Buying a book before release

Status
Not open for further replies.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
A friend has a book out next week from Hachette. I pre-ordered it from my local indie bookstore, and got a call today that it's in & available for pickup now.

If I buy it this week, does that purchase count toward the first "burst" of initial sales? Could I actually be hurting her by buying it before the release date?

I've found some authors who say yes, that does hurt them, but wasn't sure if that was widespread or accurate. Her sales have been hurt by the Amazon crap, and I want to do everything I can to help it out (though I know one purchase isn't going to make a huge difference).

Thoughts? Insights?

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It should be counted. Mine always are. But, really, if one sale helps or hurts, the book isn't selling enough to matter, anyway.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Jim, somewhat. I feel every sale counts. If all your friends/relatives/co-workers etc who might buy a book thought "oh well, one sale doesn't matter", then none of them would buy and that would certainly have an effect.

MM

ladyillana

Registered
Reaction score
A friend has a book out next week from Hachette. I pre-ordered it from my local indie bookstore, and got a call today that it's in & available for pickup now.

If I buy it this week, does that purchase count toward the first "burst" of initial sales? Could I actually be hurting her by buying it before the release date?

I've found some authors who say yes, that does hurt them, but wasn't sure if that was widespread or accurate. Her sales have been hurt by the Amazon crap, and I want to do everything I can to help it out (though I know one purchase isn't going to make a huge difference).

Thoughts? Insights?
My understanding is that pre-ordered books count for the author even if a store accidentally releases them ahead of time. It is non-preordered books that put on the shelf ahead of the release date that don't get counted.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
If all your friends/relatives/co-workers etc who might buy a book thought "oh well, one sale doesn't matter", then none of them would buy and that would certainly have an effect.
Would that be true for trade publishing? If you're expected to sell a few thousand copies within a few months, then selling 40 to people you know in the first week probably isn't going to impress your publisher. (Although, doing the math using the from-my-butt numbers of 3000 books in three months, 40 books in one day would be a healthy bump.)

Status
Not open for further replies.