless/comfy spaces) that accommodates writing on a laptop?

I can provide one with the rental. Just have to make sure I'm taking the liability sufficiently into account for pricing, deposits and insurance.

The quiet. No distractions. Nothing but the voices in your head... heh... scary huh?

Most delightful thought ever... because I like the voices in my head. :)

My spouse... let's just say one of us prefers the TV on all the time, and one of us is always turning it off when the other isn't paying attention....

List of local grocery stores and phone numbers/addresses for takeout restaurants and anyplace that delivers food.

Brilliant idea. This'll go right up on the fridge, along with the emergency contact list. And the local maps, phone books...

Of course, I wonder if anyone actually does delivery there. It's a teeny area.

For the right fee, our nearby relatives could. Grin. Think I could advertise for local home-cooked meals as part of your stay? Delivered hot. Menu entirely unplanned and determined by hungry teenagers and whether or not they've got too many roosters in the yard that week...

Green tea, chocolate, books, laptop, notebook, pens, and Netflix :)
Oh and David Tennant. Duh.

I just started watching Doctor Who (yes, I'm very behind on my indoctrination), and I just polished off the first season and got to meet David Tennant as the Doctor. He's quite enchanting, and so far, the perfect fit as the replacement doctor. I desperately want to google whether the first guy's loss was planned or unplanned, but I'm afraid to run into spoilers. Did they mean to swap out the Doctors all along?

I'm afraid something'll happen to Rose one day... but I want to watch it in order and find out with the same astonishment as everyone else did. :)

Back on the cabin side.. we're due to find out tomorrow whether or not the sale is a-go, or if we're back to the negotiating table.

An exciting time, this. :)

gcommon

The Dark Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
odysseyisland.weebly.com
Cabins are so soothing, it's the perfect gateway. You feel connected to nature instead of the stress of the outside world. I stayed in one for a weekend in the mountains of Washington state. It was heavenly.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
Provide access to the Internet. While it can easily be a time suck, sometimes you want to do some research. But, people should bring their own internet accessible device.

My non-writing spouse would appreciate having TV, but I'd be okay without one. Unless you are limiting your rentals to writers, I think you have to provide one.

We've rented places twice - (well once, and one was a 'gift') through VRBO (vacation rental by owner) From what I've seen, places typically run $150-$250 per night. $1200 and up per week. Steep for my budget (went off season for our anniversary, so we got a deal and justified the price) One advantage from the renter point of view is that you know the owner has been vetted to some extent and you know you (renter) have recourse if things aren't as they were presented. Some people may feel more comfortable going this route. The also have a national website to help make people aware of your place. But, maintenance, housekeeping, that sort of thing, fall to you. - And, they do charge you (owner) a fee.

I think $450/week is way cheap for the market. However, if your goal is to rent to struggling writers, I vote for cheap :D On the other hand, don't short change yourself too much.

Sounds like a lovely place!
Best of luck :)

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nekko, I was simultaneously delighted and horrified to see the area rental rates on VRBO. Like I said.. the area is famous for fleecing people, but $200-$300 a night for a place that sleeps 2-4? Ours would sleep 4-6 adults, but to be comfortable and private, let's call it 2 adult couples and 2 children, thus parking it in the $350 a night range by comparison. That's insane (also noted that the $350 a night places tend to have hot tubs, be on the lake and come with snowmobiles... but still).

Then I checked availability.. and every single VRBO is booked solid to October. About what I thought, but it's still a little startling to see that, and it makes me wonder why more folks don't rent out.

Yep. Still delighted and horrified at the same time.

And still thinking it would be much better karma to rent to writers at reasonable rates that an average family/person could afford.

We'd also be going for quaint, cute, quiet, with character, vs giant flatscreen, Amazon prime, marble counter-tops in kitchen, on lake with room for your RV. I imagine that brings the rates down to a reasonable level. :)

This'll be a fun adventure.

