Does this software exist?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Not sure if what I'm about to ask makes any sense... but I'll ask anyway.

Is there software that can tell you the similarity between two documents? As in, it could tell you something like 35% of sentences are the same between the documents. Or something. I don't quite know how this hypothetical program works.

Anyway it just occurred to me it would be interesting to compare a first draft to a final draft to see how many (if any) sentences made it through.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
If you use M$ Word or Corel Wordperfect, they both offer a compare document feature.

so provided you still have the original draft before you started making changes, you can just plug them both into it for it to see what the differences are...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like plagiarism-detection software is what you're after.

I don't know if you can find a program that will do exactly what you want it to, but the technology exists (if not exactly in the form you want.)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you use M$ Word or Corel Wordperfect, they both offer a compare document feature.

so provided you still have the original draft before you started making changes, you can just plug them both into it for it to see what the differences are...

Yeah, this is probably the way to go.

There are other ways of doing it - here's an article. Basically you are DIFFing the two files, and different programs will display the output in different ways.