Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry. Can't think of any at all.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Markets for Historical short stories

Do you want literary or popular markets?
Is there a strong relationship as a main part of the story either romantic or family?

If you scan that list of literary journals stickied above quite a lot of them will take a literary historical short story.

Meanwhile I'm working so fill me in on what you want and I'll hit my markets list of where I market to later today maybe lunch time.

HAve you tried the HNS website incase they do a markets list?

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
Thanks for replying, pdr.

I occasionally write literary, but my work leans more to the popular, I expect. The time periods and type of story vary dramatically. As to the relationships, I don't usually write pieces that would fit romance markets, though relationships are sometimes present. I've been dabbling in spec fic for a while now, but after some exercises, started realizing just how much fun there is to be had in hisfic. I just don't know where to send it to sell it, and most of the market listings don't have a category for hisfic.

I hadn't thought of checking HNS for markets. Good idea; thanks.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay.

I couldn't access the forums until just now. Kept getting wierd technobabble on a white screen!

Solander is the HNS biannual magazine and publishes one short story per issue. It's usually literary but Richard will publish a story if hte topic is sufficiently unusual.

So Minister, you write popular stories. Difficult. Most of the University magazines say things like: 'We value the quality of the writing as welll as the story.'

However I have come up with these for you:

Three online mainstream historical fiction markets:

1. `Pipes & Timbrels,'
a new online magazine devoted to short historical fiction. We hope to
publish two new short stories a month, plus reviews, recommended
reading, and discussion on historical fiction. In addition to the
online magazine, we hope to publish a quarterly print anthology of
the stories featured online. `Pipes & Timbrels' will feature
short stories that are well-crafted and elegantly written, where setting
(both time and place) and character intersect in interesting,
unpredictable ways. For more information, including submission
guidelines, visit http://www.pipesandtimbrels.com
Paradox
Christopher M. Cevasco, Editor
P.O. Box 22897
Brooklyn, NY 11202-2897
http://www.paradoxmag.com

"Paradox publishes both historical fiction and science fiction/fantasy/horror with historical themes, as well as articles, news and reviews. While any well-written story stands a chance of being accepted, the following sorts of stories will be given preference..."
Pay and Rights: "Paradox pays 3 to 5 cents per word (maximum $450) on publication for stories of any length (within reason), 2000 to 9000 words preferred. Paradox will (rarely) consider serializing novels. Payment for non-fiction articles is at the rate of 3 cents per word. Paradox buys First World English language rights and an option on anthology rights; all other rights are retained by the author." Pays $10 for poems, but rarely publishes poetry.

No simultaneous submissions or multiple submissions. No e-mail submissions (e-mail queries OK for nonfiction).
http://www.paradoxmag.com
The Deepening, also an online zine, publishes historical fiction
http://www.thedeepening.com/short-story-submission-guidelines.shtml
Nice site, good stuff and nice people to work with.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you PDR. Your posts are most helpful.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Thanks minister for asking the question and thanks pdr and atm for the responses.

I've got a historical piece I'm working on as a contest prompt and figured once it was done to send it out. Now, I know where.

In a business that sometimes seems to be nothing more than slammed doors, pdr, you really are an angel.

Laurie

Just thought to add, what about OneStory www.one-story.com
and Glimmer Train Stories www.glimmertrain.com ?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Oops, forgot this!

Thank you for the kind comments, I appreciated them.

If you have a strong relationship and can make it romantic then many of the British women's magazines and those aimed at the overfifties will take historical short stories.

If you are writing about WW2 or the 50s remember that many of the readers will have been there so be careful with your facts!

Arrowtown gave us a great list of these market addresses and editors. Did they get stickied with the other markets?

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
I'll add a quick one here, though it's not a paying market. Haruah is a new magazine geared toward Christian friendly (though not necessarily Christian, and certainly not preachy) fiction, including historical fiction. My acquaintance with (and observation of) the people involved in this venture is pretty positive.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
In light of the other historical markets query I'll say again:

Any mainstream magazine market will accept a good historical story. Those that don't usually say so.

I've put Arrowqueen's list of UK women's markets up in the stickied Markets Thread.

Happy Writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.