Lincoln Nebraska residents? A few questions.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone who lives in Nebraska and ideally in or around Lincoln, who would be willing to answer a few quick questions. I'm more interested in the rural areas outside of town.

Questions are:

- How windy is it? Is there a constant breeze, or is the air dead most of the time.
- How hot/humid are the summers? Lie-down-and-wish-for-death, or tolerable?
- How flat is it? I've done the google thing, and the views from intersections certainly look flat. Is that typical? Or are there hilly areas just out of sight?
- Is the ground in the area a thin layer of soil over rock, or soil + clay?

That's about it for the moment. TIA.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't live in or around Lincoln, but I've been there many times. My mother was born in the nearby town of Lexington, and growing up I visited relatives in Omaha regularly.

Lincoln is indeed very flat. Winds are highly variable, as is typical for just about anywhere in the Midwest, but the wind direction is dominantly from west or northwest. Summers are indeed hot, and pretty humid. 90 degree F temps are common, with 100+ every now and then. Severe thunderstorms are a common feature of summer weather, and the place is within the major central tornado belt. This is also excellent farm country; soils are generally rich and fertile and deep.

caw

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't live in or around Lincoln, but I've been there many times. My mother was born in the nearby town of Lexington, and growing up I visited relatives in Omaha regularly.

Lincoln is indeed very flat. Winds are highly variable, as is typical for just about anywhere in the Midwest, but the wind direction is dominantly from west or northwest. Summers are indeed hot, and pretty humid. 90 degree F temps are common, with 100+ every now and then. Severe thunderstorms are a common feature of summer weather, and the place is within the major central tornado belt. This is also excellent farm country; soils are generally rich and fertile and deep.

caw

Thanks! Except for the part about the hot summers -- please see about getting that changed. :D

My characters are going a lot of galloping about. They may have to walk instead...

storygirl99

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent a lot of time in Lincoln. As Blacbird stated, it is hot in the summer and very, very humid.

And the wind in the winter is killer. I definitely feel the flatness in the winter when the wind comes howling off the plains and down the city streets. I am from Chicago so I know what flat and windy feels like, but Lincoln is much more intense in my opinion because there is no lake or super tall buildings to mix things up. Just lots of flat land and sky. They call Montana Big Sky Country, but I think the title should belong to Nebraska.