We all need to know what happens to dogs in parked cars

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is an established P&CE thread about the toddler left in an SUV. The father is alleged to have searched for information online about what how long it takes an animal to die in a parked car prior to the incident. I am not trying to continue commentary about the toddler incident in this thread. That's properly left to its own place. However, it reminded me of this great (albeit hard to read) piece:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/columnist/pettalk/2009-07-14-dogs-in-hot-cars_N.htm
"Don't think for a minute that dogs can survive in a hot car," USA Today, 2009.

We all need to know this. My gut reaction on going past a dog alone in a car in a grocery parking lot is still to chuckle and think he's a cute little/big guy. I am trying to be more mindful about that. From the article above:

It's 11 a.m., 75 degrees.

In the Safeway parking lot, two hairy dogs are panting and pacing in a car with windows cracked about 5 inches.

... the temperature doesn't have to be in the 90s for a car-bound animal to be in deep trouble. At much lower temperatures, particularly if the sky is cloudless, the humidity high or the car dark-colored, a vehicle becomes a sauna fast. And cracking windows a few inches accomplishes practically nothing (though many owners of now-dead pets thought it would).

In fact, researchers learned that when it's a sunny 78 degrees, the temperature in a parked car with windows cracked rises at least 32 degrees in 30 minutes. So: 78 degrees to 110 in half an hour.

As the temperature rises and the dog realizes it's in trouble, it becomes frantic, tries to get out, scratching at windows or digging at the seat or floor. It's an awful moment, the dog's moment of realization. ... Dogs, of course, panic, since they can devise no strategies other than digging desperately. They often bloody themselves in this effort to survive. Some have heart attacks.

The panic doesn't last long. Very quickly the dog goes prostrate, begins vomiting, having diarrhea and lapsing into unconsciousness. Organs are disintegrating.

"When you do an autopsy on a dog that died this way, the organs are soupy."

This isn't cute, and it isn't okay. It isn't enough that dogs put in these situations often get lucky, no more than it is okay that unbuckled kids often get lucky enough to get away with it.

Added: The article details one death of a dog whose owner was merely doing a short bank visit. Unfortunately, he fell and hit his head. The owner ended up being okay. The dog wasn't.

I have my own furry friend. He loves car rides. I don't take him anymore unless I have plans for what to do with him every step. If it's winter, no problem. If not, there's either a plan, or he stays home. He doesn't understand why. I do.

Last edited:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I have my own furry friend. He loves car rides. I don't take him anymore unless I have plans for what to do with him every step. If it's winter, no problem. If not, there's either a plan, or he stays home. He doesn't understand why. I do.

I just get sick when I hear about things like that.

Therefore, like you, I take my little bit with me when I will be in control of her every step of the way. If anything I do requires I leave her alone in the car, even for a "few minutes"? To her disappointment, she stays home.

I make it up to her by driving to the end of the road and back. That seems to mollify her.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. For Beo, if we can't work in an extra run or ride, he at least gets to sleep in the choice spot: not at the foot of the bed, but next to my butt.

This does not make my own excursions of the romantic persuasion any easier. Come to think of it, that's a part of what makes going out so much more complicated than when I was younger. So it goes. :)

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. But sometimes a person has no choice. I will be traveling with my two dogs on 1,000 mile trip because I have no one to watch them and no money to board them. I have to make rest stops and I already know that even running into the bathroom at a rest stop and right back out again will leave the truck hot in the middle of summer. I am worried, but without recourse.

Rest stops should have areas where a person traveling with a dog could take the dog inside out of the heat. Pets aren't allowed inside. And many rest stops don't have any shady areas to park in, either.

I will eat fast food crap so I can just go through a drive through to keep from leaving them for any time in the truck along the way. I wouldn't think of going into a restaurant and sitting there while they overheat. But I still worry about those rest stops.

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry. But sometimes a person has no choice.... I am worried, but without recourse.

Yeah, I know. I've done road trips, too--the kind where you got rid of everything that won't fit in your vehicle because you can't afford to ship it. I think we'll eventually develop social structures to support a growing understanding of this kind of problem, but we aren't there yet. Not consistently.

Ambrosia, I want to assure you that I was careful about my wording. I hemmed and hawed over it in my head for awhile. I deliberately chose language like "we all need to know" and "I am trying to be more mindful" because I won't preemptively judge someone who doesn't make the same choices I do, or someone who cannot.

I still want to talk about it. The fact that cracked windows don't help too much is counter-intuitive, and we do need to know the risks.

For myself, I am much more likely (as in, I would not have done it before) to wait and make sure dogs I see in parked cars are okay. I am likely to consider talking to the driver in a friendly way, if the opportunity arises. That's a harder one, though, as I often look, ah, weathered, when I'm out and about, and that might not go over so well. But I'm thinking about it.

I have no plans to automatically call any sort of enforcement. I am damned if I will not make myself more mindful meanwhile.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I was driving on a huge multi-hour trip once with one of our dogs, and we had a flat. It was 100 degrees without being in the car, and it was pretty terrifying. I'd been a bit worried about us, but a lot worried about her.

