PDA

View Full Version : Slang/curse words

AOD23
03-18-2006, 01:56 AM
Does anyone happen to know what the Ancient Greeks would of used for slang or curse words back then? I'm asking for the english translation of them as I dont really speak greek let alone Ancient Greek. Any answers to this would be very much appreciated as I need it for a story I'm writting.

Leva
03-19-2006, 04:13 AM
I'm not sure what the Greeks would have said -- probably pretty much what we would say, allowing for translation.

A general rule of thumb is that the expressions MOST cultures find insulting (and have some sort of equivalent to) are:

A rude word(s) for feces -- the english word starts with "S" ... *LOL*

Calling someone the name of an unsavory animal -- dog, pig, rat, maggot -- you're more likely to find calling someone an animal like a dog or a pig to have a really insulting meaning in a lower-tech culture.

Rude words for various private body parts, and for the acts engaged upon and with them by the principal parties involved in the insult, either solo or in combination with others. :)

And a phrase or two that implies that one has sex with one's parent -- mother or father, depending on the particular culture.

And religious blasphemy, of course. It would be interesting to find out what exactly the greeks considered to be religious blasphemy. :)

Leva