PDA

View Full Version : Weird Food

Jenny
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty non-adventurous, so my weird food - which I just cooked and ate today, hence the topic being on my mind - is whitebait. Deep fried, whole, tiny fish. I couldn't bring myself to eat the heads - they had eyes (shudder). The surprise was they tasted good, like fresh sardines but nicer.

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 09:04 AM
Isn't "bait" something you feed to other fish?

I mean, I fairly adventurous when it comes to foods, but when something is called "bait" I tend to steer clear. Just like I steer clear of food labeled, bugs or moldy or salmonella.

Jenny
03-17-2006, 09:28 AM
Yep, that's what I thought, but hey, the fish shop was selling it! (I asked about the whole how to cook it thing). I figure eating the "bait" cuts out all that waiting around for another fish to get hungry and snap the fly (or whatever it is fisherfolk use).

Besides, think of yummy camembert (is that the spelling?) and the fuzzy white mold. From what I understand pretty much all cheese involves cow gut enzymes - now that's disgusting.

poetinahat
03-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Mmm... whitebait! Had it at a tapas bar here in Sydney for the first time, and I had the same misgivings about heads 'n' such.

They were wonderful.

I did have a little difficulty with a whole octopus in Boston -- its head was nearly as big as mine. All I could do was eat four of the legs (over a foot long each), and I was done for.

September skies
03-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Fish heads, fish heads,
roly poly fish heads
fish heads, fish heads
eat them up - yum

In the morning, laughing happy fish heads
In the evening, floating in the soup

...Roly poly fish heads are never seen
drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants
with Oriental women

Lantern Jack
03-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I've eaten yak penis!

Is that weird enough for you?

WerenCole
03-17-2006, 12:15 PM
If you look at it from a different angle. . . everything is bait. Crab meat is bait for lobsters. . . people love crab. When you are eating lobster, you are also eating crab.

The whitebait that you had today is not so different from a sardine, and it can be a tasty treat. Lightly fried with a touch of salt crust and a small shot of licorice liquor. . . try it, I assure you a pleasureable experience.

WC-
Still the personal chef for the AW Water Cooler.

SC Harrison
03-17-2006, 04:47 PM
I've eaten yak penis!

Wasn't he the guy that left a big mess after shaving?

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Hmm. OK. Whitebait, sardines... *shrugs*

I don't know if it's weird but I've had frog, alligator, ostrich, oh, and brains. I love to eat brains. mngmngmngmng (that's my imitation of a zombie mumbling)

jenngreenleaf
03-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Okay, I'm reading through this whole thread thinking, "Grossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!" I guess I'm really not adventurous at all. I can't think of anything werid that I've eaten . . . ick. :scared:

Stew21
03-17-2006, 05:27 PM
I've had whitefish, and octopus, (though not a whole one), I'm a big sushi fan...love sushi, but growing up with a dad who hunts we have eaten quail, rabbit, squirrel, venison, pheasant, frog legs, etc. which aren't entirely unusual but they are "different" for some people.
And had an uncle who liked to have us eat things and THEN tell us what it was...I don't want to horrify anyone (or bring back the bad memories), so I will keep those to myself.

Maryn
03-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Hmm... escargot, frog legs, buffalo, javalina, rabbit, oxtail, calamari. And some goose that wasn't quite right.

It's all just dead muscle and organs. Either you eat 'em, or you don't. I do.

PattiTheWicked
03-17-2006, 06:20 PM
A meal being weird all depends on where you sit in the food chain.

Lantern Jack
03-17-2006, 10:42 PM
Oh, and Shadow Ferret! It's not "bestiality" if it's been hacked off and boiled till it's tender.

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 10:52 PM
:)

That's ok. Bestiality is never having to say you're sorry.

Lantern Jack
03-17-2006, 10:54 PM
:)

That's ok. Bestiality is never having to say you're sorry.

Oh, I don't regret that, merely the violent kidney infection that followed:)

maestrowork
03-17-2006, 11:31 PM
Do live baby rats dipped in wine and vinegar sauce count as weird?

(and yes, it's a real menu item)

AdamH
03-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Never had the pleasure of yak's penis...um...nevermind...

