Not open for further replies.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Hi all,

Has anyone tried or succeeding in placing a story, either romance or mystery in Woman's World? I tried several times a few years ago, and give up, but got the latest issue today to read the stories. Well, they were...not good. I know it's darn hard to write a story that short, but for the money, I was surprised at the poor quality. I'm not sure I want to try again.

Thanks,

Carlene
www.crdater.com

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a romance published by Woman's World (after five or six tries). This was about two years ago, and I've been trying to do it again ever since. They pay very well, so I felt it was worth it to keep trying.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Carlene said:
Hi all,

Has anyone tried or succeeding in placing a story, either romance or mystery in Woman's World? I tried several times a few years ago, and give up, but got the latest issue today to read the stories. Well, they were...not good. I know it's darn hard to write a story that short, but for the money, I was surprised at the poor quality. I'm not sure I want to try again.

Thanks,

Carlene
www.crdater.com

I find the stories in Woman's World to be pretty well written, and I don't think I've read one I didn't like, but if you think they lack quality, that seems to be an excellent reason to keep trying.

I haven't tried writing one for them, but I have a friend who has sold to them.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
It's interesting how one person will see something published and think it's great, and another will think "Huh? How did that get pubbed?"

Usually Woman's World does publish very good stories. (My opinion!) Just keep trying, don't give up. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw; they could be looking for a short story like what you sent, and bingo, they accept it.

Also, make sure you're within their word count.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Thanks Stormie, will do. I wish they still had their humor column! I published a humerous essay in WW in the late '80's when I was just starting out. It was 600 words and they paid me $300! I'll never forget it because the edtior called me from NYC and told me they were publishing my piece. I amost died of happiness and thought, "Now I'm a real writer!" I've been buying the magazine every week and reading the stories - I think the best way to get a feel for them. I'll let you all know when they buy one! How that for confidence!

Carlene
www.crdater.com

awaitingthemuse

Registered
Reaction score
I would love to get published there. The pay is fantastic. I have short story I'm going to be sending by the end of this week.

McGill

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Woman's World Fiction

Haven't try Woman's World for a year or so, but I would love to get a mystery story published there. Does anyone know if the fiction editor is a man or a woman? I used to think it was a woman , because of the name, but I used to get notes scribbled on the bottom of my stories, and the hand writing looked like a man's. By the way, do they still pay $500 for a mini mystery?

awaitingthemuse

Registered
Reaction score
I think the editor is a woman, but my friend now gets personalised rejections from a guy named Jimmy.

JoyceW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - I am new here and was interested in this thread. I have a story that my teacher underlined "this will sell" and I am sending it to Woman's World this week. The trouble I am having is that I don't lke the title, sigh. Will think a day or two -no more! - then send it out reguardless of whether I like the title or not.
I am 52 and have many poems published, sold one short story so far and am working really hard on a novel. Good to be here with writing writer's!
Joyce

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you, Joyce.

If you want to start a fresh thread, we'd be glad to brainstorm with you for a title if you'll tell us what the story's about.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
Rather than start a new Womans World thread, I'll post my incredibly lame question here.

After an incredibly hellacious experience at a bar last night (ugh don't even ask) I now have a gem of a romantic fiction short story that I'd LOVE to submit to Womans World.

I read all the editoral "about us" information and have an address, and a couple of names but do I just sumbit my romantic fiction piece to them or send a query letter or what, and snail mail or email? They do list an email addy for questions, and I'll probably email them in the morning, but I figured maybe somebody here would have an answer, too.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Last time I sent them a fiction piece was almost a year ago, and I sent the whole thing with a short cover letter by snail mail. Good luck with placing your story! (Those are the best kind, the ones that come from an interesting experience.)

**This is in response to majikilmoon's question.**

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
stormie said:
Last time I sent them a fiction piece was almost a year ago, and I sent the whole thing with a short cover letter by snail mail. Good luck with placing your story! (Those are the best kind, the ones that come from an interesting experience.)

**This is in response to majikilmoon's question.**

Thanks Stormie...hopefully something will come of it other than a drunken lout trying to grope me in a bar lol

in answer to my own question about submitting to womans world

WOMAN'S WORLD
FICTION GUIDELINES

Romance guidelines:

We buy contemporary romances of 1,100 words. Stories must revolve around a compelling, true-to-life relationship dilemma; may feature either a female or male protagonist; and may be written in either the first or third person. Characters may be married, single, divorced or widowed; should be down-to-earth (no yuppies or jet-setters); and their dilemma should be poignantly or humorously conveyed. Please think carefully about a story's setting, mood and plot, and tell the story with interesting action and dialogue. (Every sentence, paragraph, and scene of the story should deliver more information about your characters and their situation and/or briskly advance the storyline).

We are not interested in stories involving life-or-death matters, nor are we interested in fluffy, flyaway-style romance. When we say romance, what we really mean is relationship--whether it's just beginning or is about to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The emphasis in our stories is on real life-which is why we do not buy science fiction, fantasy or historical romance.

We pay $1,000 per romance and retain First North American Serial Rights for six months after publication.

Mini mystery guidelines:

We purchase short "solve-it-yourself" mysteries of 1,000 words--a count that includes the narrative and the solution. Stories should be cleverly plotted, entertaining cliffhangers that end with a challange to the reader to figure out whodunnit or howdunnit. The solution to the mystery is provided in a separate box.

