Russian Diminuitives - Regular, Familiar and Slang - for Semyon

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
This is one for Russian native-speakers. What are the familiar and slang diminiutives for Semyon?

I'm aware of the regular one (Sema), but I imagine there's a deal more of them.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I've used this link for Russian-style diminutives in the past, but it only shows Sema for your example.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Same page as I got Sema from :)

You may get some good b-road milage out of these pages on wikipedia and tvtropes. It was a bit of a surprise to find there are three (and I believe even more) catagories of diminuitives in slavic names.

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Stick with Sema. You can go Semchik if you want to get affectionate.
Hope it helps.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
That's the stuff.

Would Semchik be something a lover uses or his mother? Do you know any derogative diminuitives for Semyon? Might his father or brother use it?

Last edited:

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
Semchik for friends mostly, maybe relatives. Unlikely a lover would go there, but will depend on the relationship. Derogative will have to be made up because there is no universal one in use.
Hope it helps.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
I'm intrigued; why wouldn't a lover go there?

@King Neptune:
Cимуon Simon
Самуил Samuel
Сэм Sam
Сэмми Sammy

Those are anglicizations, English forms of Russian names. What I'm looking for are diminuitives of Russian names - as pronounced by Russians - written in the Latin alphabet. Check out the links above to the wikipedia and tvtropes pages on the subject. Interesting stuff. Thanks all the same, however.

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I'm intrigued; why wouldn't a lover go there?

@King Neptune:

Those are anglicizations, English forms of Russian names. What I'm looking for are diminuitives of Russian names - as pronounced by Russians - written in the Latin alphabet. Check out the links above to the wikipedia and tvtropes pages on the subject. Interesting stuff. Thanks all the same, however.

As you know, the diminutives are many and varied, as is true in other languages, but Sam and Sammy are diminutives of Samuel, and the sources indicate that Simon and Samuel kind of slide together in Russian. But I understand what you want. In most languages such forms are ad hoc, rather than being fixed forms.

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
You got me thinking, day agent. The parents would call him Semchik, which is an affectionate 'little Sema'; I'll let you decide if a lover would go there. By the way, the friends are more likely to call him Semka rather than Semchik.

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
I put on my thinking cap and came up with Semochka. The most affectionate name both a lover and parents would use.

Day Agent

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Sweet.

This is how I've got the formalities in my head.

Semyon
|
Sema, Semya, Semka (personal connections) -
Semochka (diminutive for a man, intimate overtones)
|
Semchik (diminutive for a child, parental overtones)

Chekurtab

Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of Semya. Semochka isn't diminutive but intimate and familiar. Semchik is familiar , somewhat diminutive. Sema is short and most widely used, including friends and family.