Tony Horwitz: "I Was A Digital Best Seller!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Author Tony Horwitz writes an interesting piece in the NYT about his foray into longform nonfiction ebooks, the Byliner implosion and the challenges of promoting online: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/06/20/opinion/i-was-a-digital-best-seller.html

This type of thing is sad - I had hopes for Byliner - but it's not all that different from the pre-digital era, I think it's important to note. Some freelancers have always had articles killed at the last minute, some publications have always gone under, and some book projects have always posted disappointing sales.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I read then skimmed the article. It said nothing interesting, just underlined the fact that publishing in any arena is a tough business.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I found it very interesting.

First, it's Tony Horowitz. It's not as if, in print, a book wouldn't have the support he noted, in addition to shelf space and/or promotional spots in a variety of bookstores. I'd guess my local independent would have put it up front; had I seen it with his name on it, I guarantee I'd have picked it up to look at, at the least.

Second, a bestseller can be had for 700 copies, apparently.

Third, were he not who he is, and was a regular person who'd signed with Byliner, that'd likely have been that. Also that Byliner, touted as something real, had no marketing or promotion beyond 'ask your family to write Amazon reviews.'

Finally, Byliner wasn't supposed to be a fly-by-night, and yet, lookit.

As JW notes, that can happen in any space, but it seems to be fairly fast and unpredictable in this one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.