• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking couple mss for beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, so I'm happy to start without expecting anything in return, with the goal of giving feedback before summer is gone. With that said, if you want to direct exchange a YA novel, I'm willing (all my mss are ~60k magical realist YA).

What I'd like to read:

Fiction only. MG/YA/NA, ideally <80k. No dystopian, horror, mindless violence, religious themes. My favorite types of stories are those which feature real consequences for characters, but ultimately end on a positive note with some sort of victory, even if it is pyrrhic. I can't stand gimmicky premises founded on "wouldn't it be neat if..." but then don't have the creativity to explore the realistic ramifications of the initial idea. Most comfortable areas are fantasy of all types, contemporary, magic realism.

Feedback: I give holistic criticism, but it depends on where the problems are. Text should be at least draft+ 1 polish, ideally has been read aloud/corrected at least once. If you don't agree with me about the value of hearing the text, you might want to look elsewhere. I pay attention to the sound of the words (which is not an excuse for great-sounding but substanceless prose). I would best describe my feedback as honest, but always with an eye towards how to fix the particular problem. If I think text is a complete loss, though, I'll say so directly.

Credentials: I have a B.A. in Creative Writing, an M.A. and Ph.D in Humanities. I read everything my three kids (ages 9-15) read, good and bad. I usually read widely in fantasy (less so for sci-fi) of all types, and any MG/YA/NA that interests me. I've beta-read and proofed for individuals before, both for creative and academic writing, just not in this community.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write what you'd most like to see, but I just want to say I really like the attitude of arriving ready to give before asking for anyone to give to you. I think we're going to get along quite nicely!

Maryn, delighted to have you here

Status
Not open for further replies.