But I have had the chance to munch on shark, alligator, frog's legs, and calamari. I think that's the weirdest.

Oh, wait, also "Peanut Butter and Jam Milk". My roommate and I (back in my university days) were bored one night and decided it would be fun to use our new blender to make it because we like peanut butter, we like jam, and milk is good. Turned not to be that good of an idea. Sort of ruined the blender.

CaroGirl
03-18-2006, 12:38 AM
Moose Balls! yummy.

These are not, in fact, the testicles of a moose, but are ground moose meat formed into balls and cooked in a sauce. What the sauce was made from, I'm not so sure.

Shadow_Ferret
03-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Oh, oh! Weirdest thing I ever had was when I was up in the U.P. (that's Upper Peninsula of Michigan for the rest of you) and one of the Yoopers had a party for their kid's graduation from high school, pot luck, and everyone brought a dish to pass. I tried a salad made of spam and velveeta. Now THAT'S being adventurous.

(And I left off my list things like calamari, octopus, escargot, rabbit cuz I thought those were rather common)

Oh, elk sausage

PattiTheWicked
03-18-2006, 01:26 AM
I made antelope salami last fall, all by myself. Does that count for anything?

It actually tasted like roast beef, even though it looked like a giant 15" poop.

Annabella
03-18-2006, 01:30 AM
The weirdest thing I've eaten was alligator. But that's not really all that weird. I'm pretty tame in my food choices.

Haggis
03-18-2006, 01:30 AM
Anyone tried lutefisk? I'm dying to try some. Anyone know where I can find any? Any food made with lye can't be all that bad.

Shadow_Ferret
03-18-2006, 01:55 AM
That's a Minnesota dish. Ask Celia. ;)

madderblue
03-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Wee little baby octopi no bigger that your pinky boiled so that their arms (legs?) are frozen in twisted agony, and arranged on the plate just so. (sniff).

And raw squid guts...now that just stank.

arrowqueen
03-18-2006, 02:59 AM
You'd just love stargazey pie then, jenny.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=stargazeypie

Jenny
03-18-2006, 04:11 AM
Ok, the picture of stargazey pie was not a great way to start the morning - at least I made no attempt to pretty up the whitebait.

Do you get the impression we're carnivores around here? alligator, elk, yak, whatever

PattiTheWicked
03-18-2006, 04:47 AM
As I've gotten older, I find that I enjoy being carnivorous a lot more than I did in years past. A decade ago, I could go for months without eating red meat, and now I eat it probably two to three times a week. Part of this is because my husband hunts, and freshly killed meat tastes way better than meat that's been packed in plastic and frozen by the people at Krogers.

I'd love to be able to hunt and kill all my own food, but we're a bit short on tuna here in Ohio.

Unique
03-18-2006, 04:52 AM
You'd just love stargazey pie then, jenny.

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipes_result.asp?name=stargazeypie

Pilchard?

I thought Pilchard was Bob the Builder's cat. Is that a cat/fish pie?
and what - in - the - world are those 'horns'?

oswann
03-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Humble Pie. Don't eat it often and it usually give me indigestion.

Os.

arrowqueen
03-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Pilchards are wee sardiney fish, Unique. Those 'horns' are their heads sticking out of the pastry and gazing at the sky. Hence 'stargazey pie.'

(I wouldn't bloody eat it, either!)

LightShadow
03-19-2006, 02:30 AM
My mother-in-law cooks a mean batch of bull's testicles. Soft, juicy, and one dish I have passed on a number of times. Oh, it's my sister-in-laws that claim it's a mean batch. Yeah, it looks mean. Can you say: regurgitate?

maestrowork
03-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Pig's brain is nasty, especially how the Chinese prepare it. Yuck.

Intestines/tripes, on the other hand, are very tasty.

LightShadow
03-19-2006, 03:19 AM
I have a lot of family in Arkansas, and they swear by chitlins (hog guts) but I never saw the appeal.

stace001
03-19-2006, 09:40 AM
I've eaten yak penis!

