Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I got the news yesterday, but wasn't allowed to say anything until today.

http://strangechemistrybooks.com/2014/06/20/news-about-strange-chemistry/

You could say I'm a little upset. That would be an understatement. I wanted to throw up. I know it's not my fault, but I'm having feelings of failure. I know some of the other authors are just as upset, some not so much.

But there it is. Will go off and hang head now.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
I can't possibly imagine how you must be feeling right now. But look at the bright side, your book was going to be published. It's good, it's print ready, all you need to do is wait for someone else to scoop it up. Something tells me you won't be waiting long :)

Best of luck!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
*hugs*

I'm just a ball of upset and rage right now, for all the brilliant SC authors who've been abandoned.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
That is truly wretched news for you and the other authors scheduled for release or recently acquired. Ugh and ugh and ugh.

Absolutely best wishes for a quick placement elsewhere! That you impressed this highly regarded publisher is a point in your favor.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
Awful news - all my sympathy to those authors affected.

Christine N - Must be terrible to get this news when you were so close to publication. Keep faith in your book. I don't know you, but hand out a hug anyway.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, what a shame! I hope what Phael said proves true for everyone, and this works to your later benefit in that way, at least.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

How sad! May you and all other affected authors find new congenial homes for your books quickly.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. Hope your novel finds a better home.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Really sad news, Christine. I remember how hard you had it with the agent thing too. I sincerely hope you find a new (and much better) home for your book soon.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Did not see that coming. Never submitted to them, but still liked them and thought they would be around a lot longer.

While I understand imprints do occasionally close, this one seemed to come out of nowhere. Don't publishers usually give their authors some advance warning? (Good publishers, I mean; not the terrible ones that take your money and leave the country.)

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Very unsettling.

Market Saturation is a 'snow' term. ,by that I mean meaningless.

But what it does tell us, is that's is pretty damned tough for the smaller publishers out there. If a quality publisher with a well recognised imprint like Angry Robots can't push into a fairly wide niche, it's a sad day for all.

Fair play to them for trying. Hope they stay the distance re AR and other ventures.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to see this imprint shut down, and very sad for everyone who is directly affected by it. Horrible news, and best of luck to you and your books finding homes elsewhere.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I can't possibly imagine how you must be feeling right now. But look at the bright side, your book was going to be published. It's good, it's print ready, all you need to do is wait for someone else to scoop it up. Something tells me you won't be waiting long :)

Best of luck!

Not so easy for those with two books out in a three book series, sadly. One author (with stellar reviews for the first two) was expecting the third to be pubbed in August. Now it won't be. How the rights revert for that I don't know (because for a series it's helpful for it all to be done as a package and...)

And yeah this sucks big style, for the authors and the editors - Amanda is fantastic at what she does, and very passionate about it. Their books seem to have been going great guns, critically acclaimed, award nommed, well respected imprint etc. This is a bit of a bolt from the blue. I have heard a rumour or two as to why, but as they are only rumours I won't speculate here

But really, my heart goes out to you all. I hope you can all find homes for other books/series elsewhere.

Last edited:

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
Not so easy for those with two books out in a three book series, sadly. One author (with stellar reviews for the first two) was expecting the third to be pubbed in August. Now it won't be. How the rights revert for that I don't know (because for a series it's helpful for it all to be done as a package and...)

Tragic. Nightmarish stuff for any author.

And yeah this sucks big style, for the authors and the editors - Amanda is fantastic at what she does, and very passionate about it. Their books seem to have been going great guns, critically acclaimed, award nommed, well respected imprint etc. This is a bit of a bolt from the blue. I have heard a rumour or two as to why, but as they are only rumours I won't speculate here

Yeah, not buying the mkt saturation myself. I am curious though.

TBH, it's a huge shock. I think it's vitally important that independent publishers can maintain an impact in the publishing world.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Crap. Hope the authors with cancelled books can find a home elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.