PDA

View Full Version : Chem. castration/libido lowering drugs, can you OD?

soapdish
07-09-2014, 10:15 PM
I have a character that is taking (or, I will soon write into the story that he's taking, if my idea works out) something for chemical castration. Some sort of libido lowering drug. Is there a drug that could be fatal if taken in a large doses?

Essentially, I'd like for him to be poisoned and die, but I can't seem to find a drug that he'd realistically have in his medicine cabinet that'd do it. I'd like one that poetically fits the story, too. It can't just be any drug, it has to be related to the plot, you know?

The other alternative would be something that he may have on hand that he would prescribe to women (doesn't matter what for, really). See, he practices medicine with a focus in women's health, so it's realistic that he'd have something like that on hand as well.

Hope that's not all too vague. :tongue This is why a simple google search isn't really helping me.

ladyillana
07-09-2014, 10:47 PM
I have a character that is taking (or, I will soon write into the story that he's taking, if my idea works out) something for chemical castration. Some sort of libido lowering drug. Is there a drug that could be fatal if taken in a large doses?

Essentially, I'd like for him to be poisoned and die, but I can't seem to find a drug that he'd realistically have in his medicine cabinet that'd do it. I'd like one that poetically fits the story, too. It can't just be any drug, it has to be related to the plot, you know?

The other alternative would be something that he may have on hand that he would prescribe to women (doesn't matter what for, really). See, he practices medicine with a focus in women's health, so it's realistic that he'd have something like that on hand as well.

Hope that's not all too vague. :tongue This is why a simple google search isn't really helping me.
I don't know about drugs specifically for chemical castration, but many drugs used to treat bi-polar disorder can cause lowered libido. Lithium and Depakote primarily in my experience (my ex-husband is bi-polar and there were all kinds of "cocktails" of anti-depressants that were tried after the diagnosis). The doctor could prescribe any of these off label to lower libido and one can overdose with these and die or have a fatal interaction with any number of other drugs. I don't know if it will fit your story, but I hope it helps.

cmhbob
07-09-2014, 11:08 PM
The Wiki article on chemical castration has lots of related links, and talks about a couple of the more common meds: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_castration

This seems to be one of the more common drugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone_acetate

soapdish
07-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I don't know about drugs specifically for chemical castration, but many drugs used to treat bi-polar disorder can cause lowered libido. Lithium and Depakote primarily in my experience (my ex-husband is bi-polar and there were all kinds of "cocktails" of anti-depressants that were tried after the diagnosis). The doctor could prescribe any of these off label to lower libido and one can overdose with these and die or have a fatal interaction with any number of other drugs. I don't know if it will fit your story, but I hope it helps.*nods* Yeah. I had considered drugs for bi-polar disorder, because I knew they could do that, I just wasn't sure if they'd be used specifically for that. I am hesitant to use a drug name that is *too*...unrecognizable and complicated(?), you know? I kind of want something simple for readers to read over and get the gist--to understand that it's lethal in large doses. Lithium may be a good option, it's a recognizable name and won't require too much explaining on my end as to what it is. :tongue I don't want to waste words in a short story. I may have it dropped into a cocktail or something, to assure it does its dirty job. ;)

Thank you! This is helpful.

This seems to be one of the more common drugs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproterone_acetateI went to the wiki page on chemical castration and got lost in all the links. :tongue This one is a great one! Thank you. Interestingly it can ALSO be prescribed to women for certain things. So, in a way, it could maybe serve two functions in my story. :idea: