Viva Le Tour! 2014

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
And so it begins today from Yorkshire... yes, Yorkshire! And for the next three weeks I will be lost to the images of mesmerizing sweeps of cycles, flickering sunlight, and landscapes I could only dream of seeing. =)

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Not to mention all that colorful--and tight--Lycra. :D

Another cycling fan here. It's refreshing to be able to watch a race on HD TV instead of some little tiny pixelated internet feed (why yes, I am American).

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes I love it to, for all the reasons above :) It can be a struggle to stay awake till the finish (sometimes 2am-ish here) but Wimbledon has been good preparation. Will miss Cadel this year.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, July...all Tour, all the time :D. Well, except for a couple quick forays into F1, and a couple of Wimbledon finals...

ajaye, I miss Cadel, too :(.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, July...all Tour, all the time :D. Well, except for a couple quick forays into F1, and a couple of Wimbledon finals...

Silverstone qualifying today, and World Cup, and Le Tour.
and dammit it's nice outside...

Oh to be in France where I could at least combine two of those! =)

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

And the Commonwealth Games start July 23 :)

Word here is that Cadel may be offered a spot with Orica Greenedge next year, for his final year, if he decides to go on.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Stage 5. Wow.

Just wow. Oh, and mud.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... wow is right.

I'm not sure about the cobblestone thing, I can take them or leave them, but the rain, omh, the rain.

Bully for the maillot jaune! Much to his credit, a heroic ride.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've never thought much either way about Nibali, but I found myself cheering him as he kept going and going... He really did himself proud as a wearer of the yellow jersey.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Warning SPOILERS for Friday

So, what do you think about BMC ramping up the pace on the front of the race while their GC guy was off the back trying to catch up?

a) Yes, that makes perfect sense. Great tactic!
b) WTF?!?!

:crazy:

:Headbang:

ETA: Explanation today is manager's car occupants were out of vehicle helping Atapuma (broken leg) so no team race radio to tell the front guys to cool it. Tejay seems okay with that.

Last edited:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
This is one strange tour...

Apparently, the unexpected is the theme de jur!

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Very sad that Contador is out (my cousin calls him "Contadorable" so you can imagine how she feels :( ). Still having sympathetic weird feelings in my leg after finding out he rode twenty minutes up the mountain after his crash with a broken tibia, before finally abandoning. :eek:

Keeping my fingers crossed for Machado, who evidently crashed, was in the ambulance, changed his mind, got out of the ambulance and back on his bike, finished after the time cutoff, was thrown out of the race, but was reinstated by the jury and now is back in the race. Only time I've seen a picture of a guy at the hospital, surrounded by doctors picking crap out of a gaping leg wound, and the patient has a huge smile on his face. Must have just found out they reinstated him. :Clap:

You can't make this stuff up. Though someone on Twitter suggested this may be the Tour de France scripted by George R. R. Martin. In which case, if I were Nibali I'd seriously start worrying. :tongue

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
...and now I'm feeling like a horribly entitled crybaby who blows first-world problems completely out of proportion, because I am SERIOUSLY P*SSED OFF that NBC Sports has chosen to delay the evening Tour de France recap show (revisiting this morning's stage, which you will note I have already seen) in order to finish airing the final round of some charity celebrity golf tournament which is running late.

I'm going to hell. :eek:

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Imagine my discomfort having to wait until Noon, Noon I tell ya...
to see this morning's Formula 1 race. LOL!
But since I watch them both it wasn't too bad!

And yes, sometimes the TV just stays on all day with the tour.
It's soo depressing when it's over.

No more purdy pictures, or scenery. :D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I have withdrawal for several days after the Tour ends :D.

A few days ago I had to go searching through all the submenus on my converter to find out why it kept turning itself off at odd moments. Turns out there's a power save setting that automatically turns the cable box off if the remote doesn't get any commands for 4 hours. Well, THAT wasn't working during the Tour. That particular little option is history now :evil .