There was a fire in my parents block of flats

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
They smelled smoke last night, but thought it was a bonfire. When my dad got up for his 5 am nicotine, he realised their flat was full of smoke, so evacuated mum and the cat, called the fire brigade, and got everyone he could out of the block.

They're fine, but sadly the man in the flat on fire died. He hadn't had a fire alarm.

Their flat is undamaged, but stinks of smoke and mum is very upset, as she thinks she could have saved the man if they'd reported the smoke yesterday.

So please, please do check the batteries in your fire alarm.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Something like this makes us appreciate every day we have with our our loved ones. I am like your mom, I would be agonizing over the death of the neighbor, thinking I could have done something. Poor woman, she needs to shed that survivo'sr guilt but it is so hard to do--s6

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:(
Glad you're parents are okay.

Your mom shouldn't feel guilty. Around us we smell smoke all the time, lots of people use outdoor firepits, etc. it's almost impossible to know the difference and much to hard to locate from where the smell is coming unless you can see the smoke.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
We're a city, but with lots of green and semi-rural areas. This time of year you can't go anywhere without smelling a bonfire, so I'm not at all surprised they didn't think anything of it.

I'm just so glad that they are safe.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
With all the fire pits, grills, and smokers around my neighborhood, no one is likely to think fire when they smell smoke. I'm just glad your Dad woke up early, and your parents are all right.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I just spoke to mum and she's tired, but OK, now. She's come round to thinking that he was probably already dead when she smelled the smoke last night, or he'd have done something himself.

My dad, apparently, was a bit of a hero (as far as a mentally shaky 60 year old who walks with a cane can be) as he woke the entire block of flats to ensure they were safe and called the fire brigade.

Apparently it's all been very busy, as the police and fire brigade only just left, taking the poor man away with them. There were fire dogs and everything, as obviously they have to check there was no foul play.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow! I'm so glad everyone is okay! Do they know what started the fire?

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Oh wow! I'm so glad everyone is okay! Do they know what started the fire?

No, they don't. My mum thinks he may have fallen asleep while smoking, but it could have been an electrical fire or even deliberately set. I guess we won't know anything till the investigation is finished.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
No, they don't. My mum thinks he may have fallen asleep while smoking, but it could have been an electrical fire or even deliberately set. I guess we won't know anything till the investigation is finished.

The whole thing is sad. I really hope it wasn't deliberate though.