Toddler dies after being forgotten in SUV all day

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know (consider this a trigger warning), this story is exactly as horrible as it sounds.

Yesterday's high in Atlanta was 92 degrees. Dad was going to do his usual, drop the kid off at the day care on the way to work...
...EARLIER STORY: By the time a father realized he had left his toddler strapped in a carseat inside a steaming SUV all day Wednesday, it was too late. The 22-month-old was dead.

That father’s horrific realization turned into a frantic race to revive the child in the parking lot of a busy Cobb County shopping center Wednesday afternoon. The distraught man, whose name was not released, had to be handcuffed by arriving officers as witnesses and then paramedics administered CPR, according to Cobb County police.

“What have I done? What have I done?” witnesses heard the man scream. “I’ve killed our child.”
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/breaking-news/child-believed-left-in-car-in-cobb-has-died/ngNdR/

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
...well...that's just what we needed. The world is full of stories worth discussing, where we can tease out meaning and use from the events that happen around us - whether they're good or bad.

This story has literally nothing to say beyond...well, fuck.

Fuck.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
This happens every year (since airbags moved baby seats into the back) and must be just horrible for everyone. Someone needs to come up with some kind of alarm system.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
These stories are so goddamn heartbreaking :(.

It looks like they're charging (or planning to charge) the father with murder.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It isn't murder. That requires evidence of premeditation. This is manslaughter .

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I bet it's still better than the grief and guilt he'll have to face for the rest of his life.

Sigh. Heartbreaking.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
This happens every year (since airbags moved baby seats into the back) and must be just horrible for everyone. Someone needs to come up with some kind of alarm system.
Or use an accountability system. Husband/wife call to check up.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
This is one of those things where I feel like prosecution is a bit much. It certainly wasn't murder, there was no drugs or alcohol involved, he just...forgot. It was an accident pure and simple and one he's obviously already suffering greatly with.

I do think there should be an investigation to be sure of the facts, and he is without a doubt guilty of negligence, but what good is throwing him in jail going to do anybody?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Unless they can somehow argue he did it on purpose and was only pretending it was an accident, I don't see it either.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
This is one of those things where I feel like prosecution is a bit much. It certainly wasn't murder, there was no drugs or alcohol involved, he just...forgot. It was an accident pure and simple and one he's obviously already suffering greatly with.

I do think there should be an investigation to be sure of the facts, and he is without a doubt guilty of negligence, but what good is throwing him in jail going to do anybody?
Yeah.

I once saw on the news a piece about this waitress who brought her baby to her work because she couldn't find a babysitter. She left him in the car but checked on him regularly. Unfortunately one of those times brought bad news.

She was in jail when she was interviewed. Sad. She hadn't been a neglectful mother, and had tried her best under the circumstances. During the interview she looked like she didn't even care she was in jail, she was so devastated at the death of her baby.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
What about having the daycare be required to call when the kid doesn't show up? If parents want to keep a kid home for the day, they can call and let the daycare know.

Schools call if a kid doesn't come to class unexpectedly. I think it makes sense that a daycare could do the same.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Someone needs to come up with some kind of alarm system.

The parents themselves can do this. I've read where some women leaved their purses by the child and some say they put a teddy bear on top of their belongings that they have to take in with them.

I just can't comprehend that instant when the parent remembers where their kid is...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine if daycares do that--call to check on absent children--but I don't think responsibility can be or should be shifted to daycares.

I'm not saying it's the daycare's responsibility if a parent does something this stupid. Just that if it was a standard policy to call if a child didn't show up within a certain period of time, it might prevent this from happening because the parents would then be reminded before being at work all day.

The parent is still responsible for leaving the child in the car, but it would be an easy way to help prevent these worst case scenarios from playing out.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The parents themselves can do this. I've read where some women leaved their purses by the child and some say they put a teddy bear on top of their belongings that they have to take in with them.

I just can't comprehend that instant when the parent remembers where their kid is...

betcha if they put the phone or the ipad in baby's lap, they'll remember...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Making it a policy is fine. It's a smart move, imo. But it seemed you were suggesting a legal requirement, making it a law that daycares have to call to check on absent children. I don't think that's a good idea.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Or use an accountability system. Husband/wife call to check up.
You mean call each other, or the daycare? I can almost hear the husband's absent-mindedness to the wife's call:
"Of course I dropped him off at daycare - I'm here at work."
betcha if they put the phone or the ipad in baby's lap, they'll remember...
I was thinking of an alarm system something like that. It might be much to attach a cellphone to the baby, but you could attach an RFID tag to the wrist or on a necklace, and put a cellphone-based system in the babyseat that would be able to regularly read the RFID tag as present or absent, and make emergency calls to parents if the temperature goes too low or too high. Or just sent text messages with updates, saying "baby went absent from carseat" at 8:37AM, just when he's expected to be dropped off at daycare.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
Someone should just re-engineer those PetSafe shock collars for human use. Attach the transmitter to the child and the receiver to the adult. If the adult wanders far enough away from the child, the adult gets shocked.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Making it a policy is fine. It's a smart move, imo. But it seemed you were suggesting a legal requirement, making it a law that daycares have to call to check on absent children. I don't think that's a good idea.