Now if the phone would just ring about the offer... :)

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. Even if the last guest to stay in it didn't appear to use some of the beds, strip them and wash the linens anyway. The first cabin I got, I used the master bedroom at nights, but one night I stayed up working and decided to take a nap on top of a bed in one of the other rooms the next day. Imagine my distress to find a pile of dog (I hope) poop on the blanket. Even if you don't allow pets, assume some renter some time will secretly bring their dog anyway.

thedark

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot. Even if the last guest to stay in it didn't appear to use some of the beds, strip them and wash the linens anyway. The first cabin I got, I used the master bedroom at nights, but one night I stayed up working and decided to take a nap on top of a bed in one of the other rooms the next day. Imagine my distress to find a pile of dog (I hope) poop on the blanket. Even if you don't allow pets, assume some renter some time will secretly bring their dog anyway.

Ohhh that's disturbing. Note duly made - strip everything. I'm a bit fond of neatness myself, and I can only imagine how disturbing that was.

Like taking a black light to a hotel. Just don't do it. Ever.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I actually freaked out that a wild animal had gotten into the cabin, and had someone from the office that owned it come down and check the cabin to see if anything was inside. He assured me it was dog poop from previous renters (as if that made it much better!).

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, you're getting great ideas from folks, thedark. For me, though, it's quite different.

I have a cabin in the woods that I run off to alone and write. I'm lucky though that it's only a quarter of mile away.

There's no Internet or TV. I don't want any of those things. There's a radio/CD player that gets only one station and I either listen to CDs of Robert Burns' music anyway or have it shut off. It's very rustic and peaceful.

My creativity flows with the peace and solitude and the stress goes away. Because there's no Internet, I have to have my research done before I go. For me, that the world goes away and there are no distractions are important.

Things I think are important for me as a writer when I run away: a small kitchen with a frig and sink is important, but I don't use the woodstove. An indoor bathroom is important.

Your place sounds like a terrific opportunity for a writer. Best wishes to you!

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Y'know, funny thing about Internet. If you have it, and the renter doesn't want it, the wireless has this nifty-perskifty thing called a power cord. If the renter wants it, and you don't have it...

Oh, and let's be explicit about a "given" here. Reliable power.

If there's good flow through the house, I don't even need air conditioning. With a decent porch, I'll be spending most of my time on the wrong side of the front door for air conditioning to matter.

If it has a barbecue grill (charcoal, prefs, but gas'll do), then I don't much care about the stove. It'd have to be raining cats'n dogs for me to the use the inside heat source.

Shuttle service to/from the airport would be nice, too...

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Stay in the safe city

I would NOT 'plan' my escape any time near a large game hunting season. (Deer/bear) For some strange reason I don't sleep well knowing there's x-number of semi-drunk armed men wandering about outside trying to prove their machismo by stalking and killing Bambi...

Keep away from country cabins, as the above stereotypes are all true, even the blatant misandry. Everyone knows we have no armed drunks in the city, 'cause guns are banned, as is alcohol outside of bars. Stalking, machismo, and shopping for meat is either prohibited or frowned upon.

Big game season isn't the only dangerous times in the woods. Most have no idea what bears do there; millions of innocent worms are sacrificed in efforts to hook Nemo and Cleo; Thumper is in peril the year 'round.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
My parents had a cabin that I used to use for writing retreats.

No Internet
No TV
No running water (pump outside)
Outhouse
Heated entirely by one pellet stove.

I found the lack of modern conveniences more of a distraction than a relaxation. If I were paying for a place to write in solitude, I would want the basics of a modern house. Heat/AC, indoor plumbing, etc. I don't think Internet or TV are particularly important, even to non-writers wanting to get away from the world, but clean, comfortable, secure surroundings matter to anyone.

To make it even better for writers, you could stock in a good dictionary and thesaurus, maybe a few writing books, spare pencils, automatic pencil shapener, maybe a blank notebook. Ooh! A cushioned lap desk so they can sit comfortably on the deck and write. Plenty of desk lamps and adjustable lighting. A sound system they can plug their mobile device into and play their personal favorite writing music, along with a supply of instrumental CDs if they want something new.