Requesting email contact VS. phone call?

alianorastar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of querying agents with my first novel, and I have a problem I haven't seen addressed yet.

I have heard that offers of representation more often come as a phone call than an email message. I am quite hard-of-hearing and rely a good deal on reading lips; thus, while I can talk on the phone, it is rather stressful and difficult for me. It is much easier for me to talk by email. I don't want to alienate any agents by mentioning in my query that I prefer email-- especially since I don't want to come across as difficult to work with.

I have not written this in any of my queries thus far, and I have several requested full manuscripts out right now. I went ahead and included my phone number because it is certainly possible for me to just deal with in the name of being easy to work with. Advice? Thanks!

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
When my agent offered...she emailed me *first* to set up a time to call. I would think at that point, you could mention that phone calls are difficult for you and you'd prefer email.

Agents are humans and will understand!

alianorastar

Registered
Reaction score
When my agent offered...she emailed me *first* to set up a time to call. I would think at that point, you could mention that phone calls are difficult for you and you'd prefer email.

Agents are humans and will understand!

Thank you! This seems like such a simple solution, and I just couldn't see it.

brs18041

Registered
Reaction score
When I got my offers, every agent emailed first asking to set up a phone call. At that point, it's pretty obvious that you're getting an offer from them. :) During each call, they'd tell me what they thought of the novel, give me feedback, hear how I responded to the feedback (to make sure I was receptive to it, I suppose), and then offered rep. Then I'd get to ask my list of questions.

Every call had this same format, which makes me think it would be hard to do this just via email. What about suggesting video chat, like on skype? Then you can read lips, and get a gauge on their personalities, enthusiasm, etc., which are all very important when choosing an agent.

Otherwise, I'm SURE agents would be understanding about the hard-of-hearing issue and you could have a back-and-forth on email. Absolutely. You just want to make sure YOU have all the information you need to make the best decision.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I've wondered about the same thing myself. Though my hearing isn't terrible, I sometime have problems understanding everything said on a phone. I've considered that if the problem came up, asking about doing a skype call or chatting through email, so I would second asking about that option if the request for a phone call comes through.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not all agents e-mail first to set up the call. Have you considered not including your phone number in the contact information, forcing them to e-mail first? (ETA: NVM, I see that you have. IMO, this is never going to happen: "I love her book. I could sell it in a minute! But she didn't provide her phone number, so I'll have to e-mail her? Rejection!") Even if you do include a number, any e-mail before will probably ask what the best number is to reach you.

I am not great at hearing people on the phone, but it was very helpful to have a conversation with agents and editors about revisions. Though I like having stuff in print to refer to in the future, the conversations have felt more enlightening than just an e-mail exchange would have been.

Last edited:

MaCain

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marycaineditor.com
I've never heard of an agent calling without emailing to set up a time. The skype is a good idea, but if it's within a reasonable distance, you could also meet in person with the agent. Or maybe they'll have some other suggestion of communication.

If an agent loves your MS enough to offer you representation, they aren't going to change their mind because you have hearing problems. Just be honest about your situation and it will all work out. Good luck!

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
See former agent Nathan Bransford's entry on a similar question, post #242.

I'm hard of hearing, too, and although I can understand most of the time on the phone, when I talk to my agent or some other important person, I plug hi-fi stereo headphones into my cell phone and talk with the phone held in front of my chin, walkie talkie style. It's a huge sound improvement.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of an agent calling without emailing to set up a time.

My first contact (outside of the email full request) came in a phone call on a Tuesday afternoon with no prior warning. It was fairly brief, but it does happen.

FWIW, I felt like I stammered like an idiot through the whole thing, but that didn't make a difference in the end. If an agent does call without warning, it's perfectly acceptable to explain your situation then and ask if you can either try Skype or email or an instant messenger service, etc. If they like your book, they will be happy to work with you on the issue.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
There ARE agents who call out of the blue to offer, so to avoid that just leave the number off. Most email in advance to set up the call, and then do as others say-- be honest. You COULD have someone help you, I suppose, by maybe using a speaker phone and "translating" if neccessary by saying (so you could do lip reading) or writing what osmeone says, but I could see that being awkward, too.

It would be more work for an agnet to type up revision notes, rather than talk them out with you, but other than that, i do almost all my work via email and would be 100% fine with an all-email client.

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
My wonderful agent called me out of the blue to offer - three hours after an email saying she was about 100pgs in and really enjoying. It was a Saturday arvo NZ time, so Friday night US and she'd figured out NZ cell number too (I don't have a landline). We ended up talking for 90 mins, and that was how I knew she was the agent for me - her passion, knowledge and enthusiasm just wowed me and I knew we'd be able to talk about anything. (Plus, she did some twitter recon and saw a conversation where I'd mentioned scheduled phone calls made me nervous as hell, so decided to just do it. :) )

But if phone calls are a problem, just skip the number and if the question is asked, like others have said, go the Skype way or just email.

All the best! :)

TerryRodgers

Registered
Reaction score
Buy an amplifier for your phone. You'd surprise how loud you can make a phone's volume for a few bucks.

Heathertruett

Wordy Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.madamerubies.com
I've never heard of an agent calling without emailing to set up a time.

My first agent called without an email. I wasn't expecting it and didn't recognize the number. I was on vacation with family. I didn't answer.

He left a voice mail and then he emailed me.

If they really want your work, they will make it work.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
If it helps. I have never spoken to my agent in person or on the phone (at least partly due to time difference, and partly we never needed to)

Depending on your agent (some prefer calls but will accommodate any difficulty) it's entirely possible to do business via email