Jack, that would have to be the grossest thing I've ever heard. Ick!!!!:eek:

The weirdest thing I've ever eaten is my sister's cooking. She can't cook to save her life and I can never tell exactly what it is I'm putting in my mouth. Thank God she has a dog. He loves me coming to dinner because I feed him under the table. :D

blisswriter
03-25-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a lot of family in Arkansas, and they swear by chitlins (hog guts) but I never saw the appeal.

Yeah, we eat those in tha hood too. I love 'em :Dbut haven't had them in years.

They stink to high heaven when they're being cooked and woe is the person who "eats behind" someone who doesn't know how to clean those thangs. :cry:

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2006, 08:57 PM
We tried some hominey last night. That's pretty weird.

PattiTheWicked
03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
My daughter thinks some of my food combinations are weird. I love spreading creamy peanut butter on a nice chunk of cheddar cheese. Mmmm.

I did finally convince her that butter'n'coconut on toast is nice too.

Jcomp
03-27-2006, 09:07 PM
I used to eat crawdads, which in hindsight is kinda weird given their insect-like appearance, and my complete loathing for insects & anything sharing their appearance.

NeuroFizz
03-27-2006, 09:18 PM
Rattlesnake, barbecued. A blacktail and a diamondback to be exact.

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
My daughter thinks some of my food combinations are weird. I love spreading creamy peanut butter on a nice chunk of cheddar cheese. Mmmm.

I love peanut butter and cheddar sandwiches.

PattiTheWicked
03-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I love peanut butter and cheddar sandwiches.

At last! I've found you!!

You know, if you really want to have something tasty, add a well cooked strip of bacon to it.

My arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

pconsidine
03-27-2006, 10:36 PM
My mother's family is from Naples and if there's one thing I've learned about real Neopolitans (other than that they don't really have different flavored stripes) is that they will eat just about anything that comes from the ocean. My wife and I are also the only people I know who will cook something we have no intention of eating simply for the experience of making it. Put those two things together, and you get this:

http://www.babbonyc.com/in-baccala.html

The truly nasty part of baccala is the soaking process. For 2 days, the house smells like a medieval morgue while the fish rehydrates itself. And that's only topped by the fact that it's most often served cold for special occasions. Truly revolting.

(I did eat it once, but that was before I was married, when I was still auditioining for my future in-laws. Never touched it since.)

Shadow_Ferret
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
At last! I've found you!!

Yay! Let's run off together and eat peanut butter cheddar bacon sandwiches to our hearts' content.

Billytwice
03-28-2006, 04:02 AM
I've sampled fresh Haggis shot on the twelfth of August (first day of the season) but wasn't too impressed.

It should have been left to hang for at least a week to tenderise the meat. Some say it should be hanged by one of its back legs till the leg pulls away from the carcass, but I think by then it's a little too gamey.

I like the way the Scots tan the skins and make bagpipes out of them. Isn't it wonderful how an expert bagpipe player can make sounds like a haggis in rut?

Carole
03-28-2006, 04:16 AM
I think the most adventurous thing I have eaten and enjoyed was wild boar. It was cooked on a spit for hours. Awesome!

TrickyFiction
03-28-2006, 04:21 AM
I can't stand eating something if it appears to be looking at me.

Hmmm... Octopus and raw squid are probably the weirdest things I've ever eaten. I didn't care for either at all. They were much too rubbery. :P

Ocha
03-28-2006, 07:53 AM
I think an entire childhood of those formed sugar sweets has desensitized me to food with eyes. If it does, I can just pretend it's talking with me before I eat it. ::shrug::

And- do chocolate covered grasshoppers count as strange? Because those are tasty. As is the concoction when you mix honey, cinnimon, and as many random grasses and cabbages as you can in a blender, although I only could manage about a shotglass of that before the texture just about killed me.

writerterri
03-28-2006, 07:56 AM
I eat weird food every time my husband cooks.

Shadow_Ferret
03-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I
Hmmm... Octopus and raw squid are probably the weirdest things I've ever eaten. I didn't care for either at all. They were much too rubbery. :P

If it was rubbery, it was cooked wrong.

Haggis
03-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I've sampled fresh Haggis shot on the twelfth of August (first day of the season) but wasn't too impressed.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteJaw.gif