• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for 55k YA novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. Looking for a beta reader for my 55k YA novel. It's contemporary magic realism in a small-city setting.

I'm happy to swap if you have a mss. I would prefer a reader who is familiar with YA or is writing YA him/herself.

Here's a synopsis of SLIP:

When Samuel Conroy trips over a witch at the local swimming hole, the retaliatory spell she casts on him binds both of them with a rebounding curse. However, both Sam and the witch soon find that the curse has taken on a life of its own. While Sam becomes clumsier, falling in exponentially increasing incidents each day, the witch weakens physically. With both parties soon incapacitated, only the witch’s cat-familiar, Victor, can act to sever the toxic connection between them. Victor races against time to save his companion, but his task is made all the harder once Sam learns the witch is to blame, as he refuses to help. After Sam's symptoms increase to the point where he can no longer endure them, the two agree to cooperate to save the witch and remove the curse, freeing both from its negative effects. Sam discovers that the aftereffects mean he now is able to cast it himself. As the witch confesses to him later, the entire episode occurred because of Sam's inherent magical abilities, which he did not know he possessed. When a mysterious magician named Peter Vens arrives in town and offers to train him, Sam must decide what sort of magician he will be, who will teach him, and how he will use his new power.

Drop me a PM if you're interested, and I'll send you the first two chapters so you can get a sense of it.

Thanks.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to point out that gallowayprof offered to beta read for others before asking here. This bodes well.

Maryn, fingers crossed in your behalf

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I've done three reads so far and will do more. But this piece needs some fresh eyes. Actually, I'll go update my listing while I'm thinking about it.

Thanks, Maryn :)

Status
Not open for further replies.