R+R question

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm probably being pre-emptive for this, but I bet I'm not the only one who may have or has had this issue - it hasn't exactly happened yet, but I'd like to be prepared for if it does:

I believe an agent is going to offer me an R+R, because they want to call me and talk about some revision ideas. Obviously I'm completely open to any suggestions, and would seriously consider them. (adverb overload!) Another agent is also reading my manuscript, and has had since late March. Agent #1 and I can't talk for a little while yet, because they have deadlines and other stuff.

Though it's not always the case, of course, revisions from great agents tend to make the book stronger, so I'd like Agent #2 to be aware of the R+R situation, in the prospect that he MIGHT be open to looking at the revision. But I don't know how to handle the timeline. Do I e-mail him after Agent #1 and I talk, or after I've completed the revision?

I mean, R+Rs tend to be quite exhaustive, and I'm getting really busy, so it might drag on for a long time yet. So he might reject the current full before I've even mentioned the R+R. Would the reaction be different if he was currently reading it rather than having already rejected, or, if he wants the revision, will it likely be the same no matter what?

[sorry, this is crazy-long and full of run-on sentences - Agent #1 and I haven't even talked yet, so this is all very hypothetical and weird, but I'd like it if I could have some AW wisdom yesterday to calm myself down :D.]

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to wait on if you get an R&R and go from there. If that would happen, I wouldn't mention it to the other agent until you have a completed revision.

That's what I've done in the past and more than likely, they will accept the revision and read that instead. I've never had a problem with an agent telling me, "OMG, I read the whole thing and now you're telling me you revised, WTF?" sorta thing. If they did say that or something similar, than they're not professional and shouldn't be someone you'd want to work with anyway. They have to know this happens in the biz.

Good luck to you. Whatever happens, I hope it works out!!!

Last edited:

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Undercover. Don't mention it to the other agent until you've completed the R&R. I'd also wait to worry until you hear from the first agent. They may suggest changes that don't at all ring true for you. That's happened to me. If the second agent in the meantime rejects the full, they may be open to looking at it again after the R&R. You never know.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will think differently. :)

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Undercover. Don't mention it to the other agent until you've completed the R&R. I'd also wait to worry until you hear from the first agent. They may suggest changes that don't at all ring true for you. That's happened to me. If the second agent in the meantime rejects the full, they may be open to looking at it again after the R&R. You never know.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure others will think differently. :)

Ah, yes, I know. Obviously right now I'm living in the "let us agree and it work out perfectly" bubble :tongue, but it absolutely might not work that way. I was thinking more in the hypothetical that I did totally agree and wanted to work on them, partly because I was just curious about what to do if that happened, but it seems like you've answered that, too. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would wait 'til you finished the revision. Although, I was working on an R&R last summer and had a full rejection. I mentioned to that agent then (right after the rejection) that I was working on a set of revisions to correct certain things (I mentioned them in brief detail) and asked if she would be interested in seeing the revised MS. (She said no, but that's a different matter.) The other agents who had been looking at the MS at the same time, I simply contacted once I had the revisions done and let them know I had a revised MS if they were interested in seeing it.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
One other thing to consider--the agent requesting the R & R might want to work with you on an exclusive basis, in which case you wouldn't want to mention the revision to another agent until after there's been a decision from Agent Number One (that's something to work out during the phone call). If she/he isn't requesting exclusivity, I'd still hold off on mentioning the revision to other agents until after it's completed--if Agent Two rejects while you're revising, you can shoot over an e-mail like Aggy suggested to let him know that you're revising and to ask if he'd like to see the changes...

And good luck!! :) Sounds very promising!!

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
One other thing to consider--the agent requesting the R & R might want to work with you on an exclusive basis, in which case you wouldn't want to mention the revision to another agent until after there's been a decision from Agent Number One (that's something to work out during the phone call).

I was logging in JUST to say this.

If I give extensive feedback--and if she's arranging a call to talk to you it sounds in depth-- I always ask for a short exclusive. It takes a lot of time to brainstorm ways to fix things or make a book better fit the current market, and I am doing so in the hopes we get to work together. I'm also open to emails back and forth to work things out as you start to revise, and I'll read quickly when you're done. In exchange for all that I expect to get it before anyone else.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's not expressly exclusive, I think it's polite to give the agent (or editor) who has gone so in depth with you about revisions first shot at the revised story. The editor I'm revising for hasn't asked for exclusivity, but it would seem rude to revise based on her detailed suggestions and then send it to another editor before she's had a chance to say yes or no. If she eventually rejects, then I'll look at sending the revised version out.

The_Ink_Goddess

Registered
Reaction score
Even if it's not expressly exclusive, I think it's polite to give the agent (or editor) who has gone so in depth with you about revisions first shot at the revised story. The editor I'm revising for hasn't asked for exclusivity, but it would seem rude to revise based on her detailed suggestions and then send it to another editor before she's had a chance to say yes or no. If she eventually rejects, then I'll look at sending the revised version out.

Absolutely! Thanks, everyone - so much logic on this thread, none of which occurred to me when I was first thinking about it. It's a big deal, and a huge honour, so I should definitely prioritise Agent #1. Reps for all. :D

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Agent #1 may ask you if anyone else is reading it, and how many — though what happens if you say, "yes," I'm not sure. Anyway, that's great news, and good luck!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have anything to add, but I happened across this thread and just wanted to say good luck. :)