Weird Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty non-adventurous, so my weird food - which I just cooked and ate today, hence the topic being on my mind - is whitebait. Deep fried, whole, tiny fish. I couldn't bring myself to eat the heads - they had eyes (shudder). The surprise was they tasted good, like fresh sardines but nicer.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Isn't "bait" something you feed to other fish?

I mean, I fairly adventurous when it comes to foods, but when something is called "bait" I tend to steer clear. Just like I steer clear of food labeled, bugs or moldy or salmonella.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I thought, but hey, the fish shop was selling it! (I asked about the whole how to cook it thing). I figure eating the "bait" cuts out all that waiting around for another fish to get hungry and snap the fly (or whatever it is fisherfolk use).

Besides, think of yummy camembert (is that the spelling?) and the fuzzy white mold. From what I understand pretty much all cheese involves cow gut enzymes - now that's disgusting.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mmm... whitebait! Had it at a tapas bar here in Sydney for the first time, and I had the same misgivings about heads 'n' such.

They were wonderful.

I did have a little difficulty with a whole octopus in Boston -- its head was nearly as big as mine. All I could do was eat four of the legs (over a foot long each), and I was done for.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
I've eaten yak penis!

Is that weird enough for you?

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
If you look at it from a different angle. . . everything is bait. Crab meat is bait for lobsters. . . people love crab. When you are eating lobster, you are also eating crab.

The whitebait that you had today is not so different from a sardine, and it can be a tasty treat. Lightly fried with a touch of salt crust and a small shot of licorice liquor. . . try it, I assure you a pleasureable experience.

WC-
Still the personal chef for the AW Water Cooler.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
Okay, I'm reading through this whole thread thinking, "Grossssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!" I guess I'm really not adventurous at all. I can't think of anything werid that I've eaten . . . ick. :scared:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've had whitefish, and octopus, (though not a whole one), I'm a big sushi fan...love sushi, but growing up with a dad who hunts we have eaten quail, rabbit, squirrel, venison, pheasant, frog legs, etc. which aren't entirely unusual but they are "different" for some people.
And had an uncle who liked to have us eat things and THEN tell us what it was...I don't want to horrify anyone (or bring back the bad memories), so I will keep those to myself.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... escargot, frog legs, buffalo, javalina, rabbit, oxtail, calamari. And some goose that wasn't quite right.

It's all just dead muscle and organs. Either you eat 'em, or you don't. I do.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and Shadow Ferret! It's not "bestiality" if it's been hacked off and boiled till it's tender.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
:)

That's ok. Bestiality is never having to say you're sorry.

Oh, I don't regret that, merely the violent kidney infection that followed:)

AdamH

Pumped Up Kicks
Registered
Reaction score
Never had the pleasure of yak's penis...um...nevermind...

But I have had the chance to munch on shark, alligator, frog's legs, and calamari. I think that's the weirdest.

Oh, wait, also "Peanut Butter and Jam Milk". My roommate and I (back in my university days) were bored one night and decided it would be fun to use our new blender to make it because we like peanut butter, we like jam, and milk is good. Turned not to be that good of an idea. Sort of ruined the blender.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Moose Balls! yummy.

These are not, in fact, the testicles of a moose, but are ground moose meat formed into balls and cooked in a sauce. What the sauce was made from, I'm not so sure.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Oh, oh! Weirdest thing I ever had was when I was up in the U.P. (that's Upper Peninsula of Michigan for the rest of you) and one of the Yoopers had a party for their kid's graduation from high school, pot luck, and everyone brought a dish to pass. I tried a salad made of spam and velveeta. Now THAT'S being adventurous.

(And I left off my list things like calamari, octopus, escargot, rabbit cuz I thought those were rather common)

Oh, elk sausage

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I made antelope salami last fall, all by myself. Does that count for anything?

It actually tasted like roast beef, even though it looked like a giant 15" poop.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone tried lutefisk? I'm dying to try some. Anyone know where I can find any? Any food made with lye can't be all that bad.

madderblue

Beagle Lips.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thersamatsuura.com
Wee little baby octopi no bigger that your pinky boiled so that their arms (legs?) are frozen in twisted agony, and arranged on the plate just so. (sniff).

And raw squid guts...now that just stank.

Status
Not open for further replies.