Uh-oh. Yellowstone road melts

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Underground heat from Yellowstone's immense magma chamber has essentially melted a road into several major tourist attractions:

http://news.msn.com/us/hot-spot-yellowstone-road-melts-closing-sites

For the only semi-paranoid, these geologic facts:

1. Yellowstone is one of the three or four hugest and scariest volcanoes on the planet. The only rivals i can think of are Toba, in Sumatra, and Long Valley, also in the U.S., in California.

2. Volcanoes that erupt very rarely tend to be extremely violent. Yellowstone's last three eruptions happened ~2.1 million years ago, ~1.3 million years ago, and ~650,000 years ago. Do the math.

3. The last eruption of any volcano of this scale was Toba, 74,000 years ago. Coincidentally, geneticists have used their mathematical mumbojumbo to determine that the human genome was constricted severely about 75,000 years ago, suggesting that the entire population of the human species may have been reduced to about 3,000 closely related individuals.

4. Nothing even remotely close to the level of a supervolcano eruption, as happens at Yellowstone, has been experienced in recorded human history. The biggest one we have recorded, Tambora in Indonesia in 1815, caused a massive disruption to the world climate for 2-3 years, with snow in midsummer in New England, crop failures all over the northern hemisphere, and countless deaths due to famine. A Yellowstone eruption of the scale of any of the last three events would be about 100X Tambora. And 10,000X Mt. St. Helens in 1980.

5. Stay tuned.

caw

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Uhm, I was on closet Smallpox, uncontrolled Ebola and, on the geologic side, the Canary Island tsunami thing. We're back on Caldera?

Can we focus?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I won't worry until Woody Harrellson is doing a remote radio broadcast from Yellowstone... :)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, it would possibly negate global warming.

Seriously, though, this is pretty scary stuff. I've been reading about the lakes getting shallower and things for awhile. This is spooky.

Do geologists really think it's possibly going to erupt soon? The statements I've seen all tend around, "We're monitoring it, but the chances of this happening in the next few thousand years are slim." Thing is, we've never seen what happens to a volcano like this, so it seems like it would be hard to predict.

I'm pretty sure I live in the immediate kill zone. Which is probably better than the starve to death zone.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Well... the immediate kill zone extends from Key West to Spokane, so...

I'm kidding. Some.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
*e-mails relatives in Australia and India to see if they have extra room...*

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
And I thought this was going to be another global warming thread...

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
On the bright side, it would possibly negate global warming.

And kill off most of the human race. And after a thousand years of recovery, the Earth would resemble Eden once more.

Sorry, I've recently seen Noah.

I'm pretty sure I live in the immediate kill zone. Which is probably better than the starve to death zone.

Thanks for reminding me. :)

*goes out for chickenfeed*

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
If it goes off while I'm alive, I'll be at the top of my little 8,000-foot hill behind my house sitting in a camper chair under an umbrella with a big bottle of Laphroaig.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And kill off most of the human race. And after a thousand years of recovery, the Earth would resemble Eden once more.

Sorry, I've recently seen Noah.

Thanks for reminding me. :)

*goes out for chickenfeed*

In Noah had they built nuclear power plants that have to be cooled forever, no-matter-what? I suggest you move your estimate to several thousands of years.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Count me among the semi-paranoid, leaning toward the very paranoid.

I have actually had nightmares about the caldera going completely postal on us.

shit happens, you can't worry too much...a gamma burst from deep space could wipe us out without warning...whatcha gonna do? Natural disasters...can not be stopped....so, basically, yolo it up....

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
In Noah had they built nuclear power plants that have to be cooled forever, no-matter-what? I suggest you move your estimate to several thousands of years.

Didn't have much hope for civilized countries anyway. I reckon only certain hunter-gatherer tribes might survive. Those people who really know how to live off the land.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I want LV-426. A bit of indigestion, and... done.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
My question is...have we had any geoengineering theories on how we could relieve the pressure on a volcano without setting it off?

It seems somewhat important for our species to figure this out at some point.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My question is...have we had any geoengineering theories on how we could relieve the pressure on a volcano without setting it off?

It seems somewhat important for our species to figure this out at some point.

“We know of no strategies for reducing the power of major volcanic eruptions. Even science fiction cannot produce a credible mechanism for averting a super-eruption”.
From a 2005 report by the Geological Society of London

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
“We know of no strategies for reducing the power of major volcanic eruptions. Even science fiction cannot produce a credible mechanism for averting a super-eruption”.
From a 2005 report by the Geological Society of London

We need Spock to drop in and freeze the sucker.