Nope, I just mean standard policy among daycare facilities.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Here's Gene Weingarten's Pulitzer Prize-winning article about these tragic cases, Fatal Distraction. Well worth a read if you haven't before.
Two decades ago, this was relatively rare. But in the early 1990s, car-safety experts declared that passenger-side front airbags could kill children, and they recommended that child seats be moved to the back of the car; then, for even more safety for the very young, that the baby seats be pivoted to face the rear. If few foresaw the tragic consequence of the lessened visibility of the child . . . well, who can blame them? What kind of person forgets a baby

The wealthy do, it turns out. And the poor, and the middle class. Parents of all ages and ethnicities do it. Mothers are just as likely to do it as fathers. It happens to the chronically absent-minded and to the fanatically organized, to the college-educated and to the marginally literate. In the last 10 years, it has happened to a dentist. A postal clerk. A social worker. A police officer. An accountant. A soldier. A paralegal. An electrician. A Protestant clergyman. A rabbinical student. A nurse. A construction worker. An assistant principal. It happened to a mental health counselor, a college professor and a pizza chef. It happened to a pediatrician. It happened to a rocket scientist.

Last year it happened three times in one day, the worst day so far in the worst year so far in a phenomenon that gives no sign of abating.

The facts in each case differ a little, but always there is the terrible moment when the parent realizes what he or she has done, often through a phone call from a spouse or caregiver. This is followed by a frantic sprint to the car. What awaits there is the worst thing in the world.
There’s a dismayingly cartoonish expression for what happened to Lyn Balfour on March 30, 2007. British psychologist James Reason coined the term the “Swiss Cheese Model” in 1990 to explain through analogy why catastrophic failures can occur in organizations despite multiple layers of defense. Reason likens the layers to slices of Swiss cheese, piled upon each other, five or six deep. The holes represent small, potentially insignificant weaknesses. Things will totally collapse only rarely, he says, but when they do, it is by coincidence -- when all the holes happen to align so that there is a breach through the entire system.

On the day Balfour forgot Bryce in the car, she had been up much of the night, first babysitting for a friend who had to take her dog to an emergency vet clinic, then caring for Bryce, who was cranky with a cold. Because the baby was also tired, he uncharacteristically dozed in the car, so he made no noise. Because Balfour was planning to bring Bryce’s usual car seat to the fire station to be professionally installed, Bryce was positioned in a different car seat that day, not behind the passenger but behind the driver, and was thus not visible in the rear-view mirror. Because the family’s second car was on loan to a relative, Balfour drove her husband to work that day, meaning the diaper bag was in the back, not on the passenger seat, as usual, where she could see it. Because of a phone conversation with a young relative in trouble, and another with her boss about a crisis at work, Balfour spent most of the trip on her cell, stressed, solving other people’s problems. Because the babysitter had a new phone, it didn’t yet contain Balfour’s office phone number, only her cell number, meaning that when the sitter phoned to wonder why Balfour hadn’t dropped Bryce off that morning, it rang unheard in Balfour’s pocketbook.

The holes, all of them, aligned.
Humans, Hickling said, have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible.

In hyperthermia cases, he believes, the parents are demonized for much the same reasons. “We are vulnerable, but we don’t want to be reminded of that. We want to believe that the world is understandable and controllable and unthreatening, that if we follow the rules, we’ll be okay. So, when this kind of thing happens to other people, we need to put them in a different category from us. We don’t want to resemble them, and the fact that we might is too terrifying to deal with. So, they have to be monsters.”

After Lyn Balfour’s acquittal, this comment appeared on the Charlottesville News Web site:

“If she had too many things on her mind then she should have kept her legs closed and not had any kids. They should lock her in a car during a hot day and see what happens.”

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
An RFDI equipt pacifier would work wonders, especially if it became standard for the industry. A paci in a sleeping child's mouth would signal the parent that the child is present in the vehicle once they're more than a certain distance from the car.

Likewise, a pressure sensor in the car seat linked to the parent's smartphone. If the sensor recognizes weight, it sounds an alarm if the temperature goes above 75 or 80 degrees.

It's something for automakers to think about adding to their standard features on a car, too. Once a carseat is buckled, an alert sounds on the dashboard when the car is stopped to remind the driver there's a kidlet behind them. The alert stops when the buckle is disengaged.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
How about even just a proximity detector? Like a pacifier or something that sends a message to your phone when you're more than a certain distance from the child?

Not just in the car, but in general?

Last edited:

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/141253/car_seat_alarms_wont_prevent

There are a ton of products already on the market. This article highlights some of the problems with them.

A few years ago I had an idea for a product that could stop this from happening. I partnered with some people, and started going through the patenting process. Unfortunately, someone else had the same idea, and made it through development. Coincidentally, we live in the same city. His is on the market, but it's expensive, and not being widely marketed, despite receiving a fair amount of buzz.