Wild Dogs

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
What happens if a pack of dogs hunt down a rabbit. A rabbit isn't big enough for the entire pack, say six. Who eats the rabbit? The leader only or the one who actually does the catching? What do the dogs do while said dog is eating? Do they just look on? Or do they go on the hunt for more prey? Or do they fight each other for the rabbit?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Look into canine pack behavior. You can start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_behavior

Quick answer: If the alpha is on the scene, he/she eats first. The other pack members either typically wait their turn (in order of internal pack status), or pursue other potential prey. Fights for status happen relatively often and the relationship dynamic is subject to change.

What does your story need?

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, ironmikezero.

My story doesn't need a specific outcome. Just one that is accurate, and I'll develop the scene around it. I'll check out the link. And thanks for the Google search term. The terms I used didn't bring up results I wanted.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Im no expert, but yeah I would assume that the alpha would just move in and take the kill, and the others would sit around waiting for scraps. Maybe one of them would tempt fate and try to steal a scrap away from the alpha, only to be snapped at for his troubles.

Koschei

eternally screaming
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is useful as it might not translate to wild dogs but, if your domestic dog comes to you with a rabbit, you know they didn't catch it. Rather, they found it and it was already dead. If you take your dog for a walk and they catch a rabbit, however, you'll lose them briefly as they hide away and keep it for themself. This is a moot point with my dog as he couldn't catch a cold.

Vaguely Piratical

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is useful as it might not translate to wild dogs but, if your domestic dog comes to you with a rabbit, you know they didn't catch it. Rather, they found it and it was already dead. If you take your dog for a walk and they catch a rabbit, however, you'll lose them briefly as they hide away and keep it for themself. This is a moot point with my dog as he couldn't catch a cold.

Not always true. I've seen my terrier run down the rabbits and squirrels she's so very convinced I want. Then come parading back to proudly drop them at my (or my kids') feet.