PDA

View Full Version : Woo Woo: The Great BerenstAin Bears Mystery

Diana Hignutt
07-01-2014, 03:29 PM
I encountered this elsewhere on the net. Do you remember those beloved bears as Berenstein (wrong) or Berenstain (right). The author of this blog, believes that something weird happened and it may involve parallel dimensions...or simply mass faulty memory:

Two years ago, I wrote a post about one of the icons of my childhood, the Berenstein Bears. (http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-berenstein-bears-we-are-living-in.html) Except, as I learned, they aren't called the Berenstein Bears. As it turns out, they're the Berenstain Bears.

BerenstAin. With an "A".

My mind was blown. I had very distinct memories of the bears. I grew up reading their books and watching them on TV in school, and remember how it used to be spelled. I tried to figure out when the name had changed.

As it turns out, the name has never changed. They have always been the Berenstain Bears. Every physical book I had ever seen had said "Berenstain Bears". I have always been wrong. Every scrap of physical evidence proves me wrong.

http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/search/label/Berenstein%20Bears

It's a fun read. I swear I remember them as Berenstein, but my memory is total crap...

Which universe are you from?

Kylabelle
07-01-2014, 03:44 PM
:roll:

I never even heard of these bears, so I must be from a very different hologram.

I can attest, however, that this kind of thing happens to me frequently. Some of it I can ascribe to inaccurate memory. But when physical objects disappear I tend to blame mischievous sprites.

My cousin and housemate says it's Oshun (a Yoruba goddess) who likes to take things, and then often returns them.

Sam Argent
07-01-2014, 04:17 PM
I discovered that problem several years ago when I googled the books out of nostalgia. I made a mental to spell the name correctly after seeing my mistake. I went back to spelling it wrong a year later and made another mental note. There have been about 4 mental notes since then. I don't know why, but Berenstain is one of the few words that my brain refuses to accept. I could look at one of the series covers right now and I would still have to think carefully while writing the title.

J.S.F.
07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
I am replying to this thread due to severe sleep deprivation which has resulted in a temporary loss of sanity. It should be back by tomorrow...but don't count on it.

I think I remember the name, but that was a REALLY long time ago.

Carry on...

mrsmig
07-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I guess I belong in neither camp. I never wanted to read the books because I found the illustrations so unattractive. Me no like ugly bears.

Looking at the illustrations now, the Bears seem weirdly Simpsons-esque - which is weird because they pre-date The Simpsons. Or do they?

::screams as she disappears down her own worm-hole::

chompers
07-01-2014, 05:37 PM
What the heck. I could have sworn it was an E. I'd double check, except I no longer have any of my old Berenstein/Berenstain Bear books. And I had a lot. I loved those. Oh, nostalgia.

Wilde_at_heart
07-01-2014, 05:55 PM
I encountered this elsewhere on the net. Do you remember those beloved bears as Berenstein (wrong) or Berenstain (right). The author of this blog, believes that something weird happened and it may involve parallel dimensions...or simply mass faulty memory:

http://woodbetweenworlds.blogspot.com/search/label/Berenstein%20Bears

It's a fun read. I swear I remember them as Berenstein, but my memory is total crap...

Which universe are you from?

The 'Berenstein' universe. Not that I ever read them - I only remember seeing the covers at some point, somewhere.

I've long believed in frequent parallel universe shifts. Once had a boss who did as well, and that was her excuse whenever she was busted making an error about something :D

veinglory
07-01-2014, 06:11 PM
It seems more likely to me that falling for the assonance in the the name is a more likely explanation. I mean I was convinced the spelling was Malificent and have always said it that way. I was just wrong. People are often wrong en mass under the right circumstances.

AHunter3
07-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I remember them from an era when it was book, singular, not books, plural.

The Big Honey Hunt was one of my own childhood books.

Diana Hignutt
07-01-2014, 08:52 PM
It seems more likely to me that falling for the assonance in the the name is a more likely explanation. I mean I was convinced the spelling was Malificent and have always said it that way. I was just wrong. People are often wrong en mass under the right circumstances.

Well, yeah, and as adults we've seen a lot more names ending in "stein" than "stain"...so that probably colors (distorts) our memories....

Myrealana
07-01-2014, 09:07 PM
I've never thought about it, but if it were spelled with an 'e', I would have pronounced it BerenstIne - long I. I've always pronounced it BerenstAne - long A.

I've never heard anyone say it differently.

Gilroy Cullen
07-01-2014, 09:23 PM
I suspect, as we aged, the beer overwhelmed the bear and changed the stain into a stein.

:D