May I hang here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie who has only ventured out of the Newbie board once so far. It was painless and I thought I'd try again.

Is it OK to hang here if I'm not officially a humor writer (yet)?

Currently I write for a trade publication. But I'd like to try my hand at humor writing. I have perused some suggested humor-writing web sites, but wondered if any of you could suggest any good online classes on humor writing?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Say something funny and you may dangle for certain. :) (I'd better run; the bouncers don't find me amusing...)

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
Welcome

I have this wonderful humor writing course. I only costs you the shirt off your back. Please insert your shirt into the CD drive and wait for your fun-filled course.

As an added bonus, for only your pants, you can get a second course. Yes, it's the Writing Funerals for Fun and Profit course. SImply remove your pants and stuff them into the modem slot.

(If you are funnier than that, you are a humor writer. Maybe not a good one, but a humor writer anyway.)

Allen

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
test

Wow, that's pressure! I hope I can pass.

I think when I write a book about the psychotherapy biz, I will title the chapter on couple's counseling, "If My Wife Trusted Me More, I Wouldn't Have to Move In with My Girlfriend." A patient actually said that to me.

batyler65

Plot Monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Nancy!
You don't have to have writing credits to hang here, just a sense of humor.

I've never taken an online class, so I can't recommend any. There are some humor resources pinned to the top of this board, and some prompts for when the well runs dry.

The best way I know to learn to write humor is to read other humor writers. Read everything funny that you can lay hands on from Comic strips to The Congressional Record. Oops. Slipped. Anyhooooo...

Welcome!

Barb
Your sometimes helpful Humor Mod and Tour Guide.

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, Barb.

As an old pro (and I mean realllly old) in other areas of my life, I had forgotten newbie-ness and how uncomfortable it can be. But I have found the Water Cooler to be very welcoming and accepting of all levels of writing expertise and experience.

So, hopefully I can learn here as I head into humor writing.

johnwcarlisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aguidetomiddleage.blogspot.com
Nancy:
I, too, am an old newbie. In fact, I just found this site less than an hour ago.

I remember back in the dark ages my creative writing prof at UT in Austin telling us to write what we know. That would not even make a short story, even after 53+ years. But humility was rarely in my vocabulary, so I have ventured into writing a semi-humorous work called Hot Flashes Are Contagious. http://aguidetomiddleage.blogspot.com

After a dozen rejection letters from prospective agents, I got the bright idea of posting various excerpts on a blog. The comments were encouraging, but they came from friends and friends of friends.

The question I have is, "Where can I go to get valuable (objective) criticism?"

Last edited:

Nancy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

Hi John:

Thanks for chiming in as another old newbie! Briefly checked out your blog. I love your chapter titles! Very refreshing to see something about men and hot flashes in the same sentence.

I look forward to spending more time reading your stuff.

:welcome:

johnwcarlisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Nancy.

I look forward to some fresh eyes.

Though the book is ostensibly for men, I really think that women will be the driving force behind any real acceptance. But, isn't that just the way it is in the real world?

John

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
johnwcarlisle said:
http://aguidetomiddleage.blogspot.com
After a dozen rejection letters from prospective agents, I got the bright idea of posting various excerpts on a blog. The comments were encouraging, but they came from friends and friends of friends.

The question I have is, "Where can I go to get valuable (objective) criticism?"

John,

You can post excerpts in the Humor part of the Share Your Work forum (password vista), and link to it in the "Need a Humor Crit" thread.

Also, take a look around this board, especially those boards and threads dealing with finding an agent and a publisher, and writing non-fiction books in general. There's a lot more to the biz than simply writing the book -- you have to know how to pitch it, and who to pitch it to.

Best of luck to both you and Nancy, and welcome to the cooler!

johnwcarlisle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeshanu said:
John,

You can post excerpts in the Humor part of the Share Your Work forum (password vista), and link to it in the "Need a Humor Crit" thread.

Also, take a look around this board, especially those boards and threads dealing with finding an agent and a publisher, and writing non-fiction books in general. There's a lot more to the biz than simply writing the book -- you have to know how to pitch it, and who to pitch it to.

Best of luck to both you and Nancy, and welcome to the cooler!

Nancy:

Ruth's suggestion was great, i.e., to put something on the Share Your Work forum. Although I am still figuring out what "pledge" to make concerning submissions to the real world, I am pledging to critique at least 5 works a week for the next few weeks while I am getting my feet wet. If I want feedback, I have to give feedback as well.

Good luck and I am looking forward to reading some of your work as well.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.