PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
I found an allegedly Haitian proverb that I *really* want to use in my book:

“Tout moun fet pou soufri, tout moun fet pou mouri” which apparently means “Everyone is born to suffer, everyone is born to die”

Google only retruns the whole phrase on a couple of sites about Vodou - does anyone happen to know if this really *is* a Haitian proverb, and whether it actually translates exactly like that?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Have you searched for the English version? There aren't many use for Haitian Creole except Vodou. And try searching without quotation marks.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
There aren't many use for Haitian Creole except Vodou.

And it's an official language of Haiti.

Because of that, it's included as a language in Google Translate, which gives the English version as "Everyone must suffer, everyone must die"

It might be useful to do a search on Haitian proverbs, just in case there's a slightly different version -- or a proverb that would be a good substitute.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And it's an official language of Haiti.

Because of that, it's included as a language in Google Translate, which gives the English version as "Everyone must suffer, everyone must die"

I never thought of that, thanks Helix!

It might be useful to do a search on Haitian proverbs, just in case there's a slightly different version -- or a proverb that would be a good substitute.
This one fits perfectly what I want the guy to be saying so as long as it means what it's supposed to, I think I'm good.

wendymarlowe

writer, mother, geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
My creole is rusty, but it's essentially simplified phonetic French - "toute monde fait pour souffrir; toute monde fait pour mourir" would be "everyone is made to suffer; everyone is made to die." The Haitian creole seems like a logical kreyole variant.

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm Haitian. I t sounds like it could be one. The language is Creole or Haitian Patwa (or Patois). The translation is correct. The authenticity, however, not really sure. I can ask around for you, if you like. I'll copy and email to a friend who is definitely more into the culture, but it definitely sounds like a Haitian sentiment. I'm sure Russians have a similar saying. Countries with people who have gone through a lot of rough times have similar sayings. :>)

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
As far as Creole not having much use except in Voodoo. Firstly, I have a vey large family. No one I know practices voodoo. I think people tend to play this up more than it actually is. That would almost be like saying Cuban dialects are mostly used for santeria.

It's been a few years since I was in Haiti (the year after the earthquake). However, Creole is what most of the common (non rich or educated) people speak. It's also a lot easier for most NGO workers to learn Creole than French. My mom spoke French and Creole. My dad French, Creole, and some Spanish. My cousins in Haiti speak all of the above, plus one or two others, but they speak Creole when shopping and at markets, to the maids, etc.

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
By the way, I've lived in the states since I was 5. I don't speak French. I speak Creole to my friends and family. Only a few of my cousins in the states speak French.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'm Haitian. I t sounds like it could be one. The language is Creole or Haitian Patwa (or Patois). The translation is correct. The authenticity, however, not really sure. I can ask around for you, if you like. I'll copy and email to a friend who is definitely more into the culture, but it definitely sounds like a Haitian sentiment.

That would be fantastic, many thanks archangel!

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
I 'm still waiting to hear from my friend, but I asked the who helps me with my mom. She as never heard of the saying, but that's just the two of us.

archangel

Registered
Reaction score
Pete,

I found out my friend is out on a mission trip. Not sure when she'll be back in the US.