Smoking in Maryland can get you fired

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
Now I'm definitely not a fan of tobacco, or marijuana or alcohol for that matter, on a personal level at all and am all for making sure doctors are not smoking on the job but imagine the can of worms the following policies could open up:

http://insurancenewsnet.com/oarticle/2014/07/05/in-maryland-smoking-could-cost-you-job-a-526425.html

Anyone who wants a job next year at Anne Arundel Medical Center -- whether as a surgeon or security guard -- will have to prove they don't smoke or use tobacco. The Annapolis hospital's new hiring policy might be controversial, but it is legal in Maryland and more than half of the United States. And it's a type of job screening that is gaining favor with employers -- from hospitals to companies such as Alaska Airlines -- trying to control rising health costs and cultivate a healthier, more productive workforce.
Anne Arundel Medical Center, like a growing number of health systems, universities and other businesses, will require a urine test for nicotine use for all applicants starting next July. The policy -- which will not apply to current employees -- is just one piece of the hospital's existing ban on tobacco use that was expanded July 1 to apply at all hospital buildings and surrounding public sidewalks, parking lots and garages. It covers not only cigarettes, but cigars, pipes, snuff and e-cigarettes.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All kidding aside, I see this as a possible end-run around future employees who might smoke or ingest weed.

Very clever end-run, stacking the deck two to four years ahead of time.
How does that work, if they're requiring a urine test for nicotine?

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
How does that work, if they're requiring a urine test for nicotine?

'Cuz if this passes muster with any sort of civil rights lawsuits, then tacking on an ADDITIONAL urine test for cannabis --even after it gets made legal (which it will eventually)-- won't be too hard.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Quote:
When reached for comment, Maryland smokers bent over with their hands on their knees, wheezing and waving the reports away.
And after a ten minute dance with his inhaler, their spokesman, who identified himself as "B*cough*ob" said, "It's okay if they hold us to the same attendance and productivity standards as non-smokers. That's their right. If they don't want us to smoke at work or outside of work on property belonging to work, I can deal with that. They have that right. I have no problem if they make us pay more for our heath care because it's clear we, as a group, use up more of the resources than others. But for the life of me, pardon the expression, I don't understand how they can refuse to hire us for engaging in legal behavior when we are not at work. Can they refuse to hire the 400 pound engineer whose record proves he shows up for work every day, but is about to have his foot amputated due to Diabetes? Or the functional alcoholic potential vice president who otherwise is a rising star, and whose liver is going to shut down in 5-4-3-2-1? Then there's Greg, just hired by accounting. He's recently been introduced to Methamphetamine. You guys only test for Marijuana, Cocaine and Opiates. And Nicotine. I'm sure Greg will fit in just fine.

B*cough*ob would have said more, but he fell into that spasmodic coughing jag that smokers do and security had to remove him from the building.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
I calls it "corpitude" - a portmanteau of corporation & turpitude (conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty or good morals) but it's not a real word quite yet. Certainly displays poor citizenship!

https://www.wordnik.com/words/corpitude

Last edited:

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the early 1980's, my father worked for a national insurance company that required all of its employees to be teetotalers. Any use of alcohol would result in being fired (if the company found out).

I guess they were ahead of their times.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
because he switched it up by smoking cigars instead of cigarettes in long black cigarette holders.

does anybody pick up a fucking history book anymore?
In retrospect the monocle should have clued me in, but WTF do you expect from an Anthropology major?

Last edited:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Not the first company to do this, I think. Pretty sure Scott's Lawn Care in Ohio has been doing this for several years.

The Libertarian in me shrugs and says, "Free market."

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Surely there are any number of Mormon-run businesses, especially in Utah, that forbid employees from drinking (including coffee) or smoking, and will enforce such strictures religiously. Hey, now that the Supreeems have declared it's okay for businesses to forbid birth control for women, what's wrong with this idea?

caw

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Surely there are any number of Mormon-run businesses, especially in Utah, that forbid employees from drinking (including coffee) or smoking, and will enforce such strictures religiously. Hey, now that the Supreeems have declared it's okay for businesses to forbid birth control for women, what's wrong with this idea?

caw

This. Not so much fun when it's your ox being gored, I suppose.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
The Libertarian in me shrugs and says, "Free market."

It just disgusts me that corporate freedoms are allowed to infringe this much on personal. Employees wishing to do legal activities like this during non-work hours should be protected.