Robbery, burglary, fraud and murder are acceptable subjects, but spare the readers any gory details or excessive violence, please! We are also not interested in ghost stories, science fiction or fantasy.

We pay $500 per mystery and retain First North American Serial Rights for six months after publication.

IMPORTANT NOTES!

Manuscripts should be double-spaced in legible size type.

Where to send manuscripts: Fiction Editor, Woman's World, 270 Sylvan Ave., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632. Indicate Mini Mystery or Romance on the envelope.

How to send manuscripts: (1) You must include a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope to receive a reply. Manuscripts not accompanied by a SASE will be discarded. Note: A #10 SASE is necessary not just for a response, but for your contract if we purchase your story.
(2) Please DO NOT fax or e-mail manuscripts--because such submissions do not include SASEs, we have no means of responding to your submission.

Get to know us: Please familiarize yourself thoroughly with our romances and mini mysteries before submitting your work.

Be patient: Because we receive a tremendous volume of manuscripts, our turnaround time may range from one to six months. If you still have not heard from us after that time, feel free to re-submit your manuscript. Please do not call or write us to inquire about a manuscript's status.

Last edited:

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Just curious - where did you get the guidelines? Only asking because the ones I read said short romantic fiction of 1400 words. I know they pay attention to those pesky details! Have you read one recently? I try to get read as many as possible before submitting and I can't remember any that involved bars or liquor.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Carlene

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
Carlene said:
Just curious - where did you get the guidelines? Only asking because the ones I read said short romantic fiction of 1400 words. I know they pay attention to those pesky details! Have you read one recently? I try to get read as many as possible before submitting and I can't remember any that involved bars or liquor.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Carlene

this is an email directly from womans's world in response to an email I sent them asking about their submission process. And as far as never having seen a story that involves bars or liquor, it's all in how you spin it. Think about General Hospital and the whole Luke/Laura rape - a most heinous subject, yet they became the soaps uber couple for decades.

Last edited:

JoyceW

Registered
Reaction score
I also heard and read under the gyuidelines that the word count was 1400. Hope this is true because I just mailed on in at 1398 words!
Joyce

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Joyce! Mine should be ready end of this week first of next week.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Hi all,

Just to be sure, I went to the horses mouth and wrote the editor for guidelines. They want 1100 words (kind of a weird lenght) for romance, 1000 for mystery.

Carlene

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
yeah, that's what I did and why I posted the email from them originally

JoyceW

Registered
Reaction score
Well, if 1100 is the word count - maybe they will like mine enough to ask me to edit some more out - I can dream right? Smile. It's called "Counter Solutions". I also sent out a series of five poems based on epigraphs from Edna St Vincent Millay to the American Poetry Review. I figure I may as well start at the top, right? My goal is absolutely one submission a week - no matter what! Just started Chapter Two of my woman's fiction/romance novel ... and have a 50,000 word "novel" that I wrote for NaNoWriMo- haven't even started to edit it. I also participate in Blueline Poetry Forum's poem a day and I really love that. I am trying to find a publisher for a chapbook - wish me luck! Good writing everyone -

Joyce

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Week

JoyceW said:
My goal is absolutely one submission a week - no matter what! J

Joyce

Many years ago, there was an article in The Writer called, I think, "Something Every Friday," or some such. But the gist of the article was how well submitting one piece every Friday worked.

I thought it was a wonderful idea, and followed the practice for about three years, right up until writing novels made it imossible. It worked very, very well.

If you can manage it, I think submitting something each and every week is a great idea.

majiklmoon

Registered
Reaction score
well, I just submitted my romantic fic to WW today - so how about if I submit every Thursday instead lol

JoyceW

Registered
Reaction score
Every Friday is a great idea! So far I've had three rejections and one sale to Byline Magazine! That one sale, small payment, but oh oh - my byline and words in print - what an incredible rush!!

Now, I have a body of work to send to my mentor/dear friend in Oklahoma to see if I have the basis for a book of poetry going. She may be a friend, but as an edtor, she is ruthless in her very kind and proper British way, smile.

In the meantime - submit, submit, submit. I figure if I keep sending at least they will get used to my name and tenacity!

Also, I have a position as copy editor with Moondance (Columns) which I am thrilled about. I worked with them for a couple of years in the Inspirations section -I have several essays in the archives section. They have been online for ten years now and just keep geting better.

Happy Sunday everyone!
Joyce

ozgal

majiklmoon said:
in answer to my own question about submitting to womans world

WOMAN'S WORLD
FICTION GUIDELINES

Romance guidelines:

We buy contemporary romances of 1,100 words.....

We are not interested in stories involving life-or-death matters, nor are we interested in fluffy, flyaway-style romance. When we say romance, what we really mean is relationship--whether it's just beginning or is about to celebrate its 50th anniversary. The emphasis in our stories is on real life-which is why we do not buy science fiction, fantasy or historical romance.

Hi everyone,

Forgive my ignorance but anyone care to elaborate on "fluffy, flyaway-style romance"? I'm not not sure I understand exactly what this means. I enjoy short story writing and focus mainly on relationships between people rather than heavy emphasis on plot (although I understand it's essential to have one).

I'm in Australia so it's a bit difficult to browse through more than a few copies, which I'd have to order before submitting.

Cheers,

ozgal

Status
Not open for further replies.