PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a tattoo?

Lantern Jack
03-17-2006, 04:51 AM
I don't personally, but I was inspired to post this after I walked into Total Tan today. I wasn't tanning, I was applying for a managerial position. I don't tan. I'd prefer to remain pallid and cancer-free than toasted and tumorous, but there were loads of carrot-faced regulars, mostly teenagers. And the guy behind the desk, his arms were sheathed in sepia, and nestled in the crook of his right elbow was a six-inch Don Corleone.

I yo-ed him. "Nice Brando!"

He said, "Thanks, man! Most people think it's Gene Hankman!"

So we had a moment, Mr. Blue Tattoo and I, and it got me to wondering: How many people here are sporting indelible reminders of a moment of youthful indiscretion? Say, at the small of their back and petaled or feathered or occultish, if it's a girl, or some girl's name, if it's a guy, straddling the upper arm---Maisy or Tracy or Roxy or :e2flowers

Stew21
03-17-2006, 05:01 AM
None for me. I cite the reason as fickle and non-commital. I can't imagine there is anything I would want permanently inked on my body right now that would still be something I cared to have in 30 years.
My sister on the other hand, is a tat freak...she has several. That would be the other reason I would cite: they are addictive and I don't want a bunch of them.

I went to high school with a girl who got a tat on her ankle, she became a school teacher. I wonder if her students appreciate Marvin the Martian peeking out from under her nylons on the days she wears a skirt??????

dahmnait
03-17-2006, 05:09 AM
Yes, I have a ... on my .... and a ... on my .... I don't want to give away any identifying markers. ;)

The second was the stupid childhood indescretion. The first I was 26 so I am guessing that falls out of the youthful stage.

Trish, you are so right about the addictive quality. I will get another, and it will be big. I figure if I go back multiple times on one tat, I should get some of the urge to be poked with sharp objects out of my system.

Yeshanu
03-17-2006, 05:15 AM
I don't have a tattoo. Never even tempted, though the thought of having a little Marvin the Martian somewhere where nobody would see it...

Seriously, I look at all these young guys covered in tatoos and wonder, "They want to live 'till they're eighty or more, right? What would they think if they saw an eighty-year-old man (or woman) covered in the tattoos that they have now?" Tatoos are for life.

dahmnait, I'm not going to say, "Don't do it," but please think about you at eighty, with the tatoos you're planning to get. Can you stomach the thought? If so, go ahead. If not, maybe now's the time to be thinking about it...

Just my two cents.

kikazaru
03-17-2006, 05:45 AM
I have quite a few pictures in my house, but not one is hung on the wall - I have them propped up on furniture or stacked in a corner to shuffle thru every once in a while. The reason for this, is indecision - I cannot decide on the perfect spot because once it's up, and the hole is in the wall, it will never be moved. Now, if I cannot stand the thought of having to look at the same picture hung over my breakfast table day in and day out, I most definitely cannot commit to having a drawing permanently inked on my hide. I truly cannot fathom how people can go into a tat shop, look thru a book, and then decide that they would love to be be staring at the same design until death (or dismemberment) do they part. It baffles me. :Shrug:

ChaosTitan
03-17-2006, 05:47 AM
I have toyed with the idea of a tattoo for the last five or six years. Will I ever get one? Dunno. I'd have to get really fired up about the idea first. If I did, it would be something small and innocuous. The one thing that keeps sticking in my mind would be the Chinese characters for "faith." It's a word that means and applies to so many things.

One of my co-workers has amazing tattoos on her upper and lower arms, back, ribs and both armpits. It's a portrait that has taken several years and many many appointments, of a beautiful Japanese lady and an intricate background. Her legs have lovely roses and thorns. The man who has done the work is truly an artist.

Anya Smith
03-17-2006, 06:04 AM
I don't personally, but I was inspired to post this after I walked into Total Tan today. I wasn't tanning, I was applying for a managerial position. I don't tan. I'd prefer to remain pallid and cancer-free than toasted and tumorous, but there were loads of carrot-faced regulars, mostly teenagers. And the guy behind the desk, his arms were sheathed in sepia, and nestled in the crook of his right elbow was a six-inch Don Corleone. :e2flowers

I'm with you on that. I prefer my pallid compexion, and I use sunscreen by the buckets.

