PDA

View Full Version : Strange Chemistry is gone

Christine N.
06-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I got the news yesterday, but wasn't allowed to say anything until today.

http://strangechemistrybooks.com/2014/06/20/news-about-strange-chemistry/

You could say I'm a little upset. That would be an understatement. I wanted to throw up. I know it's not my fault, but I'm having feelings of failure. I know some of the other authors are just as upset, some not so much.

But there it is. Will go off and hang head now.

Misa Buckley
06-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Huge sympathies. *hugs*

Saskatoonistan
06-20-2014, 04:11 PM
Keep at it. I am. Long haul. Chin up.

JFitchett92
06-20-2014, 04:43 PM
I can't possibly imagine how you must be feeling right now. But look at the bright side, your book was going to be published. It's good, it's print ready, all you need to do is wait for someone else to scoop it up. Something tells me you won't be waiting long :)

Best of luck!

EMaree
06-20-2014, 05:17 PM
*hugs*

I'm just a ball of upset and rage right now, for all the brilliant SC authors who've been abandoned.

stormie
06-20-2014, 05:22 PM
You're a good writer. Maybe this is an indirect way to a bigger publisher picking up your work.

Hugs!

Phaeal
06-20-2014, 05:35 PM
That is truly wretched news for you and the other authors scheduled for release or recently acquired. Ugh and ugh and ugh.

Absolutely best wishes for a quick placement elsewhere! That you impressed this highly regarded publisher is a point in your favor.

Calla Lily
06-20-2014, 05:41 PM
*hugs* Dittoing everyone else in this thread.

Project Deadlight
06-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Lots of hugs to those affected, hated hearing this news this morning.

Ellaroni
06-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Awful news - all my sympathy to those authors affected.

Christine N - Must be terrible to get this news when you were so close to publication. Keep faith in your book. I don't know you, but hand out a hug anyway.

Torgo
06-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Really bad news. My thoughts are with everyone affected.

kenpochick
06-20-2014, 06:14 PM
((BIG HUGS)) to all affected. Terrible news.

amergina
06-20-2014, 06:31 PM
So condolences to everyone affected. So disheartening.

Kylabelle
06-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Oh, what a shame! I hope what Phael said proves true for everyone, and this works to your later benefit in that way, at least.

Perks
06-20-2014, 06:40 PM
That's hard news. I'm so sorry.

Siri Kirpal
06-20-2014, 11:37 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

How sad! May you and all other affected authors find new congenial homes for your books quickly.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

phantasy
06-21-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm so sorry. Hope your novel finds a better home.

Undercover
06-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Really sad news, Christine. I remember how hard you had it with the agent thing too. I sincerely hope you find a new (and much better) home for your book soon.

Little Ming
06-21-2014, 12:57 AM
Wow. Did not see that coming. Never submitted to them, but still liked them and thought they would be around a lot longer.

While I understand imprints do occasionally close, this one seemed to come out of nowhere. Don't publishers usually give their authors some advance warning? (Good publishers, I mean; not the terrible ones that take your money and leave the country.)

Hanson
06-21-2014, 01:10 AM
Very unsettling.

Market Saturation is a 'snow' term. ,by that I mean meaningless.

But what it does tell us, is that's is pretty damned tough for the smaller publishers out there. If a quality publisher with a well recognised imprint like Angry Robots can't push into a fairly wide niche, it's a sad day for all.

Fair play to them for trying. Hope they stay the distance re AR and other ventures.

WriterTrek
06-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Sad to see this imprint shut down, and very sad for everyone who is directly affected by it. Horrible news, and best of luck to you and your books finding homes elsewhere.

Mr Flibble
06-21-2014, 01:23 AM
I can't possibly imagine how you must be feeling right now. But look at the bright side, your book was going to be published. It's good, it's print ready, all you need to do is wait for someone else to scoop it up. Something tells me you won't be waiting long :)

Best of luck!

Not so easy for those with two books out in a three book series, sadly. One author (with stellar reviews for the first two) was expecting the third to be pubbed in August. Now it won't be. How the rights revert for that I don't know (because for a series it's helpful for it all to be done as a package and...)

