MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Hi guys,

I wonder if you could help me with my research--

I'm trying to find out what public transport would have been like during the German invasion of France in 1940.

Particularly for those French citizens who would have wanted to flee France and go to Britain?

Would such transport have been possible? And if not, at what point would it have been cut off?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Which part of France are you setting your story?

I ask because people-smuggling routes would vary greatly depending on where they are.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Particularly for those French citizens who would have wanted to flee France and go to Britain?
Every freakin' boat in the harbor. :)

Think Dunkirk. There were a ton of civilians transported as well as retreating troops.

Jeff

MJRevell

www.mikerevell.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mikerevell.com
Thanks for the help guys. The character in question is fleeing Paris in early 1940 (although the date can of course be changeable).

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is it easier for your character to go south to Spain, and then to either Lisbon or Gibraltar? Not sure whether French Railways continued running during the 'phoney war' but my guess is they did.

KarmaPolice

Registered
Reaction score
Victor Serge gave a good details of his journey through France in 1940, finally getting out of Marseilles by ship to Mexico in his autobiography Memoirs of a Revolutionary.