A Site With Book Synopses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
I'm currently helping my husband do a psychology research project involving literature, but we're trying to find a site (or multiple sites), which have reliable synopses of various books, so we have an idea of where to start the research from. Primarily we're looking for ones that target the college-age audience... older YA, NA, and adult books with near-college age protagonists.

Any suggestions? I know Goodreads has blurbs, but we're looking for a site that reliably details the plot of the book and the type of protagonists involved.

Thanks in advance for the help, and Mods, please feel free to move this if you think a different forum would be better suited to the topic.

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions? I know Goodreads has blurbs, but we're looking for a site that reliably details the plot of the book and the type of protagonists involved.

The only place I can think of for books generally is Wikipedia. For Science Fiction books the SF Encyclopedia should be able to help.
In both cases you would have to have the names of the books first though. And you won't find anywhere near every book published on those sites.

Others on the forum might give you pointers to other places. But I am afraid I don't know how I can help further unless I know what you are hoping to achieve/find out.

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
Have you asked your friendly neighborhood librarian?

Your library might have free-for-you access to a paid database with the info you seek.

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Someone has to write such a synopsis, though. If the author or publisher doesn't have one that fits what you need, it could be next to impossible finding it in any database.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Thanks for commenting.

We were trying to avoid wikipedia, since it's not as reliable as other sources might be, but we may have to look there for a basic starting point.

I'm not sure what the exact criteria we'll be looking for in the books just yet, but that's part of the reason we were hoping to find the synopses. Of course, we'd have to do research on which books to look up, but we were hoping that a synopses would help narrow down the search.

As for someone having to write the synopsis first... yeah, that's what I was worried would make it hard to find them. That's why I thought I'd see if there were any sites that routinely listed them.

Hadn't thought about asking a librarian, though. I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.