PDA

View Full Version : If you could meet any one person on AW...who would it be?

eldragon
03-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Choose one person, from anywhere in the world. Only people on AW, though. Say, for lunch or something.

I think I'd pick Aruna. She seems like a very interesting person.

Maryn
03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, Pam, what a good question. There are so many people I'm absolutely certain I'd like, a handful I'd like to slap, and everyone else is fascinating in one way or another.

I'm going to go with TrumanCoyote. I'm buying lunch, Zach. Order anything you want.

Maryn, who'd like a Partridge-Family-style bus and would drive around taking everyone to lunch

rich
03-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Reph, for one. She's so disciplined--I could drive her crazy.

Eraser, too. I figure I'd get to fish the north side of Lake Ontario.

eldragon
03-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Truman is definitely on my list.

So is Unique and Lantern Jack.

rekirts
03-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Ooh, tough question. There are quite a few interesting people here, but I think I'd choose Dawno--if she'd stop running over things long enough.

NeuroFizz
03-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Honestly, I have four. First and foremost, would be willliam haskins. I would like to see the man behind the incredible intellect, but also see just how much of a smokescreen he's released here at AW in terms of his personality. I'd also like to pick his brain on a number of issues, literary and not.

Second would be Truman. Again, interesting intellect packaged in an out-of-ordinary sense of humor, dripping with intrigue. And on his turf (my former stomping grounds), possibly over happy hour at Macayos in downtown Tempe.

Third, I think Robeiae and I could raise some serious hell, and have a great time doing it.

Finally, I have this sneaking suspicion that Poetinahat and I have some sort of collaboration looming off at the horizon, and I can't explain why.

I don't mean to slight the wonderful women of AW, there are several I'd like to get to know way better than on these posts, but some may be too much of a temptation, and I am a good boy. I am a good boy. I am a good boy.

PrettySpecialGal
03-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Jo~, definitely.

And it would have to be a birthday lunch, of course.

also SeptemberSkies and TinyTerror. That would be fun.

and I am with NeuroFizz- I'm a good girl, so I won't mention the men...

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
I refuse to choose. For one thing I have this horribly dibilitating fear of meeting people.

Second, there are just so many here I'd like to meet that I can't narrow it down to just one.

Best I can do is say it would be female, single, young and attractive. :tongue

OK, seriously, I think for real now, (and I still can't narrow it down to just one), Jamesaritchie, Uncle Jim, and Cathy C. As long as we talked books and writing I'd be fine and my trembling probably wouldn't be too too noticable (although the profuse sweating and quiver in my voice might give me away).

Jaycinth
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
There's a bunch of folks here that I love. So to be fair, I'll take one of you to lunch...but you'll have to bring about 50 AW friends. Barbecue...my back yard....Early August, we'll feast from my garden in addition to getting rid of those chickens that have been annoying me...I mean what idiot keeps chickens in a city...( sorry..y'all didn't need to hear that....) I also do a wonderful thing with shrimp on skewers.......

Stew21
03-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Honestly, I have four. First and foremost, would be willliam haskins. I would like to see the man behind the incredible intellect, but also see just how much of a smokescreen he's released here at AW in terms of his personality. I'd also like to pick his brain on a number of issues, literary and not.

Second would be Truman. Again, interesting intellect packaged in a out-of-ordinary sense of humor, dripping with intrigue. And on his turf (my former stomping grounds), possibly over happy hour at Macayos in downtown Tempe.

Third, I think Robeiae and I could raise some serious hell, and have a great time doing it.

Finally, I have this sneaking suspicion that Poetinahat and I have some sort of collaboration looming off at the horizon, and I can't explain why.

I don't mean to slight the wonderful women of AW, there are several I'd like to get to know way better than on these posts, but some may be too much of a temptation, and I am a good boy. I am a good boy. I am a good boy.

add yourself to that list, and I'll want to join...call it a party. I'll cook (and I'll stay out of the way, and just listen through the wall since no women are allowed. ;)

underthecity
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I would want to meet XthenavigatorX. For some reason, I visualize him looking just like his avatar, and anyone who looks like that is bound to be interesting and fun to hang out with.

I've already met maestrowork, so he's off the list.

allen

Yeshanu
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I've already met Frank (eraser). We had a great day, and posed at the zoo in front of a sign that said, "Fish Clan." :D
I've also met Kida Adelyne, of course. 17-plus years ago. More than 18 if you count gestation... :tongue

I want to meet a whole gang of people, but I think next on my list is CC. I'm going to talk with the kids this weekend about the possibility of a three-week vacation to drive out west this year or next.

Jenna, of course. Mac, and Dawno, and Ray, and Katiemac, and Barb and Tri and Allenparker and Kevin Yarborough and...

Oh, yeah. Maryn, you can show up at my door in your bus anytime. Chinese or Italian?

Spirit_Fire
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I think I'd surround myself with the likes of Haskins, poetinahat, Neurofizz, and Maestrowork. I think it's good to have some intelligent conversation from time to time.

I'd also like to meet Maryn, because she seems so nice.

Angela
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Are you kidding? There are so many people here that I would like to meet.....I couldn't even begin to narrow it down to just one person.

I'd have to think long and hard about that one....

PrettySpecialGal
03-17-2006, 07:23 PM
add yourself to that list, and I'll want to join...call it a party. I'll cook (and I'll stay out of the way, and just listen through the wall since no women are allowed. ;)

I'll crash the party with you, Weasley twin!

dahmnait
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
There are too many intelligent and interesting people here that I would love to meet. If I thought about it, I would take so long deciding that I would miss the meeting.

(Ok, maybe poetinahat, based purely on location.)

underthecity
03-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Forgot a couple more I'd like to meet:

Researchguy Ken.
Memphis Ed.

Stew21
03-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I'll crash the party with you, Weasley twin!

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

maestrowork
03-17-2006, 07:37 PM
I'd have to think long and hard about that one....

I'm in.

(can't resist)

Stew21
03-17-2006, 07:40 PM
wow Maestro - that does sound like a party!

Angela
03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Maestro is such a BAAAAAAAAD boy........

robeiae
03-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I very much want to meet Mac...I wanna see if she's got the stones to mouth off to me to my face. Oh, and Aconite and Birol, too.

Rob :)

alleycat
03-17-2006, 07:55 PM
It's hard to choose one. Some on my list would include Jenna, poetinahat, Carole, Julie Worth (for an unusual reason), sherri123, Haskins, JAlpha. . . .

The one I'm going to meet soon is storygirl; I'm taking her and the kids to a baseball game if we can work it out.

P.H.Delarran
03-17-2006, 07:58 PM
just ONE????

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 08:13 PM
I'd also like to meet Maryn, because she seems so nice.

Dang. I forgot Maryn. That would make a foursome for bridge or something, so I could sit in the corner and just listen.

(Can I just make a top ten list?)

Annabella
03-17-2006, 08:36 PM
This is a tough question....
I'd like to meet Dawno, Jenna, Maryn, Werencole (I wanna talk food with him), Trumancoyote, poetinahat, Maestrowork (I want to get a book signed),Cathy C, Celia Cyanide, Writerterri, oh forget it I'd like to meet all of you :)

Maryn
03-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Shock and awe.

I mean, why on earth would anybody want to meet me? There's undoubtedly somebody just as nice within a quarter mile of you--and maybe she writes hot stuff, too. We tend to keep it to ourselves, you know?

I've acquired the AW tour bus and am sandblasting it this weekend. Painting party every night this coming week--the theme is books and reading. Artistic suggestions? I'm not that kind of creative.

Maryn, wondering what ever happened to that thread in which we all discussed attending the same major book convention

dahmnait
03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Shock and awe.

I mean, why on earth would anybody want to meet me? So much for you working on being disliked. :D

Old Hack
03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
There are so many here I'd like to meet (even Haskins) that I can't narrow it down to even five, let alone one. How about a party here once the weather warms up? You're all welcome, and can stay. If you can cope with the squalor in which we live!

Failing that, and picking up on the writing convention idea which was mentioned, could there be an AW convention one of these days? There are plenty of people here who could talk on many aspects of writing, and I'm sure we could find somewhere with a hot tub for Ray...!

Pat~
03-17-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm with Jaycinth; I'd have a backyard BBQ (though not in August ;) ). There are too many to choose just one, and what's interesting is the mix. Everybody's invited--the yard can handle it. (Though I might send engraved invites to DJ, writerterri, kdnxdr, JAlpha, Perks, S'Skies, PSG, Mr/Mrs poetinahat, shwebb, sherri1234, Unique,...and a few others I know I'm just not thinking of right now.)

Not to sound disloyal, but I have arranged meetings with people I've met on another writer's forum...one of them is coming all the way from Australia for a week's visit right after Thanksgiving this year! Though we've never met face to face, I consider her one of my closest friends. I'm thankful for forums like these.

PattiTheWicked
03-17-2006, 09:40 PM
There are a lot of people on this forum I'd love to meet, for a variety of reasons: haskins, TrumanCoyote, poetinahat (partly because it would warrant a trip to Oz), ScarletPeaches, Carole, Dawno (to see if she sparkles in real life), Optimus, and a bunch of other folks.

Maybe we should just plan a potluck. I'll bring cake.

Cathy C
03-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Sorry, shadow--I don't know bridge... One of the very few I never learned. I play a mean game of spades, though. And backgammon, cribbage, a smattering of Go and lots of board games, too. :)

Wow! I can't even think of the list I'd like to meet! Pretty much everyone in the Mod Squad, I think and a bunch of the rest of you. Definitely Jenna, three seven, maestro, Haskins, Uncle Jim, Victoria, Susan Gable, Crinklish... and the list goes on and on!

September skies
03-17-2006, 10:06 PM
That's not fair. Who can pick just one? There's so many interesting people here. I'd love to have one big reunion type thing -- but I don't know if people would recognize me unless I painted a cat's face on.

I'd love to meet so many: Dawno (do her ears really sparkle?) Mac (who can resist her in the hat?) Unique, StoryGirl, PSG, Tiny Terror, Sherri234, and CeliaCyanide (what an interesting little girl)
But there's too many!

Then there's Eraser, Maestro, Robeiae, Poet, Shadow,Brokenfingers...and of course, Lantern Jack, Neurofizz and Haskins! And others.

sigh - I refuse to pick just one. I want to meet them all!

eta: I forgot to say Carole! Oh no! I'm sure there are hundreds more I"d love to meet.

But if any of you ever find yourself in Central California - let me know. I'm near the entrance to the Giant Redwoods (giant Sequoias) and a skip away from Yosemite.

WerenCole
03-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks for putting me on your list Anna. . . we can talked food when ever you want. . . my deal goes: You Shop, I Cook. I will buy the wine.

For a cocktail party at my house the following I would love to see PoetinaHat(as long as he is in a hat) StoryGirl, Rhymegirl, Maryn, Perks. . . I suppose Haskins and Maestro (love v. hate, poems v stories. . . this could be an interesting party) and I think that to add some spice to the event we will bring along the boys, Lantern Jack, Optimus and TravNastee.

Oh, and DamaNegra so we can speak spanish and drink tequila (ummmm, maybe when you come of age. . . we will make that a virgin margarita for now)

Jenna, Uncle Jim, Yeshanu. . .Alleycat, PrettySpecialGal. . Tiny Terror. . .

Okay. . . so I can't decide. . . this is harder than I thought it would be. . . that is why it is going to be a party instead of a lunch.

Bring Party Favors, a theme will be announced shortly.

aruna
03-17-2006, 10:37 PM
There are so many here I'd like to meet (even Haskins) that I can't narrow it down to even five, let alone one. How about a party here once the weather warms up? You're all welcome, and can stay. If you can cope with the squalor in which we live!

Failing that, and picking up on the writing convention idea which was mentioned, could there be an AW convention one of these days? There are plenty of people here who could talk on many aspects of writing, and I'm sure we could find somewhere with a hot tub for Ray...!

We discussed having a meeting this year once. We UKlers tentatively made a date to all meet up at the Hay Book Festival. Coming up soon....

I do hope and believe I'll get to meet YOU some time, then or later, as well as Nique. And Scarlet.
Oh, and Maestowork, Jenna of course, Mac... everyone!

aruna
03-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Here's the AW get-together thread.....

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23200&highlight=Book+Festival

Susie
03-17-2006, 10:47 PM
I have so many super friends I'd love to meet from here. To name some, they are, in no particular order:

Esther, Arrowqueen, Stormie, Cabria, Cass, Peg, Sherri, Deb, April, Maggie, Jen, Jen22, Ralph, JJ, Mags, Poppy, (and everyone else from the gc fourm), Dawn, Pat, Alleycat, Jenna, O'Dawno, PH, My_Immortal, Angela, Ray, Rob (Poet), Rob, Jaycinth, BrokenFingers, William, Truman, Chunky, Unique, Janet, Vanessa, Terri, Mac, Anne, Perks, PSG, TT, Birol, Eraser, etc. Oh, heck, I'd love to meet everyone. :Hug2:

MacAllister
03-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Well if any of you find yourselves in the Seattle area, drop me a PM. The first beer is definitely on me.

PrettySpecialGal
03-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Sounds good to me- anyone in CenTex can drop on by... I'll get hubby to smoke some brisket fer ya....

Birol
03-17-2006, 10:58 PM
I very much want to meet Mac...I wanna see if she's got the stones to mouth off to me to my face. Oh, and Aconite and Birol, too.

Rob :)

Thanks, Rob. I'd like to meet you one day, too.

I've already met MacAllister (yes, Rob, she does ;) ), maestrowork, batyler65, and Cate. I'd next like to meet Jenna, aka eraser, Chunky C, Good Word, Dawno, oh, and that Liam fellow, too. There's more, but I'm sure there's a character limit to replies.

Perks
03-17-2006, 11:04 PM
I am plotting, as we speak, a sneak attack on a few AWers - maps, bank account and passport at the ready. But if I name them, they may have time to file one of those pesky restraining order thingys.

So, when you least expect it, expect it.

If anyone wants to come to Asheville, I have a spare room. But you have to smoke outside, you bunch of chimneys.

OneTeam OneDream
03-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Ray (maestrowork), Allen (Underthecity), Chris (Tri), Poetinhat, Aconite (as long as we leave politics out of the discussion HA!), Charlie (Chunky C) anyone who is as warm and welcoming as he is has to be hiding something (just kidding), MacAllister and Lauri (Nomad, hopefully with publishing contract in hand...just kidding....no, but really, bring the contract....haha)

I'm sure there are some I am missing, but I have to mention Jenna, but I would be very apprehensive on meeting her....why??....how could she possibly live up to the expectation I have of her here? (That is a compliment, by the way.)

Anyone wants to have a few beers, come to St. Louis, I'll meet you there.

KTC
03-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Kathy...you're my hero.

JoeEkaitis
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
:Sun:E V E R Y O N E !:Sun:
Lined up at the signing table clutching my book in their trembling hands.

Stew21
03-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Anyone wants to have a few beers, come to St. Louis, I'll meet you there.

As you know, I'm already here! But if anyone else wants to come to St. Louis it'll be two AWers for one!

eldragon
03-17-2006, 11:21 PM
We all forgot Brokenfingers.

Can't forget him.

My-Immortal
03-17-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't think I could pick just one...

Perks
03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, we're like that box of unlabeled chocolates. Somebody's going to take a bite out of each of us and put back the fruit cremes.

CaroGirl
03-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey, I like the fruit creams.

Perks
03-18-2006, 12:06 AM
Me too. But it's as good excuse as any to bite some of the tasty folk here.

rhymegirl
03-18-2006, 12:23 AM
I have already met one person from AW--mommie4a also known as Jill. A very warm and wonderful person.

There are 4 people (2 males, 2 females) I will meet one of these days. They know who they are. And if they don't, well I guess they'll just have to wonder.

Julie Worth
03-18-2006, 12:32 AM
This question was harder than it looked, and I struggled with it, not getting anywhere. I finally said to myself, turn it around and eliminate people instead. So I did that. I eliminated anyone obviously dumber than me. That took care of two people. Anyone that always irritated me. Another two. Crap, I wasn’t getting anywhere that way either. So I looked at who wanted to meet me. Alas, there was just one of those—alleycat—who said parenthetically that it was “for an unusual reason.” Human sacrifice, no doubt. So scratch alleycat.

I wasn’t doing too well.

At that point I gave up and just wrote down some names. I’ve included these people because I’d like to have them in a writing group, or they’ve never called me a devil, or for any other unusual reason. Like human sacrifice.

batgirl—Marvelously smart, and a nun too!
aruna—She reeks of exotic places and weird romance.
storygirl—She’s here even though she once said I had a twisted little mind. I had no problem with the twisted part, of course.
Celia Cyanide—I envy her moniker, her avatar, her photo, you name it.
clara bow—Another great avatar, and way too smart for me.
brokenfingers—Who leaves me the nicest comments.
MarkPettus—Who gave me a great lead on an agent. Unfortunately, the agent drowned or something.

If anyone was left off, tough.

batgirl
03-18-2006, 12:52 AM
HapiSofi.
Except it would be like that old joke - S/he could meet me, but then s/he'd have to kill me.
-Barbara (stopping at one. Really. I can do this with potato chips too.)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-18-2006, 01:52 AM
Mac. #1's gotta be Mac. But like everyone else, it's hard to limit the list to one! I'd like to meet Aconite... and poetinahat... and Unique... and Old Hack... and Haskins... and Optimus... and about a million others.

arrowqueen
03-18-2006, 03:05 AM
I'd like to meet everybody - but since nobody wants to meet me, I'm going away to cry now.

Bastards!

SC Harrison
03-18-2006, 03:41 AM
I'd like to meet everybody - but since nobody wants to meet me, I'm going away to cry now.

Bastards!

Wait! I'll go with you. I hate crying all alone :(

If I had to pick only one, it would be Jenna. This stalking is getting tiresome.

tiny
03-18-2006, 03:53 AM
I'd love to meet everyone, but I gotta meet Broken. I owe him a punch.

Julie Worth
03-18-2006, 04:04 AM

Bastards!

I remember it all now: Friday night, a bottle of rum, a packet of fags. How could I forget!

September skies
03-18-2006, 04:28 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gif ok - I am feeling horrible now. I left out some great people - like Aruna and MarkPettus -- so, I'm just going to shut up and say I'd love to meet everyone!

Who started this ridiculous thread? We can't pick just one. I would say let's kill the person who started this thread - but I can't do that - I want to meet her too!

Is there a thread for those we don't want to meet? LOL (just kidding)

tiny
03-18-2006, 04:31 AM
Oh, now there's the thread - Who you don't want to meet.

OneTeam OneDream
03-18-2006, 04:52 AM
Oh, now there's the thread - Who you don't want to meet.

.......I've got a couple.

eldragon
03-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Who started this ridiculous thread? We can't pick just one. I would say let's kill the person who started this thread - but I can't do that - I want to meet her too!

You can probably meet me and kill me on the same visit.

Death by chocolate?

Elincoln
03-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Forget it, I have a list longer than the guest list at my wedding (and that's very long).

I've been wondering if we can't try doing a yearly AW conference that goes from place to place each year.

But till then, I really have a few people I'm hoping to meet this year. And you guys know who you are already.

Lantern Jack
03-18-2006, 05:32 AM
RACHEL!!!

kristie911
03-18-2006, 07:37 AM
This is worse than picking teams for kickball. I refuse to choose for fear of hurting feelings and will only say I want to meet everyone!

I'll just be over here, crying with arrowqueen...

Jean Marie
03-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Great pick-me-up thread. Just brilliant. I think I'll hang out w/ arrowqueen and cry. Good for self-esteem, too. Good job thread starter. Not.

Birol
03-18-2006, 09:24 AM
I think this thread was started with good intentions, but since feelings seem to be getting hurt, I think I'm going to close it and let it sink.