Go you chicken fat go!

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
We have a TV advert here at the moment which shows people using their Ipads and Iphones to monitor their perfomances in training. It has the above song on it. It sounds like it's from an American musical

What does 'chicken fat' mean in this context? We use 'puppy fat' to describe the chubbiness of many kids in their early teens. Is it the same thing?

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a hoot. I remember Kennedy's push for fitness, but not the jingle about chicken fat (still chuckling here.)

:D

ETA: I think the lyrics (from above link) explain the metaphor:

Give that chicken fat
Back to the chicken,
And don't be chicken again.
No, don't be chicken again.

IOW if you don't work out and are flabby, you're not only unfit, you're a chicken too! Yipes!

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Ah! Thank you all!

It's caused quite a lot of bemusement over here. Everyone wondering what chicken fat had to do with training!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I assumed it was just a metaphor for unsightly flab or untoned flesh. I think the ad is very on trend. I started using a fitness app shortly before it started playing. When I discussed it at work many of my colleagues were using similar apps. The built in pedometer and other phone features really lend themselves to this sort of use.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
Thank god it's not just me! Every time that ad's on, the song get stuck in my head and I've no idea what 'chicken fat' means in that context. Go you chicken fat. Doesn't seem to make sense.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I kept thinking that 'chicken fat' referred to the person training and seemed an odd thing to call someone. Makes more sense now I know it refers to actual fat.

thwaitesyellow

Registered
Reaction score
Well, this thread inspired me to go for a bike ride. "Like a tortoise" - that's me. Well played, Apple, well played.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I did wonder what it meant. And I now I know I feel vaguely culturally hegemonized. Thanks fruit based name company for considering the sensitivities of Brits. I shall sing a song of marmite in revenge.

AVS

Registered
Reaction score

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
by the end of this thread we will have Americans eating marmite and vegemite. It's just a matter of time. It's inevitable.

It's never going to happen. They have cheese in spray cans.

(Is that true, America, or is that just a joke?)

ETA: It's not an ad, but there's this. For the ketchup-lovers.

Last edited:

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's never going to happen. They have cheese in spray cans.

ETA: It's not an ad, but there's this. For the ketchup-lovers.

Oh yes, very clever! But does it wipe up after itself? No it does not! Humph!

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
They have cheese in spray cans.

Friend, you haven't lived until you've upended a can of "cheese food" into your gaping maw and then pressed the trigger.

Alternate that with slugs of good, rank Mexican beer, and it's 1971 all over again, Hendrix is on the quadraphonic, and the I Felta Thi girls are on their way over. :D

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Cheese in cans...those were the days.

Go you chicken fat...I remember hearing that song--hated it, for some reason--when I was a kid. Robert Preston always had a very distinctive voice and my folks always liked him (The Music Man) but that song...just never liked it.

And I don't have the apps, either.:)

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Thank goodness for this thread, I've been utterly baffled for weeks!
--

If you want to know the significance of the word 'bupkis', just ask. I had to explain that to an acquaintance of mine last week and he just didn't get it...

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hate that song, and therefore the ad, so much.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I had to explain pay phones to my freshmen this year because of a picture of one in a workbook. Chicken fat is even more archaic than pay phones, dime sodas and non-microwave popcorn.

I remember it and not fondly. I was in 7th grade, read on an embarrassingly high reading level but had given up bike riding and softball because at 12, I didn't want to be a "tomboy"--whoa there is another archaic expression that needs to be explained to kids today. The last time I tried to explain it to a class--I think it is in "To Kill a Mockingbird"-- I said it was a girl who wanted to play boy games and dress like a boy. One of the kids asked "Why is that bad?" Thank God.

Anyway, girls of that era were expected to play a little volleyball--a much more mannerly sport than now, sunbathe, not swim--ever see those bouffant nightmares? They had to be maintained at all time when poolside. Maybe, if she were REALLy athletic, a girl could mince around a tennis court in a short skirt carrying a wooden racket.

By 7th grade the athlete in me had been stifled. I wore orthopedic oxfords and had more than a dab of chicken fat. I, of course, hated those awful calisthenics, we all did, but after the school workouts my bike became fun to ride again. We could get a learner's permit at 13 then--still can, so my friends had started driving everywhere. And smoking. I have always hated cigaret smoke and in those times everyone smoked. I didn't have to ride around in a car breathing in cigaret smoke. I could ride to the pool and library on my bike again. It was socially acceptable. TV said so. The President said so.

Commercials showed attractive girls riding bikes and actually swimming in the water. My girlfriends and I took a five mile hike to a local park. Lots of people were on the road hiking that day--it was a big thing! Our moms met us at the park and we had a picnic and water fight! I started swimming out to the diving raft at the lake, something I hadn't done since I was a kid of eleven. I lost weight, got blonder with flatter hair, joined a softball team and then--about a decade later Martina took the court with her 120 mph serve and it was cool to sweat!

Even as a mom with 3 kids I played town team volleyball, softball, played tennis, walked, rode my bike to and from work. Even as a great grammy I spent a good part of yesterday planting a tree, weeding, harvesting peaches. I look on Chicken Fat as a lifesaver! --s6

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember the song from gym class. The gym teacher used to play a "45" of the song while we we exercising. It was either jr high or high school, I can't recall which one, but probably junior high.