Weird Situation

GalaxyRush

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to query, and I have sort of a weird situation here. I parted ways with my agent a little while ago. Before that happened, she subbed my book to four editors. It got some nice comments back, but there were a few problems with it, so nobody offered.

After I parted ways with my agent I scrapped the book, but I loved the characters and the first two chapters so much that I reused them. Basically it starts the same way, the first two chapters are the same. The characters are the same but 90% of it is a totally different book.

This explanation is too long for a query letter, do I just wait to explain this when someone requests the manuscript? I want to be honest about this, and I also want to look professional, but it's not a situation I've dealt with before.

Comments? Suggestions?

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Tell the agent what you've told us. That the book was originally sent to 4 publishers, and who those publishers were, and that it's had such a major re-write that it's become a different book altogether. If the agent likes the book, I don't think that would deter them. I would make sure to explain the situation before signing an agreement.