PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Crossword #18 will appear as #19 next month ...

HarryHoskins
07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
... currently delayed due to a water-based computer incident.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed in a few days when I get my laptop back from the techno-whizz kids who are currently trying to rectify my idiocy.

Apologies for any inconvenience. :)

alexaherself
07-02-2014, 02:25 AM
water-based computer incident

Not easy, but this one might be cruet mop (definition = water-based; computer = fodder; incident = anagrind).

Good luck getting that fixed, Harry - and thanks very much for the announcement. Looking forward to #18. http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-023.gif

ajaye
07-02-2014, 01:22 PM
yikes, good luck with that Harry :)

Alexa you are way too clever :)

see you soon

HarryHoskins
07-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the best wishes - the laptop booted after I'd left it to dry for ten days so I think the hard drive and motherboard are ok, but the track pad and keyboard are only working intermittently. Hopefully it can be cleaned up and I'll be able to post an XWD within the week, but we'll see.

Oh, and nice work, Alexa! :)

HarryHoskins
07-07-2014, 04:07 PM
UPDATE:

My laptop, and all the crosswords contained therein, is still in the shop. Even if I got it back tomorrow, I'd be well behind my usual output (the water-based idiocy having happened about 3 weeks ago) and would be playing catch-up for sometime. Therefore, I'll post this month's cryptic as #19 on the first of next month.

Hope to see you all then. :)

ajaye
07-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Oh Harry it does sound like you did a proper job on your poor computer :(
Will miss the hair tearing this month but looking forward to the grand return next month!

*keeps an eye on thread to see what alexa comes up with*

alexaherself
07-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Thanks very much for the update, Harry.

So sorry to hear your news. I know how traumatic "crashed computers" can feel and wish you every success with the repairs, especially as far as "data recovery" goes. Very unpleasant indeed.

(If it helps you/anyone, I use and recommend a service called "Carbonite" for automated online backup of hard disc contents: it runs in the background, isn't expensive and doesn't slow down the computer. It once "saved" me - i.e. I've used it in an emergency and it really works, with friendly, supportive live-chat technical help available, too, for downloading all your files and getting them in the right places.)

Looking forward to #18 reborn as #19 in August, anyway. ;)

water-based idiocy

Well, "idiocy" certainly appears to be an anagrind, and "water-based" must be its fodder, so this one must be wee bastard, I think, the general situation obviously being the definition? :o :(

HarryHoskins
07-09-2014, 08:04 PM
Cheers chaps. :)

It definitely is traumatic - I didn't fully understand how much of my life was PC based (perhaps I should get out more) and it's put the temporary kibosh on several projects I'm working on and also made revert to the tinniest (and slowest) of notepads. I'll defo be backing things up more thoroughly in future - though I am pretty confident my hardrive and motherboard survived - and, of course, be water-aware in future.

As for the 'wee bastard' - spot on and very amusing (though in the Scottish sense rather than the childish, of course - in other words, the source of the water in question was a tap rather than any more biological delivery device).

Anyways, onwards and upwards. :)