We took her out while we changed the tire, and when we finally made it to a tire place to get it replaced for good, they were kind enough not only to let us bring her inside, but to give us a bowl of water because she was obviously hot (we'd been giving her water from a cup). It was a scary thing.

Some dog breeds can overheat at 85 degrees. I won't leave mine in the car at all, which isn't too hard considering they hate car trips and don't go many places because of it. I always worry when I see a dog sitting in the car, though.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Just an aside...

the outside temperatures where I live regularly get to triple digits in the summer. We have days around 110 degrees, and I often go out and have nice, hard work-outs in triple-digit temps (we train parkour 2-4 hours at a stretch.)

How in the heck could 110 degrees be enough to turn a dog's insides to soup, when my dogs think it fun to run alongside me at that temp? I'm on a ranch, and I do have outside dogs...

I suppose it's a difference in what the dog has been acclimated to. I know people can have heat strokes at 90 degrees, but here, that's nothing. Pretty much every day this month is going to be hotter than that. But isn't it odd how actual, physical damage can happen or not based on acclimatization?

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
How in the heck could 110 degrees be enough to turn a dog's insides to soup, when my dogs think it fun to run alongside me at that temp? I'm on a ranch, and I do have outside dogs...

I suppose it's a difference in what the dog has been acclimated to. I know people can have heat strokes at 90 degrees, but here, that's nothing. Pretty much every day this month is going to be hotter than that. But isn't it odd how actual, physical damage can happen or not based on acclimatization?

My bet is that having the breeze makes a world of difference. Being stuck in a car with the windows cracked doesn't let the dog cool off. For myself I can handle higher temps outside, but having no air movement at the same temp inside makes me want to pass out.

ETA: Hmm, makes me wonder if anyone makes a little fan that's vehicle battery-powered that attaches to the open window rim to make the air move around...

Last edited:

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Yes. Heat acclimatization absolutely plays a known role in the development (or not) of heat stroke in dogs. People, too.

There is an excellent but technical paper (pdf) from Veternary Medicine: Research and Reports at http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dovepress.com%2Fgetfile.php%3FfileID%3D14881&ei=tJmtU-mZD6nz8AG3ooHIDg&usg=AFQjCNHFTGco6naS7PQXtq-XsXA7KF7cew&sig2=Ur7gUzWfRhzCq2Hz5JTAKA&bvm=bv.69837884,d.b2U

Abstract: Canine heatstroke is a life-threatening condition resulting from an imbalance between heat dissipation and production, and characterized by a nonpyrogenic elevation in core body temperature above 41°C (105.8°F). Several exogenous and endogenous factors may predispose dogs to the development of heatstroke; on the other hand, adaptive mechanisms also exists which allow organisms to combat the deleterious effects of heat stress, which are represented by the cellular heat-shock response and heat acclimatization. The pathophysiology and consequences of heatstroke share many similarities to those observable in sepsis and are related to the interaction between the direct cytotoxicity of heat, the acute physiological alterations associated with hyperthermia, such as increased metabolic demand, hypoxia, and circulatory failure, and the inflammatory and coagulation responses of the host to the widespread endothelial and tissue injuries, which may culminate in disseminated intravascular coagulation, systemic inflammatory response syndrome, and multiple organ dysfunction.

So it's a cascade effect, just like in humans. At a given temperature non-acclimatized dog may tip over into the cascade of physiologic effects leading to "soup," whereas an acclimatized dog may not.

Kind of like people with heart attacks. A healthy (acclimatized to exercise) person can exercise with a high heart rate. Someone not acclimatized (say, blocked arteries) may exercise by shovelling snow on the weekend, raise their heart rate, block off an artery, start killing off a wall of the heart, trigger an arrythemia or heart failure, build up fluid in the lungs, decrease blood flow to the brain, etc.

Why didn't the other person with the high heart rate get lung or brain damage? The initial trigger for the cascade of effects wasn't there.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you take the chance, you take the risk. if it goes wrong, you own the responsibility. IMHO, if it is over 70 degrees I find a rest stop I can sneak the dog into. Even if that means behind a bush.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone should think about the outside temperature at which they feel they could reasonably leave the dog in the car.... then, they should go sit in their car with the windows cracked and see how long it takes them to become too uncomfortable to stay there. In fact, set a stop watch for fifteen minutes and wait for the moment where they realize they're not going to make it to fifteen minutes. And then think about how their dog doesn't have a stop watch and doesn't know when they're coming back and has absolutely no way to just quit the experiment like the human does.

I'm serious. Nothing makes you more aware of the need to not leave your dog in the car like experiencing it for yourself.

There was a news report not long ago here in Houston about a dog being locked in a car at a water park while the family was in having fun for the day. A concerned woman posted about it to various FB pages, and people actually got in their cars and drove to the park with crowbars and rocks and shovels and such to break out the car windows. There was a cop, and eventually a park employee got a hand through the window crack and managed to unlock the car.

The cop hung around until close and arrested the owner for animal cruelty.

Last edited: