PDA

View Full Version : Spending Stephen King's Money

Perks
06-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Now this is just funny (http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2014/0620/Author-Emily-Schultz-s-book-is-mistaken-for-a-Stephen-King-work-but-her-wallet-is-happy-about-it) -

Writer Emily Schultz published a novel called “Joyland” in 2006 – a title that also happened to be selected by legendary author Stephen King for his 2013 novel.

Some King fans got confused by the fact that King skipped the e-book format for his book and ordered Schultz’s “Joyland” for their e-reader instead. Schultz said she began receiving Amazon reviews from readers who were either baffled by the book they’d gotten or just hadn’t liked her novel.

“I asked Amazon to change their search results to keep people from buying the wrong book but never heard back,” Schultz wrote on her Tumblr. “Apparently there were a lot of confused readers as this week I got a – for me – big royalty check for those mistaken books. I'm not so upset anymore.”

She's keeping a Tumblr record (http://stephenkingmoney.tumblr.com/) of how she's spending the money.

Liosse de Velishaf
06-25-2014, 07:44 AM
This is pretty hilarious...

Also I like King's response to it.

Filigree
06-25-2014, 08:16 AM
This is wonderful. Kudos to both of them.

triceretops
06-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Very funny story and as it turned out, rather harmless.

Smeasking
06-25-2014, 09:07 AM
THAT is hilarious! It's great that King doesn't make a big fuss about it. Besides, shouldn't the potential buyers be thoroughly reading who the author is - before they click on that "buy" button? Just sayin. Lol. :)

chompers
06-25-2014, 09:20 AM
THAT is hilarious! It's great that King doesn't make a big fuss about it. Besides, shouldn't the potential buyers be thoroughly reading who the author is - before they click on that "buy" button? Just sayin. Lol. :)
That's what I was thinking too! haha

And I have to admit that I've never read any of Stephen King's books (I know, gasp!), but I've always liked him as a person. He's rich and famous, but he seems to always want to help out others

Once!
06-25-2014, 10:03 AM
That's a great story. Her blog makes for fascinating reading - a little peak into someone else's life. I'm tempted to buy her book too. She sounds like an interesting person.

Forbidden Snowflake
06-25-2014, 10:26 AM
I love his reaction. And her blog sounds very interesting :)

JimmyB27
06-25-2014, 02:53 PM
Note to self: Write a book titled 'The Gunslinger'.

Jorshington
06-25-2014, 02:57 PM
I came up with this idea 10 seconds before you did.

Maggie Maxwell
06-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Wow, that's a brilliant way to handle such a happy accident! I can't believe so many people aren't paying attention to what they're buying, though.

DreamWeaver
06-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Reading about the whole thing put a smile on my face :). And I may go check out that surreal cyber funk album--sounds interesting!

KTC
06-25-2014, 07:58 PM
I bought it. (-: Sounds great, actually. And she's a Canadian. (-;

Phaeal
06-25-2014, 09:45 PM
I promise to spend any of Stephen King's money that comes my way, whatever the burden to myself.

Ah, the strange ways of the world and happy endings!

Siri Kirpal
06-25-2014, 10:01 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A round of applause for Stephen King! I've never read any of his books either, but if he's that good about this, I might reconsider, although I detest his genre.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gingerwoman
06-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Wow, that's a brilliant way to handle such a happy accident! I can't believe so many people aren't paying attention to what they're buying, though.

Yeah I think if people aren't paying attention to what author they're buying, that's no one's fault but their own, not Amazons.

Oh and Stephen King can definitely be adorable in these situations. <3

Perks
06-25-2014, 11:19 PM
He really does seem like a lovely person. Huge fan of his writing, first, but also of the bit of himself that he shares with the world. Great guy.

And what an interesting situation for Ms. Schultz. She seems like good fun.

bethany
06-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

A round of applause for Stephen King! I've never read any of his books either, but if he's that good about this, I might reconsider, although I detest his genre.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Stephen King transcends genre. Seriously, imho his best work are his fantasy novels. But he writes a mean slice of life, too. And his horror is unlike any other horror out there…

just saying after all these years of writing, you can't say Stephen King has a genre, just as you can't say his movies do, or properly compare the (movie versions of) The Green Mile to Carrie or The Shawshank Redemption to Cujo, or Stand By Me to The Stand. I could keep going. I mean, I guess you could compare anything, but they aren't easily compared. His body of work is quite staggering.

Ketzel
06-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Thanks for this, Perks. It put a smile on my face on an otherwise tense day.

milkweed
06-25-2014, 11:28 PM
the comments over at the interview with King where worth the read, seems a lot of folks thinks she got this money as an ill gotten gain and others are piling up on those folks commenting if your too lazy to read the authors name on the book then you deserve what you get.

Kuddos to her for keeping a good attitude about the situation.

Siri Kirpal
06-26-2014, 03:42 AM
Stephen King transcends genre. Seriously, imho his best work are his fantasy novels. But he writes a mean slice of life, too. And his horror is unlike any other horror out there…

just saying after all these years of writing, you can't say Stephen King has a genre, just as you can't say his movies do, or properly compare the (movie versions of) The Green Mile to Carrie or The Shawshank Redemption to Cujo, or Stand By Me to The Stand. I could keep going. I mean, I guess you could compare anything, but they aren't easily compared. His body of work is quite staggering.

Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ah! Well then, I really might consider it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Lady MacBeth
06-26-2014, 06:47 AM
That's too funny.

Sam Argent
06-28-2014, 12:50 AM
She is going about this in all the right ways, and props to her for trying to fix the situation even though this is because of other people's mistakes.

Fictional Cowboy
06-28-2014, 03:40 PM
Can't the people who bought her book by mistake just return it?

V.J. Allison
06-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Mr. King is one of the greats in my opinion, and his attitude about this situation makes him even better in my mind.

gingerwoman
07-23-2014, 12:46 PM
http://www.avonromance.com/book/lorraine-heath-the-gunslinger

Ride the Pen
07-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Sometimes you do something well and get no reward... othertimes you don't do anything and get a big reward.

Hard work usually pays off in the end, fate just doesn't always distribute its rewards accordingly to what you have done...

DancingMaenid
07-28-2014, 05:48 AM

I know. Am I the only one who double-checks what I'm buying before I click the button? I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more returns--she wouldn't get the money if people asked for a refund, right (not positive how Amazon works in that regard)?

I love Stephen King's reaction. And her blog.

C.bronco
07-28-2014, 06:26 AM
Stephen King is a class act. I hope to one day be like him, except female.

DreamWeaver
09-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Just checked Emily's Tumblr to see what more has happened here. Emily wrote that since Stephen King's ebook is now out, she is not expecting any more of Stephen King's money. She estimates the total came to about $3200. She even got herself a refurbished MacBook Air. I love Stephen King's tweet at the top of the page :D.