DIY Stomach Surgery

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
My 15 year old MC gets shot in the stomach. That would would normally be fatal, but there is someone to help him. Is it possible to have someone do a quick surgery on him? Enough to have him survive, as he would get proper medical attention soon after. I was thinking, the stomach acid would normally kill him, but would it be possible to cut him open and kinda scoop out/squeeze out the acid to minimize further damage? And to stitch the bullet hole? Or perhaps smash the stove and somehow get a lit flame from the natural gas to cauterize the wound?

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
So, uhm, yeah, a bullet to the stomach is typically fatal, normally with in 15-20 minutes? Injuries to the stomach are pretty rare all and all, and what you cannot do is siphon out the gastric acid. If you were to do that you would send the body into to metabolic alkalosis with throws of your blood's chemical balance, and that's bad as well.

I'd pick something doable like nicking an artery

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
So, uhm, yeah, a bullet to the stomach is typically fatal, normally with in 15-20 minutes? Injuries to the stomach are pretty rare all and all, and what you cannot do is siphon out the gastric acid. If you were to do that you would send the body into to metabolic alkalosis with throws of your blood's chemical balance, and that's bad as well.

I'd pick something doable like nicking an artery

He has to get shot somehow, as the other guy has a gun. I don't know, you've shot down my idea...sorry, that wasn't meant to be punny-I mean, funny! But...hmm.... something major that would require some sort of surgical procedure. It could be done at home (and stretching the belivability a bit is OK). Is there some other organ that could be shot and he would eventually be OK later?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depends what sort of weapon is involved but presumably the bullet isn't going to pierce or nick the organ of choice, then stop.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
A bullet could hit him in the leg, nick the femoral artery, and he nearly bleeds to death. But his friend would have to be quick with the tourniquet (which is very dangerous by itself, since lack of blood flow can cause tissue necrosis). Perhaps it only hits a few veins, but there's a lot of blood, so he thinks he's bleeding to death, when he's really not? Or maybe the bullet misses him, but the noise startles him, so he falls and hits his head on the sharp edge of the stove, causing a concussion and a LOT of blood, making others believe he's been shot in the head and killed?

I dunno, just throwing a few ideas out there.

Deepthought

Think hard, often
Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Depends what sort of weapon is involved but presumably the bullet isn't going to pierce or nick the organ of choice, then stop.
Just something to require immediate surgical procedure would work.
A bullet could hit him in the leg, nick the femoral artery, and he nearly bleeds to death. But his friend would have to be quick with the tourniquet (which is very dangerous by itself, since lack of blood flow can cause tissue necrosis). Perhaps it only hits a few veins, but there's a lot of blood, so he thinks he's bleeding to death, when he's really not? Or maybe the bullet misses him, but the noise startles him, so he falls and hits his head on the sharp edge of the stove, causing a concussion and a LOT of blood, making others believe he's been shot in the head and killed?

I dunno, just throwing a few ideas out there.

Well, he's used to getting badly hurt, so something really dangerous would probably be best. Freaking out and worrying about dying, and something painful would be really good. He's actually in the living room of the mansion. Something bloody like you suggested could work.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My 15 year old MC gets shot in the stomach.
Wrong. You need your MC to be wounded by a firearm, in a way that is survivable. Now, work backward to figure out how and where he was shot.

What short-term result do you need? What long-term result? Base your injury on those needs, not a preconceived notion that he's shot in the stomach.

So, for a short-term requirement of emergency surgery, and assuming no long-term effects, an artery can work. Though you'll need a trained surgeon or responder to stitch/close the artery, a field surgery can work.

The vast majority of gunshot wounds occur in battle, and no battle wounds normally get stitched or have surgery when professional help is available within minutes, or even hours. A femoral artery could get clamped or tied off though, and sutures could work to tie off the artery for future treatment and life-saving.

Any normal gunshot wound to a non-threatening location, outer thigh, buttocks, bicep, calf, etc. could simply be stitched until future medical help is available. A simple dressing would be better, but whatever works for your needs might be acceptable.

Jeff

Last edited: