Will self-publishing have 50% market share in romance ebook sales in 2-4 years?

Will self-publishing have 50% market share in romance ebook sales in 2-4 years?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamNeymars

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
At the current time, about half of the hourly top 100 selling romance ebook on Kindle are self-published.

With more and more romance authors going into self-publishing, one day in the near future (2-4 years), could self-publishing have 50% market share in romance ebook sales?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At the current time, about half of the daily top 100 selling romance ebook on Kindle are self-published.

With more and more romance authors going into self-publishing, one day in the near future (2-4 years), could self-publishing have 50% market share in romance ebook sales?

They are? What numbers are you talking about? Only romance?

JustSarah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
about.me
I have no opinion on the issue. I'm want to wait to see what happens.

AdamNeymars

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
They are? What numbers are you talking about? Only romance?

Edward Robertson did an hourly snapshot in February and one in April for the top 100 kindle romance ebook sales. He found the percentage was 49% and 59% respectively for self-publishing in the top 100 sellers in romance on Kindle.

So about half of the hourly kindle top 100 romance ebooks is self-published. Though this will fluctuate a bit.

Many trade romance authors are looking to go hybrid, which could push self-publishing market share up.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Let's me find the links for you.
Here and here.

About half of the hourly kindle top 100 romance ebook is self-published.

Many trade romance authors are looking to go hybrid, which could push self-publishing market share up.

You said more and more romance authors are going into self publishing.

Links saying a lot of the romance e-books sold are self-published doesn't mean that. It doesn't mean close to that.

There are several ways to interpret what you said, which is why I asked how you were defining things and what numbers, but just saying a bunch of ebooks are self-published isn't really one of them.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I'm honestly confused by the point of the question. (I don't mean that snarkily.)

I think it's fairly well-known that self-publishing has a good market share in romance now; and discussing what the actual market share is might be interesting, if you have some reliable numbers about that. But what's the point of asking about a random percentage? I could post and say, "Will 30 percent of published SFF be urban fantasy in 2-4 years?" and I think most people wouldn't really have any basis for knowing (and probably wouldn't care to guess, when such a random percentage is thrown out). I wouldn't have any idea either (or have any idea what the point of guessing would be), and I'm immersed in the SFF field. (Also, what would this even mean? Titles sold? Titles published? Total revenue?)

Whereas, if I posted an article about how 30 percent of SFF titles published last year were urban fantasy, that would be interesting to people as a market trend. Yeah? (I'm pulling this number out of the air, btw.)

I'm just . . . confused, I guess, as to what you're looking for. I read articles on self-publishing every day (though not romance-specific, as I'm not a romance author), and I know that there are many SPed romance authors, but I don't know what the exact market share is now -- I don't even think we have that information, and it's certainly not something I'd know off the top of my head -- let alone how market share trends tend to go. If I were going to examine such a question I'd probably have to do an in-depth economics study of it (assuming the information is available), which is something I've been known to do for fun and is the sort of thing I'd do for a blog series, but not just to answer a poll question. So . . . what are you looking for? Wild guesses? For us to google and see what numbers other people are saying? I'm just . . . not sure.

Also, a couple more points: 1) "market share" can refer either to dollar market share or unit market share and it's not clear which you mean (and if unit share, are we to count free titles downloaded through retailers?), 2) as for the numbers you're quoting, remember that the Amazon Kindle bestsellers are nowhere near the entire marketplace (nor even anywhere near the entire Amazon marketplace, which is itself only a portion of the total market) -- and what are we defining "the market" as, anyway? The U.S. market specifically? Do we count shares of foreign and sub-rights as book-related revenue here, or are we strictly looking at book sales? (Is there a standard meaning out of context when it comes to the book market? I honestly don't know, and am suddenly curious.)

Finally, I want to make a pedantic mathematical note that knowing the market share tells us very little about how SPed authors are doing versus how trade published authors are doing, because we don't know how many authors make up that market share. If a million authors are in category A and 2 authors are in category B and categories A and B split the market share fifty-fifty, you can bet I want to be in the second category. ;) Also, since revenue streams and how profit is calculated differ for the two groups in this case, that would have to be taken into account if we were looking at which type of author was doing better as opposed to which type of publishing currently had market dominance, as one doesn't follow from the other. That doesn't mean market share (of either type) isn't interesting, of course, but I like talking about what statistics do and don't say. :)

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Let's me find the links for you.
Here and here.

About half of the hourly kindle top 100 romance ebook is self-published.

Those aren't stats. Some guy is just looking at the top books on Amazon isn't a study; it's just some guy reporting his finding.

"Market share" isn't how many books are on the market, but what percentage of units sold and revenue generated.
Sure, Amazon might have a lot of self-published titles on their site, but that's because: 1) It's free 2) It's easy as shit 3) The books are never taken down. Doesn't mean those books are selling well, nor selling at all--even if they're at the top of the charts.
Looking at the top 100 books on Amazon probably includes the free ebooks and--for whatever reason--books that had suddenly sparked to the top; it's not a realistic representation of the entire book market.

I just went through the top selling romance books on Amazon. Wanna know my findings? 8/100 are self-published = 8% of the top 100 romance books on Amazon. And, yes, I did go through all of them to check who the publisher was.

Please, don't throw around numbers without a study to back it up.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
Looking at the top 100 books on Amazon probably includes [the free ebooks and-

Paid and free books are on different lists.

I just went through the top selling romance books on Amazon. Wanna know my findings? 8/100 are self-published = 8% of the top 100 romance books on Amazon. And, yes, I did go through all of them to check who the publisher was.

You're in the wrong section. You need to be in the kindle ebook lists.

ETA2: These are the Top 100 Kindle books in romance. Note the paid and free books on different tabs.

ETA: The Kindle Sales Calculator gives a very ballpark figure of how many books sell according to their rank, and that needs to be the ebook rank. And yes, books that spend a lot of time in the Kindle Romance Top 100 sell a lot of copies.

Last edited:

AdamNeymars

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score

Weirdmage

Registered
Reaction score
Firstly, there seems to be some confusion here in that those that want the % of self-published Romance books to be high only uses the Kindle numbers. Which is kind of hopeless, because Romance books are also printed on paper. WillSauger's figure of 8% covers paper books too.
You can't just ignore large parts of the market to get a figure you like. And when it comes to Romance, I thought that was a genre that sold quite a bit of books at supermarkets. That is a figure we also need; What is the % of Romance novels sold offline? Also; What is Amazon's share of the online Romance market?
You also have to take into account that some e-books are only available on Amazon while others are available at multiple retailers.

Another thing that I would like to add here is that Amazon's Kindle lists (, and by extension all of their sales lists,) have one in-built flaw. They do not take into account all the people outside the US that have to buy kindle edition books at amazon.com. For e-books amazon.com is a global retailer, but for paper it is predominantly a US one. Until Amazon decides to make their full sales figures available any discussion about them will be a discussion without any real facts in them.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Firstly, there seems to be some confusion here in that those that want the % of self-published Romance books to be high only uses the Kindle numbers. Which is kind of hopeless, because Romance books are also printed on paper. WillSauger's figure of 8% covers paper books too.

In fairness, the subject of this thread specifies 'e-books.' Since the question is about e-books, print doesn't really factor in to answering the question.

ETA: As far as the question goes, who knows? Maybe readers will get tired of slogging through slush and self-e-publishing will shrink? Maybe better mechanisms will be in place to pre-slog through slush so that the self-e-published cream rises more easily to the top and the voraciousness of romance readers means that self-e-published romances will be 75%, 80%, 90%? Maybe ISIS will win World War III, take over the world, and abolish trade publishing, and all publishing will go underground and be self-published? How the hell is anyone supposed to know what will happen in two to four years?

Last edited:

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Why does it seem to me that there's a hidden agenda here?
Only Amazon, only e-books, only self-published.

Yeah, that's it. Too many times before, in my experience, such a selective reference has been a prelude to trying to sell me something.

I have no knowledge that this is what's happening. I've just seen it too often to care when I see it.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to close this one before it has a chance to get contentious. I agree, the poll is flawed and the question is nearly meaningless.

If you have some good reasons for wanting to continue this particular discussion, PM us and we'll take it all into consideration.

Questions about percentages, sales, etc. are not useful to explore without clear, firm, and well-defined data. Projections into the future based on anecdotal information are only interesting if people want to discuss how they would like the future to unfold. If that's the topic, it should be stated clearly as such, not disguised as some kind of statistical projection.

It's pointless to argue what will or will not happen, because as has been pointed out, there are far too many variables and unknowns to take into account. No prediction can be accurate.

Peace out.

Status
Not open for further replies.