As to tattoos, they're not for me. Anything to avoid pain and needles.

Christine N.
03-17-2006, 06:34 AM
I have quite a few pictures in my house, but not one is hung on the wall - I have them propped up on furniture or stacked in a corner to shuffle thru every once in a while. The reason for this, is indecision - I cannot decide on the perfect spot because once it's up, and the hole is in the wall, it will never be moved. Now, if I cannot stand the thought of having to look at the same picture hung over my breakfast table day in and day out, I most definitely cannot commit to having a drawing permanently inked on my hide. I truly cannot fathom how people can go into a tat shop, look thru a book, and then decide that they would love to be be staring at the same design until death (or dismemberment) do they part. It baffles me. :Shrug:

Um, that's why they make spackle and paint. I never fear a hole in my wall, 'cause it can be repaired.

And I do have a tattoo. On my right ankle, a triskelion. It's small, descreet and as long as my ankles don't wrinkle like pantyhose that have fallen down, it won't look too bad when I'm eighty.

Now, my hubby, he has a big fire helmet on one arm and a baby fireman with our son's name and birthdate on his calf. That'll be interesting later in life - lots of red. But he doesn't really go out in the sun anyway - we both burn like bacon. We should own stock in Coppertone.

rtilryarms
03-17-2006, 06:42 AM
a banjo on my knee

PrettySpecialGal
03-17-2006, 06:43 AM
hubby has loads of them, and I'm working up to getting a skull somewhere- just need to find the right spot.

Hubby's first one was my name (we went to high school together) and the addictive beast has overtaken his body. I love it- because he loves it. He's much more committed to things than I am, hence the waiting so long to decide what I want and now I can't decide where. It'll probabaly be another 15 years of mariage before I decide that- but that'll mean there will be much less fading when I'm 80, right?

poetinahat
03-17-2006, 06:47 AM
a banjo on my knee
That is the best tattoo idea I've ever heard.

Carole
03-17-2006, 06:56 AM
I have one. Hubby has six. They'll age right along with us. I see absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of a tattoo on someone who is eighty. Skin will sag. Tattoos will sag. Big deal. If someone doesn't like the sight of my tattoo around my ankle when I am eighty I imagine they ought to find a hobby. It's a part of me.

Stew21
03-17-2006, 07:10 AM
my problem isn't with others' tats. I just don't think I could choose something I would still LIKE. I'm too non-commital in that regard. My sister has some great work done, so does her husband. I'm not put off by them at all. I just am pretty sure at some point I would change my mind.

and yes, a banjo on your knee is brilliant! :)

AdamH
03-17-2006, 07:17 AM
No tat for me, thank you. Everytime I see that show Miami Ink, I think, could be cool to get one. Besides they've got laser treatment that can remove them so they're not really permanent. But I don't know what I'd get if I got one.

Carole
03-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah. I get you, Stew21. I just hear it ALL the time. *What's that thing gonna look like when you're 80?* I also agree...the banjo on the knee is a terrific idea.

Hubby's first tat was a really cool black rose wrapped up in tribal (long before everyone and their brother was getting tribal - now he wishes he'd have chosen something else that wasn't going to become such a common thing) His mom, like most moms I guess, threatened him within an inch of his life if he ever got a tattoo. She said the only thing he was allowed to get would be a tat that said "MOM" because she was pretty sure he'd never do that. Her name is Rose.

Carole
03-17-2006, 07:20 AM
Besides they've got laser treatment that can remove them so they're not really permanent. I knew a girl whose new boyfriend insisted that she get hers removed. He paid for the laser treatment. She told me it smelled like bacon frying every time she went. 8 months into the treatment, her tat was just as bright as it ever was.

