67th Anniversary of Roswell Event

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/08/roswell-ufo-cia-agent-chase-brandon_n_1657077.html

Yeah, it's not a new story, but for better or worse...our country...our world changed dramatically that day, July 8, 1947...

Either, our military intelligence officers were useless idiots who couldn't tell a weather balloon from a crashed flying saucer...

...Or a half-assed version of First Contact with an alien civilization was swept under the rug by the military and government.

Something happened that day...and it brought with it a great distrust of the government with it...

So, skeptic or believer, Happy Roswell Day!

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/08/roswell-ufo-cia-agent-chase-brandon_n_1657077.html

Yeah, it's not a new story, but for better or worse...our country...our world changed dramatically that day, July 8, 1947...

Either, our military intelligence officers were useless idiots who couldn't tell a weather balloon from a crashed flying saucer...

...Or a half-assed version of First Contact with an alien civilization was swept under the rug by the military and government.
That's at the very best a 50-50 argument for the aliens, IMO. :ROFL:

Something happened that day...and it brought with it a great distrust of the government with it...
Yeah. A couple thousand miles north on that exact day, Samuel Edward Konkin III was born, and boy did that bring with it a great distrust of the government...

Some believe the alien ship that crashed had just completed a delivery mission in the wilds of Canada. ;)
So, skeptic or believer, Happy Roswell Day!
I'm a Believer.

The Truth is Out There.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Another believer right here. DOes AW have a sort of hangout for believers? Maybe you, Don, Plot Device and I can create one ;) ?
P&CE is for current events. One thread a day from Weekly World News and Bob's your uncle.

I found the "Hillary Clinton Adopts Alien Baby" story particularly compelling.

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
My pet conspiracy for that one is less 'out there' than aliens, but not a weather balloon either:

http://www.grahamhancock.com/phorum/read.php?f=2&i=180220&t=180220

The 1940s was a very, very busy decade. For instance, July 7th 1947 was the first flight of the British Rolls-Royce Nene jet-engine. It just happens to be installed in a Russian fighter jet referred to as the MiG-15. The Rolls-Royce engine was “gifted” to Russia with the Queen’s blessing because at the time.. Britain was strapped for cash and Prime Minister Atlee was a liberal so historians won’t be recording this event as an un-American affair and a technology transfer to a cold-war enemy.

A day later, on July 8th 1947, the Soviet Union declined to participate in the Marshall Plan and a UFO reported to be traveling about the speed of a MiG 15 crashed in Roswell, New Mexico. The UFO was immediately stripped of all Rolls-Royce patent numbers and insignias by the newly founded CIA.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I believe UFOs are actually moments where our reality intersects with another, like the "soft places" between our world and the dreamworld of folklore, so what we're looking at is human vehicles from an alternate Earth.

source: a lot of comic books.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or they are alternate humans from this earth in another timeline.....

Or some of them are that and some of them are only slightly more skilled than local current humans, and are the sorts whom we might expect to have an interest in our governments... and in manipulating our soft spots....

Or some of them are so different to anything we ever conceived of that the fact that some of us see a blip is truly remarkable....

:popcorn: believers like popcorn too

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I grew up during the fifties. I had an uncle, my grandfather's brother, who had an "experience" while working on a military base in the northwest. It was the kind of thing that the grownups mentioned but only in the most shadowy terms. My uncle, Cecil, would not talk about it.

In 1967, when my grandfather was dying and unconscious, my sister and I sat up with him one night. Cecil was there, too. When she left Grandpa's hospital room, our mother told us to ask Cecil about his flying saucer story. She said he might tell us, now that he had retired. We asked, we were 16 and 17, pretty and manipulative. He finally did.

Years later, watching "Close Encounters" I was flabbergasted. The scene with the stopped cars on the highway jibed fairly well with Cecil's story. It also ties in with some of the "classic" incidents--flying lights in the sky, cars mysteriously stopping. Cecil wasn't just an enlisted man--he had rank and a pension that he felt had been threatened. It makes me nervous to give his first name even though he has been dead thirty years.

My grandfather once told me, when i was about twelve, that a Flying Saucer had crashed and the news said it was a flying saucer and then changed the story. A friend on a base in Texas told him the first story was true. Grandpa had been in the army air corps during WW2, stationed on a base in Texas. He did not say Roswell. He might have said New Mexico. Grandma told him to stop scaring me. (I am the family chicken.)

Now in those days there was no Roswell story--no one knew anything about it. We never sat around at family reunions talking about little green men but there was always that undercurrent during the 50s and not just with my family--most stories were nuts but something that a neighbor saw while working on an isolated oil rig always seemed true to me. He was such a nuts and bolts guy. Over the years I have kept track of the stories I feel have a rub of truth in them. There are maybe six that i consider credible. Not enough to make a solid case for them. Just enough to keep me wondering--s6

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Booker

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
No, there's no such thing as UFOs.

It's only us being one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The military might have been testing something with a saucer design, but it could not have made all of the car engines on a highway come to a stop. That is the part of my uncle's story that has me scratching my head to this day. He was a butcher in the army, a major who purchased meat--a very down to earth guy. Something shook him up--s6

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly making all the cars stop has something to do with the awestruck witnesses on the side of the road?

Or there was a power surge that fried the car batteries?

However, I am reminded of a sci-fi movie or two that had that meme in the early 1950s. Usually used as a reference to nuclear explosions.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Would I be a thread-killer if I said I'm a believer?

I hope not....

I am too...
I'm a strong skeptic and very doubtful this (or any other incident) involved an alien being or anything else similarly "out there."