And yeah this sucks big style, for the authors and the editors - Amanda is fantastic at what she does, and very passionate about it. Their books seem to have been going great guns, critically acclaimed, award nommed, well respected imprint etc. This is a bit of a bolt from the blue. I have heard a rumour or two as to why, but as they are only rumours I won't speculate here

But really, my heart goes out to you all. I hope you can all find homes for other books/series elsewhere.

Hanson
06-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Not so easy for those with two books out in a three book series, sadly. One author (with stellar reviews for the first two) was expecting the third to be pubbed in August. Now it won't be. How the rights revert for that I don't know (because for a series it's helpful for it all to be done as a package and...)

Tragic. Nightmarish stuff for any author.

And yeah this sucks big style, for the authors and the editors - Amanda is fantastic at what she does, and very passionate about it. Their books seem to have been going great guns, critically acclaimed, award nommed, well respected imprint etc. This is a bit of a bolt from the blue. I have heard a rumour or two as to why, but as they are only rumours I won't speculate here

Yeah, not buying the mkt saturation myself. I am curious though.

TBH, it's a huge shock. I think it's vitally important that independent publishers can maintain an impact in the publishing world.

BeeGem
06-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Damn. That really sucks. Best of luck to all the affected authors.

eyeblink
06-21-2014, 02:43 AM
Crap. Hope the authors with cancelled books can find a home elsewhere.

Christine N.
06-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Thanks.

I was told...yesterday afternoon. But I should have known something was up. My cover was over a month late. My editor stopped replying to status update emails. She was really upset over it, but what could she say? She's likely out of a job.

It sucks all the way around. Now I wonder if they'll kick me out of SFWA, since I no longer have a contract.

jjdebenedictis
06-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Oh, crap. It must feel like the floor just collapsed and you're in free-fall. To all the authors affected: I'm so sorry.

ladybritches
06-21-2014, 07:07 AM
This is really sad news. So sorry for the authors left hanging.

Liosse de Velishaf
06-21-2014, 07:57 AM
That really sucks. I'd heard almost entirely good things about SC.

Good luck with everything.

lauralam
06-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Yeah, it sucks. They turned down my third book months ago citing low sales (3 weeks after publication, before I'd even had my UK launch for Shadowplay), but I wonder now if it's because they knew this was coming.

I'd like to self-publish the third and finish the story, but now I don't know what's up with the first two books. I guess it depends who buys Angry Robot. In the meantime, loads of uncertainty. Blargh. I am lucky in that I had a HUGE outpouring of support yesterday of people who said they'd support a Kickstarter if that's the route I go down, so that was really reassuring.

I'm sorry your book was pulled. I hope you can find another home for it.

Saskatoonistan
06-21-2014, 02:22 PM
My thoughts FWIW ... too many books too fast.

Christine N.
06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
that could be. Laura, that stinks for you. The one lucky thing was that at least the book was never published. I don't have to wait to have rights returned since the contract was just canceled.

I hope you do get the third book out there and get the other two back without problems.

They did have some of the best cover art.

LeslieB
06-21-2014, 02:57 PM
That's just terrible. All the authors have my best wishes and prayers that they find new, better homes for their books.

bearilou
06-21-2014, 05:28 PM
I guess it depends who buys Angry Robot.

Wait, what? I thought they said Angry Robots was still robust and it's just the two imprints that were closing.

For all who are affected, this sucks and I wish you all the best and much luck in moving forward. This must be a horrible blow.

Filigree
06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
There are rumblings that Osprey may have Angry Robot up for sale behind the scenes - soon, if not already. Depending on potential corporate buyers, it might be the best thing for AR. Especially if Osprey are not committed to keeping AR's good brand name going.

I'm pissed off for the Strange Chemistry authors cut loose without a net. But there is still the possibility that a new owner could restart the SC line.

amergina
06-21-2014, 10:15 PM
Wait, what? I thought they said Angry Robots was still robust and it's just the two imprints that were closing.

Some details are here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8934592#post8934592

bearilou
06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
There are rumblings that Osprey may have Angry Robot up for sale behind the scenes - soon, if not already. Depending on potential corporate buyers, it might be the best thing for AR. Especially if Osprey are not committed to keeping AR's good brand name going.

I'm pissed off for the Strange Chemistry authors cut loose without a net. But there is still the possibility that a new owner could restart the SC line.

and

Some details are here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8934592#post8934592

Oooh. Thanks for the info. I've always had my eye on Angry Robot. This is good to know.

lauralam
06-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I think AR will land on their feet. They were let loose from HarperCollins a few years ago and they made it work.

I just wish I knew what to do in the meantime. Been trying to work on the third book but it's depressing.

Filigree
06-22-2014, 12:40 AM
It sucks for those of you in limbo, I know. Most folks don't have the luxury of waiting around to see if AR goes to a good home, and if the new owners see enough profit in SC to restart it.

I know AR is primarily an agent-only house. Does anyone know if they are still taking submissions, agented or not?

Saskatoonistan
06-22-2014, 01:00 AM
Yeah, I think AR will land on their feet. They were let loose from HarperCollins a few years ago and they made it work.

I just wish I knew what to do in the meantime. Been trying to work on the third book but it's depressing.

You have one of the best literary agents in the UK. Check your contract regarding reversion of rights. It's possible SC might wind up being bought, might not. I know how you feel, it's like walking around with your pants down by your ankles, but it is what it is. I think you're a fine writer ... I'd like to see you tinker with adult stuff too. :)

lauralam
06-22-2014, 01:06 AM
I've a book going on sub to publishers soon and it's adult sci fi, so here's hoping! My agent is awesome so I'm sure longterm it'll be fine. But in the shorterm it's hard to work on the book when I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing w/ it yet.

Mclesh
06-22-2014, 01:30 AM
Very sorry to read this, Christine. How heart wrenching. As the others said, I hope you find a better home for your book.

Lauralam, best of luck to you, too. This situation sucks.

Hugs to all the SC authors left hanging. :Hug2:

triceretops
06-22-2014, 01:35 AM
Just got the email on this one. I was still under consideration via the agent, but it can't be as bad as those who had contracts and were in editing or final production. This was just all so SUDDEN. What a heart-breaker.

tri:e2grouphu

Christine N.
06-22-2014, 03:03 AM
My book was scheduled to go to NetGalley next month. All that was left was proofreading and cover art (which should have been done a month ago-- SOMEONE knew something that far out.)

Roxxsmom
06-22-2014, 03:56 AM
Argh! This is awful. So sorry to hear this, and I hope the affected authors can find another path to publication for their books. Wish they'd at least seen fit to finish out the series and publish the titles they'd already acquired.

lauralam
06-23-2014, 01:21 AM
I feel super bad for Kat Ross. Some Fine Day was meant to be out July 1st :-(

William Haskins
06-23-2014, 05:09 AM
best wishes to all affected.

a fond send-off from io9:

http://io9.com/excellent-ya-imprint-strange-chemistry-is-closing-why-1594017201

shelleyo
06-23-2014, 08:32 AM
:(

I hope everyone finds new homes for their stories or self-publishes them to great ka-chings.

Little Ming
06-27-2014, 02:37 AM
Announcing the Appointment of Lee Harris as the Tor.com Imprint Senior Editor (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/06/lee-harris-senior-editor-torcom-imprint)

Tor.com: The Imprint (http://www.tor.com/imprint) is pleased to announce today the hire of a Senior Editor. Lee Harris, of Angry Robot, will join the team late summer.I don't know what this means. But I think it means something. Or nothing. I don't know.

millymollymo
06-27-2014, 05:38 AM
This might help, Little Ming
http://leeaharris.com/a-new-direction/

SC had such a following but followers and goodwill doesn't balance the bank :( I am sure all the authors snarled up in this will come out the other side because of the awesome rep SC has. But that doesn't shut the voices up does it. :/