AdamH
03-17-2006, 07:25 AM
I knew a girl whose new boyfriend insisted that she get hers removed. He paid for the laser treatment. She told me it smelled like bacon frying every time she went. 8 months into the treatment, her tat was just as bright as it ever was.

Mmmmm bacon...well, that does it. I'm getting a tattoo tomorrow so I could laser it off!

September skies
03-17-2006, 07:34 AM
nope - no tattoos for me - i just don't care for them on me

I have a classmate with the cutest one ever - he has an "hecho en mexico" tattoo on his butt. (ok, I've not seen it, just heard about it at our last class reuion) He claims his parents had sex in mexico on the night he was conceived. LOL

LightShadow
03-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Don't have one, when I was in the Navy my friends couldn't convince me to get one, but my son does and honestly I don't like it...I normally find them a sign of poor judgement, but then again, that's a generalization and wrong, because I have a friend who has one that memorializes his deceased mother and it is one of the coolest things I have ever seen...man I'm confused about this. I tend not to like tattoos, but sometimes they have a place. I guess like anything it ain't so bad in moderation or with the proper motives behind them.

PattiTheWicked
03-17-2006, 08:11 AM
I didn't get my first tattoo until I was in my thirties, after the twinkies were born. I've got three now, the last one I got was in November. I have a witch and three black cats on my left ankle for me and my kids, a Celtic love knot on my right shoulderblade for me and the hubby, and a claymore wrapped in a thistle on my left inside forearm to symbolize my Scottish heritage. I plan on getting several more over the next few years.

It's a bit addictive, tho. Each time I get one I tell myself, "Oh, I am SO doing this again."

LightShadow
03-17-2006, 08:14 AM
addictive? wow.

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a lifesize tattoo of myself.

Chacounne
03-17-2006, 10:28 AM
My husband heard several years ago about a friend of ours who had his lady's symbol tattooed over his heart, and decided he wanted my symbol over his heart, but his doctor his doctor wouldn't let him, because of his diabetes. Dan was terribly disappointed and mentioned it often. When he died on June 12th it passed through my mind that I should have Dan's symbol tattooed over my heart, and when I mentioned it to friends during a conversation on tattooes one night, they loved the idea. So on October 11th in Mobile, Alabama, at 5:30 in the morning, stone-cold sober, I had Dan's symobl (a purple boar's head) tattoed over my heart. It is such a blessing to feel his heartbeat and mine together, and to have him with me always and forever.

Hugs,
Heather

I can't keep my promise; I will love him and honour him and cherish him forever.

Noob
03-17-2006, 10:32 AM
I got 3. Its so long since i took them, i seldom think of them or notise them anymore. Not planing on getting a new one, and dont think any of my tatoos will be that "bad" at age of 80.

dahmnait
03-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I think at 80, the tats will be the least of my body issues. ;)

They are definately permanent, and you should never get one with the idea that "you can always get it removed". Laser removal does not always work and it is way more painful than the tattoo itself.

I have one tattoo I want removed. It was a do-it-yourself deal. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't on my hand. I prefer my tattoos where I can choose to show them or not. I want a dragon and a dog tattooed on my lower back to mid thigh. The design symbolizes my children. I have another unique design going under my hairline on my neck for my best friend and my current tattoo (that wasn't a mistake) is for me. It symbolizes who I am, in the form of a dolphin. I have one more that I have toyed with. I wanted a snake tattooed around my ankle and down my foot (Don't tread on me), but I can't hide that.

What can I say, I think tattoos, when done well, are beautiful.

dahmnait
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
My husband heard several years ago about a friend of ours who had his lady's symbol tattooed over his heart, and decided he wanted my symbol over his heart, but his doctor his doctor wouldn't let him, because of his diabetes. Dan was terribly disappointed and mentioned it often. When he died on June 12th it passed through my mind that I should have Dan's symbol tattooed over my heart, and when I mentioned it to friends during a conversation on tattooes one night, they loved the idea. So on October 11th in Mobile, Alabama, at 5:30 in the morning, stone-cold sober, I had Dan's symobl (a purple boar's head) tattoed over my heart. It is such a blessing to feel his heartbeat and mine together, and to have him with me always and forever.

Hugs,
Heather

I can't keep my promise; Iwill love him and honour him and cherish him forever.What a beautiful story.

Carole
03-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Mmmmm bacon...well, that does it. I'm getting a tattoo tomorrow so I could laser it off!
Heyyyy...how about a tattoo of bacon?

eldragon
03-17-2006, 05:18 PM
What's that thing gonna look like when you're 80?*

By the time you are 80, your looks are gone anyway. I was hoping this wasn't a general a statement, but after racking my brain for a few seconds, I think I'm right. No one looks good at 80. And from the nursing home residents I know from volunteering, I would say that 85 is pretty much the cut-off age for most people anyway. Few can live alone after 85, pretty much nobody after 90.

When you consider some other things that are going on after 80, say.........loss of bladder control, for instance, I'd think a tattoo couldn't possibly hurt your image.

My old best friend, Mary Greer, was 86 when she died. She used to joke about how disgusting it was to be that old. She said nobody is pretty at that age.

So, get a tattoo if you want one.

Just like everything else, you can't take it with you.

I don't have one. I don't even like the way they look. Plus, I'm a bit older (42,) and tattoos weren't so popular when I was in my twenties. I went through the spiked hair stage, though. I do think piercings are sexy. A nose ring looks beautiful, in my opinion.

However, I can't fathom getting your tongue pierced, and so many young people are getting it done. I know a 16 year old girl with her tongue pierced. WHY?????

eldragon
03-17-2006, 05:23 PM

Hugs,
Heather

I can't keep my promise; I will love him and honour him and cherish him forever.

Heather, you were so lucky to have him. And he was lucky to have you. It's wonderful that you have the memory of him to cherish forever.

A tattoo to honor a person who has passed is a beautiful memorial. As a symbol, it makes more sense to me than a gravestone.

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 06:25 PM
No one looks good at 80.

I thought Cary Grant looked pretty good when he was in his 80s. Not sure how old Sean Connery is, but he still looks good.

Yeshanu
03-17-2006, 07:47 PM
Heather, you were so lucky to have him. And he was lucky to have you. It's wonderful that you have the memory of him to cherish forever.

A tattoo to honor a person who has passed is a beautiful memorial. As a symbol, it makes more sense to me than a gravestone.

I definitely agree with this. Heather, your story was beautiful.

Pam, I do disagree with your statement about folks over eighty. As a minister in a mainline suburban church, I came into contact with a fair number of them, and they are, for the most part, beautiful people, full of dignity.

The spiked hair and even the piercings are transient changes, though I feel, as you do, that tongue-piercing is a bit far-out. But tatoos are generally lifetime committments.

Yes, Heather's story shows that tatoos have their place, and I certainly agree that a lot of tatoo artists are worthy of the title "artist." But I do believe that too many tatoos in conspicuous places detract from the beauty of the human body rather than add to it.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with small, discrete tatoos if that's what you want and you're sure you can live with it for life. But think first, please. Not only will you hopefully be eighty some day, but you also might want to apply for a job where image is important, and having a whole pile of conspicuous tatoos is not going to endear you to the interviewer.

Again, just my two cents. Feel free to disagree if you want. After all, it's your life and your body, and your choice to make. :cool:

Word Addict
03-17-2006, 08:08 PM
I like the naturally flowing, graceful lines of the human body. I feel that tattoos break up that visual line and detract from its natural beauty.

I remember watching one of America's star male gymnasts several years ago. His name escapes me. Like all gymnasts, he had a physique which was very nice to behold, but every time he raised his arms he revealed a small tattoo in his bicep area which completely spoiled the view for me.

Of course that's JMHO...:)

CaroGirl
03-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Nope. I would, but I don't. My friend has a ladybug on the top of her foot, that just looks like she has a bug on her foot. My MIL, who's like 64 or something, went to Holland and came home with a rose on her ankle. Good for her, I say. To each his own, c'est la vie, live and let live, and stuff like that.