But if everyone were like me, this would end up a boring and short thread (though it might still, the night thread is young...).

On the other hand, I distinctly recall some diplomat in the Reagan administration shown on the news being very vocal that "you reporters should stop asking all these questions," implying it can only hurt the operations of continuing to free some hostages. But the rumors turned out to be true, they WERE giving the bad guys guns in exchange for the hostages.

So there's certainly precedent for government doing odd shenanigans.

But it seems to me the "truth" usually comes out in a few months or years - if the rumors continue on for decades with nothing to validate them, then there's probably nothing there and it's just another urban legend.
That's at the very best a 50-50 argument for the aliens, IMO. :ROFL:
Either one "could" be true, but the problem with choosing between two explanations is there are myriad of other possibilities, as I'm sure reading a few books on the incident will demonstrate.
I probablty saw that video when the TV show was popular (I've of course heard the song innumerable times), but remarkably, I've never seen The X Files, and watching that video was the first time I've seen the start of the show. But I remember the timeframe when the show was popular from hearing about it from fans, and I recall that I was spending all my time on dialup Internet.

Last edited:

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
I'm not a believer. I am not a non believer. I am a head scratcher. Something made my uncle a believer and he was not a stupid person.

I'm somewhere in between, a rational believe you could say. I find it extremely arogant that people believe no other inteligent life exists in the universe besides on our own planet, that we're extra special snowflakes. But I'm very skeptical about things like UFOs and Roswell. I believe life is out there and may even be space faring, but not that they would cross innumerable star systems to reach our dinky little planet and abduct people or mutilate livestock. If it was me traveling all that way to do those things would seem pointless, I would rather stay home.

Last edited:

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a believer! A world without mystery is a boring-ass world.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I have followed the writings and overall interview history of two of my favorite UFO researchers: Richard Dolan and Linda Moulton Howe.

Few ufologists are as impressive as these two.

Both of them share one common thread as far as how they even got into ufology. They can both lay claim to being young researchers who were (separately --never even knew each other, and never met until years later on the UFO talk scene) both researching something totally unrelated to UFO's. But then during the course of research they each had the same experience whereby when the two separate rabbit holes they each went down proved suddenly deeper, and then Wonderland turned out to be full of extraterrestrials.

RICHARD DOLAN'S STORY
His rabbit hole presented itself when he (his masters degree is in Russian Studies) was researching Soviet-US hostilities. During that research, he accidentally discovered disturbing similarities in UFO reports as found in US military documents when compared to Soviet military documents. Specifically, there was a whole massive cache of Soviet documents that got recovered/borrowed/stolen/bartered for by US intelligence after the Soviet Union fell. And Dolan became privy to their contents during the initial time period when those massive hauls of Soviet documents were being translated into English by Russian Studies colleagues of his. He was so stunned to learn of just how many Soviet military documents made reference to UFO's that he decided to see how many US military documents likewise made such reference. And that staggering mountain of American military paperwork and FOIA requests has kept him busy to this day. One of his early findings is that the Soviet documents repeatedly reported the same two behaviors of the craft: 1) these craft defied all known laws of physics, and 2) these craft seemed particularly interested in Soviet nuclear installations. And so when he began to check out US military documents for a comparison, the same two behaviors got repeatedly mentioned in the US documents: 1) the craft defied all known laws of physics, 2) the craft seemed very interested in US nuclear installations. It is also noteworthy that some of the Soviet documents offered speculation that perhaps these were new, secret, and very advanced US craft. But then the US documents offered the identical speculation in reverse, suggesting that perhaps these unknown craft were in fact new, secret, and very advanced Soviet craft. He became convinced that these craft were very real, and yet were neither Soviet nor US.

LINDA MOULTON HOWE'S STORY
Moulton Howe's rabbit hole started not too long after she landed her first job just out of college as a television broadcast reporter. The TV station she worked for was somewhere in the American West. She went to cover a story about a cattle rancher who suffered the loss of several of his cattle to brutal mutilations by an unknown perpetrator. When she interviewed the rancher and the sheriff and the veterinarian who did the autopsy, the details of their stories so stunned her that she knew she was dealing with what she later came to call "high strangeness." These mutilations happened in the middle of the night. The mutilations were "bloodless" which means various organs were taken, but not a drop of blood lay on the ground anywhere around the carcasses, nor even any blood on the carcasses themselves. The carcasses were discovered the next day, usually out in the fields, with zero tracks anywhere around the body: no footprints of humans, no hoof prints of the cattle, no paw prints of predators such as lions or coyotes, no tire tracks --nothing. The extraction of the targeted organs was surgically perfect: eyeballs, lips, testicles, anuses. All the organs were precisely removed with nothing left behind, and yet also with little to no surrounding tissue taken as unintended collateral. And then there was mention of the strange lights in the sky on the same night of the mutilations. She was now hooked. And then she found out about ... the OTHER mutilations. Hundreds of them. All over the USA and even around the world dating back to about 1911 (a case of sheep mutilations in England IIRC). All of them with these eerie details which defy known medical technology. And most of them with tales of strange lights in the sky on the same night as the mutilations. She is now perhaps the world's foremost authority on the subject of cattle mutilations.

Both of these two researchers have spent most of their careers focused upon UFO's. Something is going on. The truth is out there.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed today on Twitter that the anniversary of another sometimes-doubted (!) event is coming up, and some old codger is trying to make a Buzz about it. I suppose you could just google the hashtag: #Apollo45

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I find UFOs to be extremely underwhelming, but I was raised on X-Com: UFO Defense, so if they're not unloading aliens to terrorize our cities and giving us a chance to kill them and take their technology, I'm not interested.