Name me some rum

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I don't drink. But I'm writing about a character who does. I was trying to come up with something interesting for her to drink, and I thought maybe rum, because that would be distinctive, maybe? This is in the 1990s, she is a bit on the wild side, does coke, but at the moment has no access to anything illegal. So if rum is a good choice, what brand? Something famous enough that people know what it is as soon as she says it, like Captain Morgan. Or if that isn't a good choice, what else would be? I don't want anything she has to mix up, so no fruity cocktails. She just wants someone to bring her a bottle of ...?

And it can't be whiskey, because I already have a character who used to drink Jack Daniel's, so I'm already using that. And it would be good if my first character drinks something that the Jack Daniel's man would consider gross. Which led me to rum.

Thanks in advance. :)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Over here, Bacardi and coke was pretty popular with 20 something women around then.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And where is she? Where has she been? There's rum from all over the place - Barbados, Jamaica, Nassau....there's white rum, too.

There's no guarantee that folk will recognise her brand - it's only important they know it's rum, surely, and that can easily be covered in narrative or dialogue. You only recognise something you are familiar with.

Last edited:

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Yeah, okay, she's late twenties, from Central Falls Rhode Island. Bacardi and Coke would be ironic, and she might think it's funny, considering her attachment to the other kind of coke. She is not a world traveler by any means, but has a pretty high opinion of herself. Was married to a small time mobster, but more working class than anything else.

LA*78

Registered
Reaction score
Isn't there a somewhat friendly rivalry between Jack Daniels and Jim Beam drinkers?

In Aust. rum and Bundy (Bundaberg) are synonymous.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, okay, she's late twenties, from Central Falls Rhode Island. Bacardi and Coke would be ironic, and she might think it's funny, considering her attachment to the other kind of coke. She is not a world traveler by any means, but has a pretty high opinion of herself. Was married to a small time mobster, but more working class than anything else.
I'd go with the Captain Morgan. Pretty common for twenty-somethings. Not so much for older folk.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Mount Gay out of Barbados do a great range of rums
Or if she's into the authentic Royal Navy experience then there's Lamb's Navy rum.

Gringa

Registered
Reaction score
Añejo Rum. It's not dark, not light. Just right. Made by Brugal, Barcello and Bacardi. This rum is smooooooth. Great with tonic and lime. A lot of lime. Yum. This concoction taste like lemonade.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like expensive lemonade. I prefer my rum to taste of rum. :snoopy:

Añejo Rum. It's not dark, not light. Just right. Made by Brugal, Barcello and Bacardi. This rum is smooooooth. Great with tonic and lime. A lot of lime. Yum. This concoction taste like lemonade.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score

To someone from Central Falls Bacardi might be a very good choice. It might seem upscale to her. If she really has class, the Mount Gay would be better.

Last edited: