• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Betas for YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

annak97

Anna
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all-
I'm looking for beta readers for my YA fantasy at 73K entitled WHERE ONE WORLD ENDS. My query pitch is:

Magic and a first, unwelcome romance meet torn family ties and one powerful assassin in the 73,000 word young adult secondworld fantasy WHERE ONE WORLD ENDS.

Jemma hasn’t believed in families since her childhood accident. Love has always been for fools and her body just another tool at her disposal. Hired to seduce and assassinate Prince Darien, the heir to her realm’s crown, Jemma reluctantly infiltrates the army irregulars, playing the part of an attractive country girl come to fight in service of the realm.

But this job isn’t any ordinary hire. One man, determined to make himself a god, wants her and her estranged brother as his tools to the power he’s craved for centuries. At first Jemma doesn’t care who wants her for a tool- if they pay for her services, she’ll do the job. But as love sneaks its way into her heart, she is forced to question what little she stands for, left with scant time to pick a side and fight.

I'm looking for beta readers willing to give me honest feedback and comments, identify plot holes, tell what works and doesn't for them, etc. I'm also looking for someone willing to read just the first three chapters and let me know if it hooks them, as well as answer the same general things I listed above. I'm always willing to swap!
If you're interested, please pm me so we can get in touch, set guidelines, and decide if this works for us!
Thanks so much :)

Last edited:

AlexHale

Registered
Reaction score
Hi annak97,

I hope I don't burst your bubble (hopefully not since you said the title is a work in progress) but there is already a YA fantasy out there called DEFIANCE. I personally wasn't a fan of it but I thought I'd let you know!

Also, would you be interested in doing a swap? I have an 85k YA fantasy with romantic subplot as well.

annak97

Anna
Registered
Reaction score
Hi annak97,

I hope I don't burst your bubble (hopefully not since you said the title is a work in progress) but there is already a YA fantasy out there called DEFIANCE. I personally wasn't a fan of it but I thought I'd let you know!

Also, would you be interested in doing a swap? I have an 85k YA fantasy with romantic subplot as well.

Nope totally didn't burst my bubble cause I didn't really have one :D. I didn't know that, but it's good to know!! I just had a friend suggest WHERE ONE WORLD ENDS which I really like, so that may eventually be the title. I would definitely swap! PM me so we can work it out?

Sycamore

Registered
Reaction score
If you want a first three chapter swap, I'm keen. I'd read more, but I'm going on away on holiday at the weekend.

Pikko

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pikkoshouse.com
Anna, I'm working on some edits right now, but I'm totally open to beta reading your first three chapters. I can always use reading material when I'm waiting for my kids to fall asleep. ;)

annak97

Anna
Registered
Reaction score
Anna, I'm working on some edits right now, but I'm totally open to beta reading your first three chapters. I can always use reading material when I'm waiting for my kids to fall asleep. ;)
Sure!! Thank you so much- I'll pm you with my email in a sec :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I note that you're now offering editing services, for which you charge a fee. I hope that you're not expecting to charge for this beta-read.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. Are you sure it's wise to speak to one of AW's moderators with that tone? Respect your fellow writer applies across the board, even when you're upset.

Maryn, scowling

Status
Not open for further replies.