Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com

I feel like I shouldn't have known what that video would be before I clicked it, but I did.

sale_zps92e03875.gif

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
Remember do the smart thing. Don't buy anything till the 29/30th if it's not on Daily Deal/Flash sales. Otherwise Steam will collect your bitter tear in the vessel of whinge and pain :tongue

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Good advice, CasperTom. I've only bought one game so far. It was already 75% off and $2.50. I don't forsee it going lower. I may be wrong, but it was only $2.50, so no big loss.

Business plan: collect steam cards by buying and voting on games. Sell for money to buy more games. Get more cards for buying games. Repeat.

CoffeeBeans

Registered
Reaction score
I am powerless in the face of the Steam Sale. Damn them.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score

Lol, when I saw the quote, what I expected was this, instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhuewundDxc

(Love "Bolt"!)

OMG, Steam Sale! :Sun:

Unfortunately, I got most of what I liked before this sale (ex: Skyrim), or I already have it on consoles (ex: AC V: Black Flag), or I bought them from Good Old Games (gog.com).

I managed to get Psychonauts for my sister, and then another copy of Dragon Age: Origins for myself. :)

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I love this team competition thing.

Not because I actually think there's any chance of me winning free games, but because demand has driven the price for the collector cards up on the Steam marketplace. I have no real interest in most of the badges, so I've been selling them for 15-25 cents apiece, sometimes more for the smaller games. Already paid for three new games off the proceeds. :) (The Journey Below, Fable lost chapters and Battleblock Theater)

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I feel like a few days ago I had money, but now all I have are these games I'll play once and forget about...

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Last day of the sale. Buy 'em if you want 'em, sell or use your cards if you got 'em. They will not stay in your inventory past tomorrow at 10AM Pacific.

I knew the legends of the Steam Sale. I heard the tales of the siren call. I didn't believe them. I went in expecting to get two, maybe three games. I emerge with 13. I never knew... I was a fool...

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Last day of the sale. Buy 'em if you want 'em, sell or use your cards if you got 'em. They will not stay in your inventory past tomorrow at 10AM Pacific.
What are these card things? I seem to have a bunch of them, but I don't really get the point.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
What are these card things? I seem to have a bunch of them, but I don't really get the point.

The idea of the cards is to collect all 10 and craft a badge. You earned them by a) voting on the community choice games 3 times, b) buying $10 worth of games, or c) Doing stuff for your team (explained below). Every badge crafted gives you free stuff: a background, an emoticon, and an in-game item.

This sale, Steam ran a team competition where you were randomly sorted into one of five teams. If you crafted a badge, you earned points for your team. If your team won for the day, 30 random people on that team who raised points for their team got 3 games off their wishlist. The competition is now over, though.

Any you have, put them on the market or craft them before 10AM PST tomorrow, when they're going to vanish. I don't know how they'll sell since the competition side is over, but some people may still be rushing to make the badges and get the items.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score

I knew the legends of the Steam Sale. I heard the tales of the siren call. I didn't believe them. I went in expecting to get two, maybe three games. I emerge with 13. I never knew... I was a fool...

HAH!

Age of Empires 2 and Europa Universalis IV! That's it!

FIVE DOTS OF CONVICTION, MOTHERFUCKER!

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
HAH!

Age of Empires 2 and Europa Universalis IV! That's it!

FIVE DOTS OF CONVICTION, MOTHERFUCKER!

Well done! I get, like, one dot of conviction, because I didn't buy anything that wasn't a daily deal except for one game that was less than $2.50.

It's 14 now. My brother-in-law sent me a last minute gift from my wishlist. I bought 9 myself, gave 3 gifts, and got 5 gifts.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend on Steam, I'm sneakymonkeysa. :)

MrCasperTom

Registered
Reaction score
I only bought a few games in the end (Walking Dead Season 2 and a few LEGO games.) Debated whether to buy Skyrim as my laptop would just overheat while playing it and, in the end, the sale ended before I decided :tongue

Lissibith

On target
Registered
Reaction score
I'm too ashamed to tally up my purchases, but I will say I spent less than $30 on games.

(I did spend significantly more on a piece of music-writing software and the Cakewalk instrument packs I needed, but considering it was something I've wanted for ages and was half off, I refuse to feel bad about it :) )

Already spent waaaaay too much time playing Game Dev Tycoon, and am loving the aesthetic of Contrast.

Latina Bunny

Lover of Contemporary/Fantasy Romance (she/her)
Registered
Reaction score
I managed to also snatch Bioware's "Knight of the Old Republic" series, since I've never played them before, and because I love Star Wars. :)
I'm playing the first one, and I am enjoying it. :)

I also got "Shadowrun Returns" and its DLC. I am enjoying it, especially its science-fantasy setting (cyberpunk mixed with magic, elves, dragons, dwarves, trolls, etc). I think a few people have called it "Elf Punk"?
What struck me, in one specific campaign, was how friendly some of the characters are, despite the cyberpunk background. I like that very much. :) Sure, some characters back-stab, but some of the others seem friendly enough (so far, lol). It's an interesting universe, and I liked it.

I was tempted to buy "Transistor" because of its beautiful art style and cyberpunk setting, but I ended up not buying it, because of its **spoilers** (highlight to read)suicidal themes--including the suicide of the MC in the ending. I also don't enjoy vague plots, either. May be why lots of indie games annoy me. As someone who is struggling with such issues, this game would not be good for me.

I also got an Alpha of an indie game about building and managing a prison called "Prison Architect". It's cute and funny, especially with its simple graphics. It gets a little chaotic and buggy at times, but I like this simulation.

Last edited:

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The story lines in all of the Knights of the Old Republic series are quite awesome.

I ended up picking up Bioshock Infinite and have been immersed in that story line for a few days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.